Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos

Dead End in Norvelt (2011)

by Jack Gantos

Recently added byprivate library, Steininger, joeydag, missprice, bkmuse7, CindyMcClain, DrQ, KylieWerner, weeta, tishacarver

This award won a Newberry Award and a Scott O'Dell award. As an adult I thought it was an interesting book, and am curious to see what middle school students would think of this book. The main character of this book is Jack Gantos, which is also the name of the author. This story takes place in the dieing town of Norvelt- one of the town Eleanor Roosevelt helped to establish during the depression, and Jack helps one of the oldest living members of Norvelt helps an old arthritic neighbor write obituaries when he is placed on restriction for his entire summer. This is a very quirky book which contains bit and pieces of history and Jack tries to apply and learn from the lessons from that history to his own life. There are some very funny elements to this book. ( )
  Steininger | Jul 24, 2015 |
Gantos does a very good job of presenting the world from the 12 year boy's point of view. There is some seriously sad material in here but it is also transcendent. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Newbery Medal 2012, Scott O'Dell Award 2012, ALA Best Fiction for Young Adults 2012. Next in series: From Norvelt to Nowhere. Male protagonist. Humorous. General interest.
  CindyMcClain | Jul 17, 2015 |
Read a review of the audiobook version of this 2012 Newbery Medalist here: http://rdg301library.blogspot.com/2012/10/2012-newbery-medalist.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
This book wasn't bad, per se, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable calling it good, either. I generally enjoy stories that revolve around slight off-center small towns that seem to have their own rules for reality, but this story of a summer in Norvelt just fell flat for me. Between the mysterious deaths of old ladies, the selling of houses to be shipped off to another town, Jack's perpetual groundings for things that weren't really his fault, and the weird Hell's Angels subplots, there was just too much going on and too many loose threads still dangling by the end of the book. In its semi-autobiographical wackiness, I felt that the events were too out there to be considered as reality, but not over-the-top enough to be charmingly kooky. ( )
  photonegative | Apr 14, 2015 |
For Anne and Mabel
School was finally out and I was standing on a picnic table in our backyard getting ready for a great summer vacation when my mother walked up to me and ruined it.
But church had a different kind of math.  You could never be sure what anything added up to, which meant that what was in your imagination while sitting in a pew was just as important as what the preacher was saying--maybe even more important. It's like when you read a book and you know that the words are important, but the images blossoming in your imagination are even more important because it's your mind that allows the words to come to life.

In the historic town of Norvelt, Pennsylvania, twelve-year-old Jack Gantos spends the summer of 1962 grounded for various offenses until he is assigned to help an elderly neighbor with a most unusual chore involving the newly dead, molten wax, twisted promises, Girl Scout cookies, underage driving, lessons from history, typewriting, and countless bloody noses.… (more)

134 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,522,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible