The Sleeping Dragon by Joel Rosenberg

The Sleeping Dragon

by Joel Rosenberg

Series: Guardians of the Flame (1)

6511214,803 (3.74)1 / 12

a group of gamers is transported to a fantasy world. There they assume the characteristics and knowledge [or lack thereof:] of their characters. An interesting concept. Then one of the characters is gutstabbed in an inn and dies. Let the gamers know this was a real world, and let us readers know that safety and home were not assured for the characters. And there was another instance where the 2 women of the group get gangraped, for hours, while the others are captive. They are avenged, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Nothing graphic, and while it made sense within the storyline, it just felt wrong. The survivors make it back to our world, only to go back to the fantasy world to revive a dead companion. Interesting concept, written ok, very disfunctional characters. Will read the next one or two in the series. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book when first published (guess I was about 19) but not likely to enjoy so much in a re-read because since 1983 there have been so many similar role playing character type of books I think jI have been burnt out. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Awful. Mean-spirited. Misogynistic. Rapetastic. I read this and another one or two in the series at an age when I'd read anything, and even then the treatment of female characters was throwing warning signs.

Almost as bad is a nod toward 'realistic' combat... that's selectively undermined by the presence of potions of healing that are basically physical panaceas... except when they aren't, and the author wants to unceremoniously write someone out. Spinal injury? Knock back a potion and you're fine. Run through the gut with a rapier? Nope, just wasted a potion. ( )
  Bieeanda | Jan 2, 2015 |
I first read this when it came out in the early 80's, I think. It's a fun book. While playing D&D, a group of college buddies are transported to the D&D world. Stuck there, they play out their lives in an interesting mix of fantasy world with their 20th century personalities & knowledge. It was a fun read. There are quite a few more books following it. I read the first five, but then lost interest. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Rosenberg, Joelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An amiable group of college role-playing gamers enters an alternate world, the land of Pandathaway, where the treachery of their philosophy professor, Arthur Simpson Deighton, launches them on a deadly quest for a magical talisman that would give Deighton almost unlimited power.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,432,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible