Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy

Small Medium at Large (edition 2012)

by Joanne Levy

Member:ethel55
Title:Small Medium at Large
Authors:Joanne Levy
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:middle grade, ghosts

Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy

Lilah Bloom, a 6th grader, is at her mother's wedding (she lives with her father) outside. During the party, which is outside, Lilah runs back to the car to get her bouquet, which she wants to keep. A sudden storm occurs, with wind, lighting and rain. Lilah holds on to the frame of the tent to protect herself from the rain, and she gets hit by lightning. The next thing she remembers is waking up in the hospital.

Lilah is okay but a strange thing happens to her - she can hear voices. The voices she hears are those of her dead "Bubba." Bubba & her friends find a hilarious way to interfere in Lilah's normal teen years - with all the trials & tribulations of growing up, boys, & girl-to-girl interactions. As Bubbas do, advice is prevalent. No one else can hear the voices, which at times makes for very funny situations! - Cookie M.

"Small Medium at Large" is a book about a Jewish teen who is going through many changes. For instance, when she is at her mother's second wedding, she gets hit by lightning. Though she survives, she gains powers. Powers to hear ghosts and spirits talk to her. Now that her dad is single, she tries to help him find another wife, with the help of her grandmother, the ghost. She has many experiences with her own crush, Andy Finkel. Her band teacher becomes famous, she kisses Andy, so many good and bad things happen. It was recommended to me, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. - Grace, age 10. ( )
  cavlibrary | Nov 11, 2016 |
After being struck by lightening, Liliah wakes up hearing the voice of her grandmother Bubby. Problem is, her grandmother is dead. She realizes she can talk to dead people, becoming little “medium” Liliah. Liliah’s parents are divorced and her dad ...read more http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/06/small-medium-at-large.html ( )
  crayolakym | Jun 2, 2013 |
Joanne Levy’s début middle-grade novel, Small Medium at Large (what a great title!), is a funny and engaging story. Spunky 12-year-old Lilah Bloom is suddenly hearing dead people after being struck by lightning. With the help of these friendly ghosts, including her very own grandmother Bubby Dora, Lilah is determined to find a girlfriend for her dad – and maybe even a boyfriend for herself!

Levy’s début is full of fun and mischief, as Lilah learns to cope with her new abilities and directs her dad in his disastrous attempts at getting back in the dating game. Along the way, she finds herself actually talking with crush Andrew (Andy) Finkel and experiencing some rather embarrassing moments with him. (I admit, I cringed as badly as Lilah did when these moments happened.) The story is told in the first-person narrative, so it is a good thing I liked being in Lilah’s head. She definitely had a pretty mature outlook for a 12-year-old, but there were moments throughout that made me remember she was a pre-teen. Scenes involving Lilah shopping for her first bra and discussing “french kissing” with her best friend Alex (Alexandra) are perfect examples. Both scenes made me laugh out loud and remember similar moments from my own younger years. I really liked her description of crush Andy, “Andrew had shaggy brown hair and emerald-green eyes. Perfect. And he was really nice, which is also very important in a potential boyfriend.” (Chapter 1) I’m going to have to agree with this sentiment – “really nice” is a VERY important thing to look for in a boyfriend, so to recognize that means she has a good head on her shoulders. I mean, let’s face it, a lot of boys may be cute, but they’re not all Prince Charming!

A couple of things surprised me (pleasantly) as I read Small Medium at Large. First, it was nice to see a story in which a child is living with only one parent and it’s dad. Mom is definitely in the picture – after all it was her second wedding where the lightning occurred – but it is clear that dad has primary custody. In many books where only one parent is in the picture it is generally mom, so I like when a father-daughter dynamic is brought in. The struggles Lilah goes through to get him back in the dating scene were cute and funny, and it was great to see how well-adjusted she was to her parents’ split. Secondly, Lilah is very open with her abilitity to talk to dead people – except with her own parents. Allowing her friends and other students (and even a teacher) to know of her ability seemed a little too trusting of her, but then I remembered her age and confidence and decided her openness was natural. This is a well-loved child with solid relationships around her, so being able to tell others about something unusual that has happened to her works.

Other than Bubby Dora, most of the other ghosts make brief appearances: Chuckles the clown at a party; former school cafeteria worker Miss Marion (who turns out to really know her food) in, of course, the cafeteria; a former girlfriend of the aforementioned teacher who wants him to do something important; etc. Fashion designer Prissy Lagontaine shows up more often, providing much-needed fashion advice, and a relative close to Andy also makes a few appearances, one of them leading to a rather humiliating little scene for Lilah. All of them are very friendly and/or mischievous, so there are no scares in this book. There are a few poignant moments with the ghosts, but this is a very light-hearted read and fear is not on the agenda.

On the human side of things, Lilah’s best friend Alex is flighty and boy crazy but bearable. Andy really IS nice and the perfect first boyfriend, and his inadvertent entry into the bra shopping experience is both funny and cringe-inducing (if you’re a girl). Somehow Lilah’s most embarrassing moments seem to involve underwear and Andy! Mean girl Dolly Madison turns out to have a heart, while Lilah’s friends Tamsin, Anita, Fiona and Sherise are sweet. And dad? Well, he’s a little lost with the whole dating thing, but he is also a really nice guy who ends up having a surprising shot at romance. All in all, a good group to spend a little time with.

With its engaging story, large doses of humor and spunky heroine, Joanne Levy’s début novel Small Medium at Large is geared to the middle-grade crowd but is a fast and extremely fun read that can be enjoyed by everyone. I’ll be keeping my eye out for future books from Ms. Levy, and hoping they are as entertaining as this one. ( )
  eomalley | Apr 13, 2013 |
Frothy fun that middle grade girls will love. Joanne Levy GETS seventh-grade girls, and her writing has a lighthearted energy that makes it hard to put down. Wonderful characters, wonderful storyline... it's the whole package in under 200 pages. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
This was really just a cute middle-grade book which is what I look for in my fun reading. Lilah is hit by lightening and can now hear ghosts which proves to be problematic. Wackiness ensues but there are some poignant moments too. ( )
  matamgirl | Apr 3, 2013 |

Lilah Bloom hears dead people. And boy, are they annoying!
After she's hit by lightning at a wedding, twelve-year-old Lilah Bloom develops a new talent: she hears dead people. Among them, there's her over-opinionated bubby Dora; a comically prissy fashion designer; and an approval-seeking clown who livens up a seance. With Bubby Dora leading the way, these and other sweetly imperfect ghosts haunt Lilah through seventh grade, and help her face her one fear: talking to and possibly going to the seventh-grade dance with her big crush, Andrew Finkel.

After being hit by lightning, twelve-year-old Lilah, who has a crush on classmate Andrew Finkel, discovers that she can communicate with dead people, including her grandmother who wants Lilah to find a new wife for Lilah's divorced father.

Joanne Levy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,779,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible