Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

Info:Piatkus (2011), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

This is an amazingly good book with a premise that i can't do justice because it will sound silly. A woman and her daughter both end up in the hospital after a fire at a school in London. They aslo both end up in a strange state, able to know what is going on even though their bodies are tethered to machines and neither appears conscious. Lupton is able to pull off this premise and involves both women in figuring out who set the fire and why. Beyond that, as in her previous novel, Sisters, she breaths life into her characters and makes them matter. It's a moving, involving, beautifully written and well-plotted story about characters who may be not quite part of the real world but utterly convincing. I suspect it will be on my top ten list this year (and it's only January as I write this!)
  bfister | Jan 27, 2014 |
Very interesting and unusual book. What happens after a horrific accident. ( )
  bksgoddess | Apr 3, 2013 |
Grace is attending her son's sports day at his private school when the school goes up in flames and she realizes her teenage daughter Jenny is in the building. Both Grace and Jenny are taken to hospital in critical condition - Jenny badly burned with internal smoke inhalation damage to her heart; Grace in a coma with no brain activity showing. The twist here is that Jenny and Grace are able to leave their bodies and through eavesdropping follow the clues to how the fire was set. Through this, they also learn about their love for each other, for others in their family, betrayal by friends and facing death. ( )
  CarterPJ | Apr 2, 2013 |
A very moving ending and plenty of surprises as to the perpetrators of the crime and their motives. I had to keep reminding myself who Grace was speaking to when she mentioned 'you' but that's most likely because a book is not so often written as if directed at another character. I felt Grace waffled a little in her thoughts occasionally but, apart from that, I enjoyed this book. ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Feb 28, 2013 |
There is a fire and they are in There. They are in there . . . Black smoke stains a summer blue sky. A school is on fire. And one mother, Grace, sees the smoke and runs. She knows her teenage daughter Jenny is inside. She runs into the burning building to rescue her. Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her family from the person who's still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love.

My Thoughts:

Firstly with this book I had to get used to the fact that Grace and her daughter Jenny are wandering around in the between worlds of life and death. Both have been seriously injured in a fire and are trying to find out who is the true culprit. I don’t think this book is fantasy or even a ghost story but the scenario has just added a different take to the story. It worked for me and would describe this book as a fast paced crime novel.

Having both Grace and Jenny not been able to get up and walk around as if nothing has happened but to rely on their souls ( if you like ) to do it for them it adds a certain vulnerability. Thus I felt I was right by their sides holding their hands.

There are plenty of twists and turns in this book and I found myself turning the pages quite quickly to see how the story was going to go. I didn’t guess at all although there were plenty of clues along the way.

Dare I say that tissues may be needed when reading this book. A worthy five star read. ( )
  tina1969 | Feb 17, 2013 |
Psychological suspense is the genre of choice for glorifying the bond between mother and child: mother rushes into burning building, sacrifices life to save child, earns place in paradise. More than a flip paradigm, that’s the actual plot of AFTERWARDS, a gripping novel about a mother’s nightmare. Grace Covey is among the proud parents on the field for sports day at the Sidley House Preparatory School when a fire breaks out inside the building. Cut to the hospital, where Grace is in a coma with brain injuries and her “appallingly hurt” 17-year-old daughter, Jenny, is in the burn unit. To add to her woes, Grace’s 8-year-old son, Adam, is suspected of having set the fire.
added by rybie2 | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (May 11, 2012)

There is a fire and they are in there.
They are in there.

Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her children from the person who is still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love.

One perfect day. One terrible crime.

"From the author of the acclaimed bestseller Sister comes a gripping, thrilling story of a mother who will do anything to protect her child. The school was on fire, and Grace's last memory is of trying to reach her daughter, Jenny, trapped inside the inferno. While their burned bodies are frantically cared for by doctors, Grace and Jenny awaken in the hospital in a strange in-between state. When they learn that someone purposefully set the fire, and Jenny may still be in grave danger from someone who wants her dead, Grace realizes she may be the only one who can discover who might be responsible. The police are looking at Adam, Jenny's younger brother, who is struck mute by the horror he witnessed and can't defend himself when he is accused of the arson.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible