ZooZical by Judy Sierra

ZooZical

by Judy Sierra

This was a cheerful book to read on a rainy day! Colorful pictures and fun rhyming with zoo animals make this a fun one. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Fun, playful story, great for reading aloud. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
It’s a wintery day at the zoo and all the animals are bored. What to do? Put on a show! A ZooZical! They practice their songs, dances, and acrobatics. They paint scenery and sew costumes. That night for the performance, despite the snow, crowds of people arrive at the zoo. The performance is a show-stopping success, the perfect ending to a snowy day.

Sierra’s rhyming text is full of whimsical wordplay and the illustrations are jam-packed with a cast of colorful characters. I especially love that ocelots and lemurs are included in the text and illustrations. Although the story lacks a major conflict, just a small hippo with stage fright, this book is a rollicking read.

There’s something exhilarating about rehearsing and performing a show and this book deftly captures that spirit. This would be a great gift for a child who is making their debut onstage, be it at school, at camp, or with a community theatre.

Full Review at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2012/03/book-63-zoozical-by-judy-sierra.html
  amy-picturebookaday | Mar 3, 2012 |
Winter weather is giving the zoo animals the doldrums, until they get the idea to share their musical talent with a zoozical! The rhymes are clever and the illustrations amusing. It makes a wonderful read-aloud. And there are plenty of giraffes. I approve. :) ( )
  shazzerwise | Feb 11, 2012 |
It’s winter and it’s cold and the weather is miserable. Everyone is down in the doldrums. A group of animals at the zoo decide to put on a musical, adding new lyrics and dance numbers to old songs, to cheer everyone up. The musical, a “zoozical”, is a big hit.

‘Then onto the stage rolls ten seals on a bus,
Barking, “Let’s sing a tune that is all about us!”

The seals on the bus go round and round….’ ( )
  debnance | Dec 5, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037586847X, Hardcover)

A Letter from Author Judy Sierra I think of my new book, ZooZical, as a little kids’ Broadway musical. The idea came to me a few years ago, after my picture book The Sleepy Little Alphabet was published. I couldn’t wait to read it aloud to the kindergarten classes at the school where my husband was principal. When the children saw the final illustration--twenty-six little letters asleep in twenty-six little beds--they burst out singing “The Alphabet Song.” What fun it would be, I thought, to write a picture book based on classic children’s songs! I knew who the cast and crew of my musical ZooZical would be: the zoo animals from Wild About Books, illustrated by Marc Brown. “Let’s put on a show” is an old and very productive story line. I could picture so many scenes of animals performing. But what would their motivation be? I looked out my office window at gray skies. It had been raining for weeks on end. Might the animals be seeking a cure for the midwinter doldrums? If terrible weather was getting them down, then kids and families were probably staying home, too, and life at the zoo would be bleak without humorous humans to watch. Putting on a show could cheer up the animals, and also bring visitors back to the zoo. I wrote ZooZical in rhymed couplets and triplets, to a Seussian beat (anapestic tetrameter, mostly). I find this meter ideal for storytelling--so perfect, in fact, that it often conjures up parts of a tale as if by magic. As I brainstormed ZooZical, two main characters--a very small hippo and a young kangaroo--hopped into the story, unannounced, as the main characters. They are clever and creative enough to come up with the idea of putting on a musical, and talented enough to play starring roles in the production. Other animals dance and sing to silly versions of old favorites like “Oh My Darling, Porcupine,” “The Seals on the Bus,” and “The Zoo Hokey Pokey.” Everyone discovers that music, creativity, friendship, and cooperation are tip-top antidotes for any sort of doldrums. After many months of work and countless revisions, I emailed the ZooZical manuscript to my editor at Knopf, Janet Schulman, and to the marvelous Marc Brown, who gave it two thumbs and six paintbrushes up. As I write this, Marc is sketching scenes for the third picture book in this series, set at the mythical Springfield Zoo.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:50 -0400)

When the winter doldrums arrive at the zoo, a very small hippo and a young kangaroo decide to stage a "ZooZical," a show to display their singing, dancing, acrobatic, and other talents to the people of Springfield.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,473,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible