Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos

Dead End in Norvelt (2011)

by Jack Gantos

Series: Norvelt (1)

No. The best quote in the book (and it is indeed quotable) is "You don't win a war by being nice." This story is not nice. It all just felt too sad to me: a kid punished by the conflict between his parents, in a town founded on ideals and dying of meanness. There are smart pointers on how to lie (add just the right amount of details)and odd descriptions of death. No, thank you. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
This is the fifth of seven books I've been reading for a Books on Tap event sponsored by a public library and a local cidery. Unusually so for this event, nearly every book on this session's list is directly written for young people or could easily been appreciated by them. It has been described as historical fiction for it is written by an author who actually lived in the town of Norvelt and has lots of "facts" revealed in it that actually occurred, but the story line is decidedly fiction. Even with that, unlike most other books I have read geared toward young people, this book's author goes out of his way to not thrown in actions, situations, and acts of nature that are not based on reality. In fact, except for an important story thread -- which I cannot reveal without offering spoilers -- the book as is remarkably realistic, believable, and often quite humorous. I should also add that I read the book while listening to the audio book, which was narrated by the author himself, and he does a bang up job of it, making it seem all the more like a "true" childhood memoir. If it wasn't for the exception I mentioned earlier, which struck me as incongruous with the rest of the book, I would have rated the book a notch higher. ( )
  larryerick | Jan 14, 2019 |
This book was overall written well but I would not just want to read this over and over. Even though the author did a good job ( )
  Rileyholcomb | Nov 27, 2018 |
While a great story and even better with all the history that was thrown in... It was not an award winner. I kept reading but could have put it down and forgotten to pick up quite easily. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
It was okay. ( )
  MikeDI | May 27, 2018 |
For Anne and Mabel
School was finally out and I was standing on a picnic table in our backyard getting ready for a great summer vacation when my mother walked up to me and ruined it.
But church had a different kind of math.  You could never be sure what anything added up to, which meant that what was in your imagination while sitting in a pew was just as important as what the preacher was saying--maybe even more important. It's like when you read a book and you know that the words are important, but the images blossoming in your imagination are even more important because it's your mind that allows the words to come to life.

In the historic town of Norvelt, Pennsylvania, twelve-year-old Jack Gantos spends the summer of 1962 grounded for various offenses until he is assigned to help an elderly neighbor with a most unusual chore involving the newly dead, molten wax, twisted promises, Girl Scout cookies, underage driving, lessons from history, typewriting, and countless bloody noses.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,861,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible