Blackout by Mira Grant

Member:reading_fox
Title:Blackout
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2012), Epub 561 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Science fiction, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:!gra, /blo03, ebook, @2012, science fiction, near future, zombies, undead, news, politics, conspiracy, rule the world, mad scientists, hero dies

Blackout by Mira Grant

Feed by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: This is the 1st book in the Newsflesh trilogy that Blackout is the 3rd and final book of. If you stumbled across this book I HIGHLY recommend starting at Feed and then moving on to Deadline.
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)

READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

After seeing all the positive reviews for Blackout I a) really wanted to read it, and b) really wanted to like it. To avoid spoilers I didn't do a lot of research as to what the story was about.

I won't tell anything about the story either, it's better to let you find out for yourself. Let's just say that life gets quite tough, quite fast. At the beginning you can feel the tension is rising and something terrible is going to happen. I didn't like the ending as much, as it seemed a mash up of

at least the modern War of the Worlds movie remake (could be just me, that I don't know enough about Sci-Fi to distinguish ancient aliens invading and killing all humans stories from one another) and the fifth story of Cloud Atlas.

Would still recommend though. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I love zombies, post-apocolyptic fiction, conspiracies, and medical thrillers. So yes, loved this book! It was a ton of fun. If like me you love even a few of those things you will like this book and I can recommend it to you. If you don't though, I feel I have to acknowledge a few flaws. Anyone remember Stephen King's The Stand? In that book King gave us vignettes of action happening to non-central characters around the country, it helped communicate the scope of the action and what was at stake. Grant's use of first-person narration of only a couple central characters gives a much narrower view, sometimes resulting in a tell-not-show story. Even the blog posts supplanting the narrative were pulled from recurring characters and were mostly repetitive. There was a lot of "villain explains the plot" and the final resolution to the vast conspiracy was a little too easy. For me the sheer fun of the zombie world Grant created, running from the bad guys, uncovering the conspiracy outweighed these flaws and I went along with the story. She draws interesting parallels to current events and politics. In summary I loved the book, had a lot of fun reading it, but there were a few flaws that kept it from being a great book. ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |
I hate this book and everything it chooses to be.

Honestly. I just felt DRAINED trying to finish this. I dreaded forcing myself through another chapter, and another, and another, when it's clear where the whole clone thing is heading and when the writing is SO repetitive and when I was spending half the time reading the thoughts of the most boring mad-man in history. No thank you. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
This is my first Tim Curran book and I will without a doubt read more.

Blackout was a fantastic science fiction story about a neighborhood that discovers that people are disappearing. Something is grabbing them from the sky. First, it is just confusing for them, the stars are gone, the sky is black and then it hit them! And, I really mean hit them, long tentacles from the sky is snatching up people as soon as they touch them. And, our little group of people has to do anything to stay alive.

I got sucked into this story so much that last night when I was finishing off the story I had to put the book down a while. I had read I think around 75% of the book and I had to calm myself down because I cared so much for Jon, Billy, Iris and Bonnie that it was hard reading the book and knowing every time I turned the page that anyone of they could be sucked up into the sky. This is the first horror/science fiction book that has gotten to me in a long while.

The book reminded me a bit about [b:The Mist|813214|The Mist|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331317781s/813214.jpg|59181] by [a:Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1362814142p2/3389.jpg], just this book was better, more terrifying and had better characters. The characters in this book, they are not perfect, they could act annoying, but considering the circumstances everything is forgiven in my opinion, it’s not every day you get to be witness to the end of the human race and I would probably freak out too. Blackout is a terrific book and I recommend it highly to anyone that likes science fiction, horror or the end of the day stories!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
I hate this book and everything it chooses to be.

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
My story ended where so many stories have ended since the Rising: with a man -- in this case, my adoptive brother and best friend, Shaun, -- holding a gun to the base of my skull as the virus in my blood betrayed me, transforming me from a thinking human being into something better suited to a horror movie.

In 2041, Georgia Mason, held hostage by a team of CDC researchers, must find her way back to Shaun Mason, who is dealing with his own problems, such as zombie bears, mad scientists and rogue government agencies, before things get worse in her post-zombie, post-resurrection America.… (more)

108 wanted3 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,865,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible