Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos

Dead End in Norvelt (2011)

by Jack Gantos

(6.0)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos is a story about a boy named Jack Gantos who is looking forward to summer vacation because he has been making plans all year long. However, he gets grounded by his parents for different offenses and cannot complete his planned adventures. He finally gets let loose but has to work for his neighbor writing obituaries where he learns about the people of the town.

I like this book because it kept me laughing all through the book. I was able to be the character because of the words the author uses to portray what is happening.

I would have this book in my classroom for older elementary students for when it is fun time. I think the children would enjoy it as much as I did.
  Cecelia.McKay | Jul 11, 2014 |
I laughed a lot during this book. Jack Gantos plays himself in a novel where he can't get ungrounded and all the old people are dying. The only fun he has all summer is when he gets phone calls from Mrs. Volker telling him there is another dead Norvelter. Mrs. Volker is super old and can't write, so Jack heads down and helps her write the obituary.
  Talwold | Jun 1, 2014 |
Jack's plans for summer vacation fun are shot down when he is grounded for life by his parents. But he still ends up with plenty of excitement when his mom loans him out to an old neighbor to help her type obituaries for the founders of his small hometown of Norvelt.

I really enjoyed the blend of humor, history and drama in this book. The town of Norvelt is full of colorful, quirky characters, and as Miss Volker dictates the obituaries for those who die in the course of the story, she sprinkles in accounts of historic events that somehow connect to them, adding some life lessons into the mix as well. It definitely deserved the awards it got! ( )
  DeweyEver | Apr 21, 2014 |
Jack Gantos creates another funny one somewhat based on his childhood. And the constant mention of Eleanor Roosevelt was great fun, too.
  AbundaBookworms | Apr 18, 2014 |
For Anne and Mabel
School was finally out and I was standing on a picnic table in our backyard getting ready for a great summer vacation when my mother walked up to me and ruined it.
But church had a different kind of math.  You could never be sure what anything added up to, which meant that what was in your imagination while sitting in a pew was just as important as what the preacher was saying--maybe even more important. It's like when you read a book and you know that the words are important, but the images blossoming in your imagination are even more important because it's your mind that allows the words to come to life.

In the historic town of Norvelt, Pennsylvania, twelve-year-old Jack Gantos spends the summer of 1962 grounded for various offenses until he is assigned to help an elderly neighbor with a most unusual chore involving the newly dead, molten wax, twisted promises, Girl Scout cookies, underage driving, lessons from history, typewriting, and countless bloody noses.… (more)

183 wanted2 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible