Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by…

Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site (edition 2011)

by Sherri Duskey Rinker, Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)

380None28,195 (4.06)3
Member:eadavis83
Title:Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
Authors:Sherri Duskey Rinker
Other authors:Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)
Info:Chronicle Books (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children's Literature, Preschool, construction, Informational Text

Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker

I really liked this book for a few different reasons. First, the illustrations were amazing. I specifically loved the colors that Lichtenheld used. I thought that the rhymes were really thoughtful and creative, as well. It was easy to read and also easy to listen to. I think that this book would be very entertaining in a classroom and could teach children a lot about the different components of a construction site. It uses many technical terms and could help children to enhance their vocabulary as well. ( )
  L_Cochran | Mar 15, 2014 |
I really liked this book for multiple reasons. One thing I liked were the illustrations. The illustrations of the trucks and the setting were simple and realistic. For example, when the sun starts to set and their work for the day is done, there is a picture of the trucks at the construction site with the sun setting in the background. The illustrations in this scene are extremely realistic and include strong colors that capture the readers attention. I also really like the illustrations of the trucks with facial expressions. It helps convey the mood while also creating the characters. For example, when the story refers to the trucks as tough, the illustration shows the trucks with tough looks on their faces. They also show the expressions of the trucks being happy, sleepy, and even dizzy. Another thing that I really liked about this book was the way in which it was written. The words flow smoothly and rhyme. For example, one of the rhyming lines is, "He moves the dirt from place to place, then dumps it with a happy face." I also like how it goes through the trucks (Crane Truck, Cement Mixer, Dump Truck, Bulldozer, and Excavator) one by one as they finish their work and then go to sleep. I believe the message of this story is that after a busy day of work, everyone must rest. ( )
  kbarge1 | Feb 18, 2014 |
This books about the end of the day when all the trucks at a construction site say good night. I thought it was an adorable rhyming book. It would be a good book to read before bedtime. What I didn't like so much about the book was that it felt targeted more toward boys and girls like trucks too. I would read this to children ages 1-5. ( )
  aloupe | Feb 17, 2014 |
Solid rhyme; this will be a popular theme mashup. Best thing are the Lichtenheld illustrations with the fabulous details: the crane truck holding a teddy and dangling a nightlight from the boom hook; the cement truck with a small blankie on top of the drum; the bulldozer all cozy tucked into a bank of dirt. Made me smile. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

Sherri Duskey Rinkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

For me, the powerful aspect to this book is the rhyming aspect. It seems children appreciate the rhythmic quality and certainly research shows this approach can be powerful for early development. As the book's title gives away, this book is about a construction site being put to bed. The author gives a sort of human quality to the construction site machinery. One thing I might do with this one is not put a gender to the machines. I found myself taking the word "him" out when I read it to children so not to assume machinery would have to have a macho quality.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0811877825, Hardcover)

Amazon.com Exclusive Essay: From the Slush Pile to #1: Realizing My Vision. Or Not. First-time author Sherri Duskey Rinker's Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site steadily climbed up the New York Times' Bestseller list throughout 2011, reaching #1 on January 29th, 2012. Here she shares the early inspiration that inspired a career in design, and how another artist brought her vision to life.

I grew up loving picture books.

I can still hear my grandmother's voice over the sound of the pages turning, the old wind-up Westclox alarm clock ticking away and the sound of traffic rolling down Howard Street. I remember the smell of books mingling with the smell of freshly laundered sheets.

Virginia Lee Burton's The Little House was my favorite, and I obsessed over the whimsically sweet illustrations of that little pink house happily sitting upon a hill covered in daisies.

Inspired, I wanted to be an artist. I also wanted to be a poet, an art teacher, and a journalist. The ping-pong ball of art vs. words ended with a career as a graphic designer. It was a perfect fit: I took pictures and words and put them together in a pretty way.

I met an artist, a photographer. He also had grown up with Virginia Burton: Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. It was a sign. So I married him. We had two boys and two good excuses for buying dozens (and dozens) of picture books.

Inspired by my youngest son's tireless (literally!) obsession with trucks, I wrote Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site in stolen moments during the workday and late at night, after the boys were tucked in. And with the words emerged a vision (dare I say "obsession") for how the book and my trucks would look.

I could see it so clearly: realistic illustrations of trucks superimposed with facial expressions to convey the mood and create the characters. Strong, yet simple graphic elements to create the setting. A bit of realism. A bit of collage. A bit of a grunge to compliment the dirty work of the trucks. I included the concept illustration with my manuscript and sent it, unsolicited, to Chronicle Books.

When my editor contacted me, three months after I'd sent the manuscript, she was friendly, but also to-the-point: They loved the manuscript (!), and hated (though she used a nicer word) the illustration concept.

Hmm...

One of the reasons that Chronicle was the first (and ultimately only) publisher on my list was that I LOVE their picture books. I appreciate their beauty and high production values. So, I had a choice here: trust, or walk away. I chose trust--with a big dash of fear.

My editor asked if I had any ideas for illustrators. I sent her a dozen names and online portfolios. I'm pretty certain she ignored me. And, they chose Tom Lichtenheld. (Who?)

When I told my editor that I'd never heard of Tom, she quickly emailed a few examples. The first was from Tom's NYT best-selling book, Duck! Rabbit! I was stunned to see bold, simple shapes and thickly-outlined illustrations. I stared blankly at the screen, feeling my heart sink.

Could this guy even draw a truck?

I spent the next couple of months intently focused on the process of editing and developing the final manuscript. But it was always there, in the back of my mind: What would the book look like? What had I given up?

One evening I received an excited email from my editor with Tom's first pencil sketch attached.

I wrote back: "I’m scared. I'll pour a glass of wine and then look at it."

I held my breath and double-clicked. And there it was: classic, timeless and tender, with just a touch of whimsy. My crane truck, a distant, younger cousin to Mike Mulligan, perhaps? My heart melted. I was won over.

So there it was: nothing like I imagined. But it was better. I've come to learn that some of the best things in life--like marriage and motherhood--are like that.

And I could almost feel Mrs. Burton smiling down.

Little House Virginia Lee Burton's The Little House Mike Mulligan Virginia Lee Burton's Mike Mulligan's steam shovel Concept Sketch Rinker's original vision for Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site Duck Rabbit Illustrator Tom Lichtenheld's Duck! Rabbit! Crane Lichtenheld's first sketch of Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:56 -0400)

At sunset, when their work is done for the day, a crane truck, a cement mixer, and other pieces of construction equipment make their way to their resting places and go to sleep.

63 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible