Blackout by Mira Grant

Member:reading_fox
Title:Blackout
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2012), Epub 561 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Science fiction, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:!gra, /blo03, ebook, @2012, science fiction, near future, zombies, undead, news, politics, conspiracy, rule the world, mad scientists, hero dies

Blackout by Mira Grant

Feed by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: This is the 1st book in the Newsflesh trilogy that Blackout is the 3rd and final book of. If you stumbled across this book I HIGHLY recommend starting at Feed and then moving on to Deadline.
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)

This is my first Tim Curran book and I will without a doubt read more.

Blackout was a fantastic science fiction story about a neighborhood that discovers that people are disappearing. Something is grabbing them from the sky. First, it is just confusing for them, the stars are gone, the sky is black and then it hit them! And, I really mean hit them, long tentacles from the sky is snatching up people as soon as they touch them. And, our little group of people has to do anything to stay alive.

I got sucked into this story so much that last night when I was finishing off the story I had to put the book down a while. I had read I think around 75% of the book and I had to calm myself down because I cared so much for Jon, Billy, Iris and Bonnie that it was hard reading the book and knowing every time I turned the page that anyone of they could be sucked up into the sky. This is the first horror/science fiction book that has gotten to me in a long while.

The book reminded me a bit about [b:The Mist|813214|The Mist|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331317781s/813214.jpg|59181] by [a:Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1362814142p2/3389.jpg], just this book was better, more terrifying and had better characters. The characters in this book, they are not perfect, they could act annoying, but considering the circumstances everything is forgiven in my opinion, it’s not every day you get to be witness to the end of the human race and I would probably freak out too. Blackout is a terrific book and I recommend it highly to anyone that likes science fiction, horror or the end of the day stories!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
I hate this book and everything it chooses to be.

Honestly. I just felt DRAINED trying to finish this. I dreaded forcing myself through another chapter, and another, and another, when it's clear where the whole clone thing is heading and when the writing is SO repetitive and when I was spending half the time reading the thoughts of the most boring mad-man in history. No thank you. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
4.5/5
Feed made me burst into tears in public place. Deadline was emotionally exhausting. Blackout is...hard to judge.

What did I love? The pacing, which is superb. The final showdown and George's speech intermixed with the blog entries.

What I found disappointing? The ease of Shaun and George's meet up, very very few zombie threats, lack of showing of the intensity of emotional attachment between Shaun and George when they get reunited... Overall, the intensity of the series got toned down a lot.

You remember Buffy's getting infected in Feed or Dave staying to die in the airstrike just so the rest of the team could get out of the city in Deadline? There was this gut-wrenching anguish, which I couldn't see in Blackout. I also missed the blog posts that interacted and made their impact on people all over the world.

Despite my misgivings, Newsflesh trilogy is still miles away from any post-apocalyptic fiction you'll ever read. It's profound, thought-provoking and really really intense. Zombies here serve as a background to a world of political intrigues and terrifying global conspiracies. An absolute MUST READ!

Anyone coming within a hundred yards of my happy ending had better pray that they're immune to bullets. - Shaun Mason ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
My story ended where so many stories have ended since the Rising: with a man -- in this case, my adoptive brother and best friend, Shaun, -- holding a gun to the base of my skull as the virus in my blood betrayed me, transforming me from a thinking human being into something better suited to a horror movie.

In 2041, Georgia Mason, held hostage by a team of CDC researchers, must find her way back to Shaun Mason, who is dealing with his own problems, such as zombie bears, mad scientists and rogue government agencies, before things get worse in her post-zombie, post-resurrection America.… (more)

108 wanted3 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible