Blackout (The Newsflesh Trilogy) by Mira…

Blackout (The Newsflesh Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Mira Grant

In 2041, Georgia Mason, held hostage by a team of CDC researchers, must find her way back to Shaun Mason, who is dealing with his own problems, such as zombie bears, mad scientists and rogue government agencies, before things get worse in her post-zombie, post-resurrection America.
Member:Theodosia
Title:Blackout (The Newsflesh Trilogy)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 665 pages

Blackout by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: This is the 1st book in the Newsflesh trilogy that Blackout is the 3rd and final book of. If you stumbled across this book I HIGHLY recommend starting at Feed and then moving on to Deadline.
    Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2) by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)

Blackout
(Newsflash # 3)
by Mira Grant
2012
Orbit
4.0 / 5.0

In book one, 'Feed', the year was 2014. The cure for cancer and the common cold has happened. It was called The Year of The Rising, when the dead began to walk.

In book two, 'Deadline', the year was 2039. Zombies have taken over the world, spreading the Kellis-Amberlee virus.
Georgia and Shaun think they have uncovered one of the biggest conspiracies since The Rising. However, sacrifices had to be made. This book revealed the controversial sexual relationship between Georgia and Shaun, brother and sister; both were adopted from different parents, so.....

In this, book three, 'Blackout', the year is 2041. The conspiracies surrounding the election of President Ryman is bigger than anyone imagined. The remaining staff of After The World Times try to avoid being contaminated by infected mosquitoes, and face off with mad scientists, zombie bears and the CDC. They are only sure that things could get worse......

I loved the world building in the first book, and really liked Georgia. This, the third book in the trilogy left me underwhelmed. I was not ready for it to end. It was far from disappointing, I just expected more. This is a great series, and I am going to read more by this author, for sure. ( )
  over.the.edge | Feb 9, 2020 |
Hugo nominated novel #3.

Damn. Why didn't I read the plot summary before I spent an Audible credit on this?

Another zombie book. Why??

I gave it about 3 minutes, and tried to give it an honest chance. There are books that contain zombies I've enjoyed (Dresden for instance). After 3 minutes, I was done. I'll come back and give it another chance if I have time after going through the rest of the nominated materials.

Next!
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
The cloning felt cheap. Really, really cheap. I feel like the author really missed out on an opportunity to explore how grief works and pulled out cloning as a desperate last attempt.

Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed Feed and (to a lesser extent) Deadline.

I really wish more books were one-offs.
  treehorse | Nov 7, 2019 |
I finished this morning and I haven't been able to articulate my thoughts on them well. I do have two thoughts that have come through. 1. It's better than Deadline, but not as good as Feed, and 2. It ended things fine. Not fantastic, but not on a Mockingjay level of terrible.

More thoughts to come later.

EDIT-I still haven't been able to articulate my thoughts well on this book. But, yes, it's better than Deadline. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Zombies, clones, insect vectors, conspiracy, corruption action, news, this book has it all! What a good ending to this series! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
This book is dedicated to
Kathleen Secor,
Diana Fox,
and
Sunil Patel.

Without their efforts, I would never have made it this far.
My story ended where so many stories have ended since the Rising: with a man -- in this case, my adoptive brother and best friend, Shaun, -- holding a gun to the base of my skull as the virus in my blood betrayed me, transforming me from a thinking human being into something better suited to a horror movie.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,384,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible