ZooZical by Judy Sierra

ZooZical

by Judy Sierra

ZooZical
“ZooZical” written by Judy Sierra is a fun read about animals who save the zoo. The language is patterned with rhyming words that tell a story that readers will be easily entertained by. “Bears walked the tightrope with elegant ease, Flamingos whizzed by on the flying trapeze, Racoons dance in pairs, baboons dance in troops, and snakes joined the dancers as live hula hoops”. With words this descriptive, illustrations are needed because the reader can paint a picture in their minds, BUT Marc Brown as beautifully illustrated this book. The pictures fill the pages and are classic Marc Brown style, just as in the “Arthur” books. Each page has animals dancing on the pages and putting on a show that is fun to look at. The book pushes readers to deal with the feeling of defeat, but to not give up. When winter comes and “field trips are few” , the animals feel “humdrum” and “The zoo gates closed early”, but the animals decide to create the “Zoozical” and save the day. This is also the big idea of the story, don’t quit! ( )
  areyno5 | Oct 30, 2014 |
On a rainy day, the animals at the zoo get restless. They decide to put on a musical and everyone discovers how talented the animals really are.

I used this book for my author study of Judy Sierra because she is one of my new favorite children's author. The illustrations by Marc Brown are also so wonderful. I love everything about the littles series of books by Sierra that deal with the animals of the zoo and all their adventures. ( )
  ashleyschifano | Oct 23, 2014 |
This was a cheerful book to read on a rainy day! Colorful pictures and fun rhyming with zoo animals make this a fun one. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Fun, playful story, great for reading aloud. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
It’s a wintery day at the zoo and all the animals are bored. What to do? Put on a show! A ZooZical! They practice their songs, dances, and acrobatics. They paint scenery and sew costumes. That night for the performance, despite the snow, crowds of people arrive at the zoo. The performance is a show-stopping success, the perfect ending to a snowy day.

Sierra’s rhyming text is full of whimsical wordplay and the illustrations are jam-packed with a cast of colorful characters. I especially love that ocelots and lemurs are included in the text and illustrations. Although the story lacks a major conflict, just a small hippo with stage fright, this book is a rollicking read.

There’s something exhilarating about rehearsing and performing a show and this book deftly captures that spirit. This would be a great gift for a child who is making their debut onstage, be it at school, at camp, or with a community theatre.

Full Review at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2012/03/book-63-zoozical-by-judy-sierra.html
  amy-picturebookaday | Mar 3, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037586847X, Hardcover)

A Letter from Author Judy Sierra
I think of my new book, ZooZical, as a little kids’ Broadway musical. The idea came to me a few years ago, after my picture book The Sleepy Little Alphabet was published. I couldn’t wait to read it aloud to the kindergarten classes at the school where my husband was principal. When the children saw the final illustration--twenty-six little letters asleep in twenty-six little beds--they burst out singing “The Alphabet Song.” What fun it would be, I thought, to write a picture book based on classic children’s songs! I knew who the cast and crew of my musical ZooZical would be: the zoo animals from Wild About Books, illustrated by Marc Brown.

“Let’s put on a show” is an old and very productive story line. I could picture so many scenes of animals performing. But what would their motivation be? I looked out my office window at gray skies. It had been raining for weeks on end. Might the animals be seeking a cure for the midwinter doldrums? If terrible weather was getting them down, then kids and families were probably staying home, too, and life at the zoo would be bleak without humorous humans to watch. Putting on a show could cheer up the animals, and also bring visitors back to the zoo.

I wrote ZooZical in rhymed couplets and triplets, to a Seussian beat (anapestic tetrameter, mostly). I find this meter ideal for storytelling--so perfect, in fact, that it often conjures up parts of a tale as if by magic. As I brainstormed ZooZical, two main characters--a very small hippo and a young kangaroo--hopped into the story, unannounced, as the main characters. They are clever and creative enough to come up with the idea of putting on a musical, and talented enough to play starring roles in the production. Other animals dance and sing to silly versions of old favorites like “Oh My Darling, Porcupine,” “The Seals on the Bus,” and “The Zoo Hokey Pokey.” Everyone discovers that music, creativity, friendship, and cooperation are tip-top antidotes for any sort of doldrums.

After many months of work and countless revisions, I emailed the ZooZical manuscript to my editor at Knopf, Janet Schulman, and to the marvelous Marc Brown, who gave it two thumbs and six paintbrushes up. As I write this, Marc is sketching scenes for the third picture book in this series, set at the mythical Springfield Zoo.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:50 -0400)

When the winter doldrums arrive at the zoo, a very small hippo and a young kangaroo decide to stage a "ZooZical," a show to display their singing, dancing, acrobatic, and other talents to the people of Springfield.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,327,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible