Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by…

Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site (edition 2011)

by Sherri Duskey Rinker, Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)

Member:eadavis83
Title:Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
Authors:Sherri Duskey Rinker
Other authors:Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)
Info:Chronicle Books (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children's Literature, Preschool, construction, Informational Text

Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker

Summary:
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site shares the hard work of the different types of construction trucks and then tucks them into bed and says goodnight. There is the Crane Truck, the Cement Mixer, the Dump Truck, the Bulldozer and the Excavator. They all work hard and have fun on the job but must rest at the end of the day.
Comments:
When we looked at poetry in class we learned the importance of reading rhymes at an early age and having them read to you. I think this book has great rhythm with nice simple rhymes that would be comforting to children. A good book to read to Kindergarteners. ( )
  JuliaTrinchero | Mar 18, 2017 |
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site is a great book for young children. The story tells of the job each vehicle on a construction site does. It tells that they rest at night as well. The illustrations are lovely. The rhymes are quiet and soothing. The repetition will surely soothe young children to sleep.

This is a good book for learning about trucks. It is a good book for learning about rhyme and repetition. I would recommend this to readers of all ages who are fans of picture books. Lovely! ( )
  mcintorino | Feb 9, 2017 |
A perennial favorite since it was first published in 2011, Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site features an engaging bedtime tale in rhyme, paired with appealing oil pastel illustrations in deep and vivid hues. One by one the rough and tumble vehicles at a construction site finish their work for the day, getting ready for bed in the end. As the narrative bids each one goodnight, the theme of sleepiness is emphasized and reemphasized in such a way as to have a soporific effect on young listeners.

It's difficult to believe that this was author Sherri Duskey Rinker's debut, as the text is so assured, and reads so well, just tripping off the tongue! Young truck-lovers - of which there are many! - will get a kick out of this bedtime book, and will enjoy listening to the rhyming refrain as vehicle after vehicle gets ready to go to bed. The artwork by Tom Lichtenheld shifts between more wakeful colors such as yellow and orange in the daytime scenes, and more peaceful hues such as blue in the nighttime ones, giving a visual reinforcement to the theme of winding down. Recommended to anyone looking for the perfect bedtime book for the young construction and/or truck enthusiast. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Feb 2, 2017 |
At sunset, when their work is done for the day, a crane truck, a cement mixer, and other pieces of construction equipment make their way to their resting places and go to sleep.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jan 31, 2017 |
Even the child whose motor never stops running is no match for this sweet picture book. The lilting rhythm of Sherri Duskey Rinker’s Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site will quiet your little truck lover and get him or her ready for a restful night. This busy construction site going through its nighttime rituals will help power down your child’s engine and encourage sweet motor dreams. ( )
  nkoffler | Nov 30, 2016 |

Sherri Duskey Rinkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

For me, the powerful aspect to this book is the rhyming aspect. It seems children appreciate the rhythmic quality and certainly research shows this approach can be powerful for early development. As the book's title gives away, this book is about a construction site being put to bed. The author gives a sort of human quality to the construction site machinery. One thing I might do with this one is not put a gender to the machines. I found myself taking the word "him" out when I read it to children so not to assume machinery would have to have a macho quality.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0811877825, Hardcover)

Amazon.com Exclusive Essay: From the Slush Pile to #1: Realizing My Vision. Or Not.
First-time author Sherri Duskey Rinker's Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site steadily climbed up the New York Times' Bestseller list throughout 2011, reaching #1 on January 29th, 2012. Here she shares the early inspiration that inspired a career in design, and how another artist brought her vision to life.

I grew up loving picture books.

I can still hear my grandmother's voice over the sound of the pages turning, the old wind-up Westclox alarm clock ticking away and the sound of traffic rolling down Howard Street. I remember the smell of books mingling with the smell of freshly laundered sheets.

Virginia Lee Burton's The Little House was my favorite, and I obsessed over the whimsically sweet illustrations of that little pink house happily sitting upon a hill covered in daisies.

Inspired, I wanted to be an artist. I also wanted to be a poet, an art teacher, and a journalist. The ping-pong ball of art vs. words ended with a career as a graphic designer. It was a perfect fit: I took pictures and words and put them together in a pretty way.

I met an artist, a photographer. He also had grown up with Virginia Burton: Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. It was a sign. So I married him. We had two boys and two good excuses for buying dozens (and dozens) of picture books.

Inspired by my youngest son's tireless (literally!) obsession with trucks, I wrote Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site in stolen moments during the workday and late at night, after the boys were tucked in. And with the words emerged a vision (dare I say "obsession") for how the book and my trucks would look.

I could see it so clearly: realistic illustrations of trucks superimposed with facial expressions to convey the mood and create the characters. Strong, yet simple graphic elements to create the setting. A bit of realism. A bit of collage. A bit of a grunge to compliment the dirty work of the trucks. I included the concept illustration with my manuscript and sent it, unsolicited, to Chronicle Books.

When my editor contacted me, three months after I'd sent the manuscript, she was friendly, but also to-the-point: They loved the manuscript (!), and hated (though she used a nicer word) the illustration concept.

Hmm...

One of the reasons that Chronicle was the first (and ultimately only) publisher on my list was that I LOVE their picture books. I appreciate their beauty and high production values. So, I had a choice here: trust, or walk away. I chose trust--with a big dash of fear.

My editor asked if I had any ideas for illustrators. I sent her a dozen names and online portfolios. I'm pretty certain she ignored me. And, they chose Tom Lichtenheld. (Who?)

When I told my editor that I'd never heard of Tom, she quickly emailed a few examples. The first was from Tom's NYT best-selling book, Duck! Rabbit! I was stunned to see bold, simple shapes and thickly-outlined illustrations. I stared blankly at the screen, feeling my heart sink.

Could this guy even draw a truck?

I spent the next couple of months intently focused on the process of editing and developing the final manuscript. But it was always there, in the back of my mind: What would the book look like? What had I given up?

One evening I received an excited email from my editor with Tom's first pencil sketch attached.

I wrote back: "I’m scared. I'll pour a glass of wine and then look at it."

I held my breath and double-clicked. And there it was: classic, timeless and tender, with just a touch of whimsy. My crane truck, a distant, younger cousin to Mike Mulligan, perhaps? My heart melted. I was won over.

So there it was: nothing like I imagined. But it was better. I've come to learn that some of the best things in life--like marriage and motherhood--are like that.

And I could almost feel Mrs. Burton smiling down.

Little House
Virginia Lee Burton's The Little House Mike Mulligan
Virginia Lee Burton's Mike Mulligan's steam shovel Concept Sketch
Rinker's original vision for Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site Duck Rabbit
Illustrator Tom Lichtenheld's Duck! Rabbit! Crane
Lichtenheld's first sketch of Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:24 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,159,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible