Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

Info:Piatkus (2011), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

I just added another book to my list of favorites, the second book by Rosamund Lupton included in that list. But I still haven't decided whether the word "afterwards" refers to after the loss of consciousness or after death. When I know, I'll rewrite this paragraph.

There is a fire at a private elementary school. Whose fault is it and is it arson? Two of the people hurt in the fire watch the investigation while their bodies are unconscious. One of those people describes it for her husband.

That puts simply a most involved story with twists and turns that will keep your attention and have you guessing throughout. As soon as you are pretty sure, Lupton changes your mind and makes you sure of something else.

Plus this is the best type of mystery/thriller, literary. ( )
  techeditor | Apr 14, 2016 |
The mystery kept me reading but I found the out of body point of views of the severely injured mother and daughter a stretch. ( )
  Cricket856 | Apr 4, 2016 |
This mystery thriller is a real page turner and I found I couldn't put it down. Narrated from an unique perspective, "Afterwards" is a beautifully written story about a family struggling with the devastating aftermath of a deliberately lit, school fire. There are lots of twists and turns throughout the book which keeps the reader guessing, but it is also a story about love - between a husband and wife, between siblings and between parents and their children. While this may not appeal to purists of the crime/mystery genre, I found "Afterwards" a fabulous read! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
It’s sports day at the private school attended by adolescent Jenny Covey and her 8-year old brother, Adam. Grace is there to support her children. Shortly after the games begin, a fire ignites within the school. Spurred by maternal instincts, Grace rushes into the inferno to rescue her daughter. The novel transitions then to the hospital where Grace and Jenny have been admitted with life-threatening injuries. The fire was not accidental; it has been labelled as an act of arson. The reader follows the investigation of the crime through the mother and daughter who have both escaped their unconscious bodies as ghost-like observers. Although Jenny has amnesia of the events prior to the fire, someone believes that she possesses info that if revealed when she awakes can be used to identify the arsonist. Therefore, attempts are made to ensure that she doesn’t survive her injuries. Grace will do anything to protect her daughter but can do little since no one, besides her spectral daughter, can see or feel her.

The novel had its’ flaws, such as when Grace describes walking on gravel when departing the hospital or the smell of visitor’s perfume; however, these are easily overlooked by the novel’s depiction of family love and loyalty and strength revealed in the husband who is trying to comfort his son and deal with his own grief, and the sister-in-law in her role as detective who hopes to catch the arsonist before he or she murders Jenny. If you are fans of Jodi Picoult books, you will enjoy this mystery/suspense novel. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
Afterwards, by Rosamund Lupton
★★★★ 1/2

Synopsis: There is a fire and they are in There. They are in there . . . Black smoke stains a summer blue sky. A school is on fire. And one mother, Grace, sees the smoke and runs. She knows her teenage daughter Jenny is inside. She runs into the burning building to rescue her. Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her family from the person who's still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love.
In A Sentence: A very good and unique mystery
What I Really Had Fun With: First off, I really thought that the narration was interesting. It was told in first and second person. The main character, Grace, was recounting the story to her husband, referring to him in the second person. It was my first time reading a story that did this type of narration, and I found it gave the novel a little something extra, something unique from other novels.
Secondly, I thought it was interesting that Grace was actually in a coma the entire time the mystery is being solved, a ghost who tries to put the pieces together while her friends and family go on with the investigation. It worked really well, as it allowed the reader to follow different characters as they went through their investigations.
Finally, it was a good mystery. It was written well, making you feel for the various characters without having your heart wrenched in two. The plot worked well, with a good pace and no disappointments. You end the novel feeling good overall about the turnout. Very nice.
My One Issue: The only issue I can think of is at the end, when the culprit did one final bad thing, but it doesn't seem to have any actual negative affect on anyone. Admittedly I was in a hurry when I was reading this part (it was in between my private lessons), so maybe I missed the importance, but that little part seemed unnecessary. Otherwise, I can't think of anything important.
In A Nutshell: I really enjoyed this book. I'm not ready to declare it a favorite yet, but only because I want to see if it survives the scrutiny of a second reading. It is definitely worth a look. Strongly recommended! ( )
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
Psychological suspense is the genre of choice for glorifying the bond between mother and child: mother rushes into burning building, sacrifices life to save child, earns place in paradise. More than a flip paradigm, that’s the actual plot of AFTERWARDS, a gripping novel about a mother’s nightmare. Grace Covey is among the proud parents on the field for sports day at the Sidley House Preparatory School when a fire breaks out inside the building. Cut to the hospital, where Grace is in a coma with brain injuries and her “appallingly hurt” 17-year-old daughter, Jenny, is in the burn unit. To add to her woes, Grace’s 8-year-old son, Adam, is suspected of having set the fire.
added by rybie2 | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (May 11, 2012)

There is a fire and they are in there.
They are in there.

Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her children from the person who is still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love.

One perfect day. One terrible crime.

"From the author of the acclaimed bestseller Sister comes a gripping, thrilling story of a mother who will do anything to protect her child. The school was on fire, and Grace's last memory is of trying to reach her daughter, Jenny, trapped inside the inferno. While their burned bodies are frantically cared for by doctors, Grace and Jenny awaken in the hospital in a strange in-between state. When they learn that someone purposefully set the fire, and Jenny may still be in grave danger from someone who wants her dead, Grace realizes she may be the only one who can discover who might be responsible. The police are looking at Adam, Jenny's younger brother, who is struck mute by the horror he witnessed and can't defend himself when he is accused of the arson.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,827,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible