Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

Recently added byarena100, areni55, areni33

I zipped through this book! I found it really interesting, the way the author wrote in ?second person? That is, she wrote it from her perspective, but directed it to her husband. "You are walking down the hall," and "you become angry at this..." I would have never thought I could appreciate a novel written this way, but I did1

I'm anxious to read her other novel, "Sister". I'd like to see more by Ms. Lupton!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Another gripping novel by Rosamund Lupton, with twist after twist to keep your mind busy. I even got used to the idea that the novel was written in the voice of a ghost - or perhaps she was an angel? ( )
  jvgravy | Oct 16, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed 'Sister' by Ms. Lupton so was anxious to read 'Afterwards.' I was not disappointed. It's a psychological mystery with plenty of twists and turns. Ms. Lupton certainly knows how to develop her characters and I felt as though I knew most of them. The protagonist is Grace who is critically injured in a fire trying to save her teen-age daughter, Jenny, who is also severely injured. The novel is narrated by Grace's 'spirit' as she speaks (or maybe she's writing) to her husband. Grace's 'spirit' and Jenny's 'spirit' converse throughout the novel as they try to determine who the arsonist is.

This talented author helps us to understand the love of a mother for her child and the importance of family love. My only complaint is that, at times, the story moves very slowly and that was mostly due to the thoroughness of the police investigation. Otherwise, great job! I will be thinking about this novel for a long time, I'm sure. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Sep 16, 2014 |
It's sports day at the private school where Grace's son Adam is participating on his birthday, and her daughter Jennifer is working as the school nurse for the event. Things go badly when there is an arson attack on the school. All the kids are on the sports field but Jennifer is inside in the first aid room. Grace runs into the burning building to save her daughter with the result being that both of them are injured.

What follows in an unusual narration style to help us unravel the mystery of who started the fire. What is going on with Grace's best friend Maisie? And can Sarah, Grace's sister in law who is also a police officer, find the culprit?

This was an interesting look at family dynamics and relationships. The unusual narration was a little weird for me though. I had the baddie picked out pretty early on. ( )
  Roro8 | Aug 12, 2014 |
This is an amazingly good book with a premise that i can't do justice because it will sound silly. A woman and her daughter both end up in the hospital after a fire at a school in London. They aslo both end up in a strange state, able to know what is going on even though their bodies are tethered to machines and neither appears conscious. Lupton is able to pull off this premise and involves both women in figuring out who set the fire and why. Beyond that, as in her previous novel, Sisters, she breaths life into her characters and makes them matter. It's a moving, involving, beautifully written and well-plotted story about characters who may be not quite part of the real world but utterly convincing. I suspect it will be on my top ten list this year (and it's only January as I write this!)
  bfister | Jan 27, 2014 |
Psychological suspense is the genre of choice for glorifying the bond between mother and child: mother rushes into burning building, sacrifices life to save child, earns place in paradise. More than a flip paradigm, that’s the actual plot of AFTERWARDS, a gripping novel about a mother’s nightmare. Grace Covey is among the proud parents on the field for sports day at the Sidley House Preparatory School when a fire breaks out inside the building. Cut to the hospital, where Grace is in a coma with brain injuries and her “appallingly hurt” 17-year-old daughter, Jenny, is in the burn unit. To add to her woes, Grace’s 8-year-old son, Adam, is suspected of having set the fire.
added by rybie2 | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (May 11, 2012)

There is a fire and they are in there.
They are in there.

Black smoke stains a summer blue sky. A school is on fire. And one mother, Grace, sees the smoke and runs. She knows her teenage daughter Jenny is inside. She runs into the burning building to rescue her.

Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her children from the person who is still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love.

One perfect day. One terrible crime.

"From the author of the acclaimed bestseller Sister comes a gripping, thrilling story of a mother who will do anything to protect her child. The school was on fire, and Grace's last memory is of trying to reach her daughter, Jenny, trapped inside the inferno. While their burned bodies are frantically cared for by doctors, Grace and Jenny awaken in the hospital in a strange in-between state. When they learn that someone purposefully set the fire, and Jenny may still be in grave danger from someone who wants her dead, Grace realizes she may be the only one who can discover who might be responsible. The police are looking at Adam, Jenny's younger brother, who is struck mute by the horror he witnessed and can't defend himself when he is accused of the arson.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible