The Snow Child: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize in…

The Snow Child: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction Finalists) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eowyn Ivey (Author)

Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees. This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.--From Amazon.… (more)
Member:DeclanM
Title:The Snow Child: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction Finalists)
Authors:Eowyn Ivey (Author)
Info:Reagan Arthur Books (2012), Edition: 1, 400 pages

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Author) (2012)

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Same delicate language and imagery, a similar sense of wistful beauty and elements of magical realism.
    The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel by Helene Wecker (Iudita)
    The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (Iudita)
    Iudita: Beautifully written and based on folklore.
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A folk tale brought to life.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (suniru)
    suniru: Both books center upon orphans and both have fairy tale roots.

English (279)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  All languages (285)
It seems all I can do is agree with most everyone here. An endearing(?) novel that is certainly a bit of a tear jerker. I didn't want the tale to end, now that I am done, I am at a loss for what to read next. It was expertly written and lovely. I want to run off into the woods now. ( )
  Cliff_F | Sep 11, 2020 |
Darn goodreads rating system- I wanted to give this 4.5 stars ;) Beautiful book! ( )
  RivkaC | Aug 28, 2020 |
This story is so beautiful written; it's almost like a fairy tale. The brutal and gorgeous nature feels so real, I imagined myself sitting in a small cabin, reading the book and listening to the wind and snow play outside. I loved it. Eowyn Ivey keeps the story right on the crossing between fairy tale and reality, keeping the reader constant doubting what's true and what's imagination. The story is both breathtaking and heartbreaking.

My heart was bleeding for Mabel and Jack - they each struggle on their own and have a hard time letting each other in and sharing their thoughts. Not much really happens in the story, but the relationship between Mabel and Jack (and later Faina) keeps the story running and interesting even when the pacing is a bit slow. The Alaskan wilderness crawled under my skin and I was dreaming about a beautiful winter wonderland.

The story is a bit sad at times (obviously) but thankfully the author introduces my favorit character; Esther - she is so much fun and so alive. Another character I liked was Faina even though I never really got to know her - I don't think the author intended me to, though. Faina is so mysterious - a child with both an old and a young spirit. Free, yet trapped - Spreading joy, but also sorrow. She is the essence of a fairy tale.

I loved the ending and it captures the story completely. The Snow Child is a wonderful mix of fairy tale and 'Little House on the Prairie'. This is definitely a re-read for all long winters to come. ( )
  Hyms | Aug 9, 2020 |
The Snow Child is an extraordinary fairy tale for grown ups. Set in 1920's Alaska, this fascinating story follows Jack and Mabel's new move to a remote Alaskan wilderness homestead. While the childless couple struggle with the harsh elements of the Alaskan dark winters, solitude and the physical labors of farming, something magical happens. A small child seems to have been conjured from the snow with Jack and Mabel's love.
The writing is both lyrical and emotionally charged, making this otherworldly novel hard to put down. Beautifully detailed from multiple perspectives, the author paints an unforgettable picture of the remote Alaskan outback and those who live there.
This exceptional novel is magical realism at it's very best. ( )
  Penny_L | Aug 4, 2020 |
It's not at all what I usually read...and I never expected to be totally taken over by this beautiful story about a hostile and brutal land and two families that shared a determination to tame it. The year was 1920 when Jack and Mabel...who had just lost their newborn baby...left the civilization of Pennsylvania to farm in Alaska. Winters were long and hard. One night they started to build a snowman that turned into a little girl..."a Snow Child". The next morning it was gone and Faina entered their lives. She was magical...she was wild...they became convinced that she was more and she was less...but they couldn't sort out just exactly what she was. The story unfolds covering a ten year span. It's captivating in it's simplicity. A beautifully told tale of hardship and magic. ( )
  Carol420 | Jul 9, 2020 |
"Inspired by the Russian fairy tale The Snow Maiden, Eowyn Ivey's deubut novel, The Snow Child (Back Bay: Little, Brown. 2012. ISBN 9780316175661. pap. $14.99; ebk. ISBN 9780316192958), features Jack and Mabel, a childless couple grieving their infant son's death. ...richly evokes landscape and nature as it explores the many types of families that find their way into being."
added by KoobieKitten | editLibrary Journal | January 2015 | Vol. 140 No. 1, Andrea Tarr (Jan 1, 2015)

Ivey, EowynAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hansen, Marielle NielsenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ransome, ArthurContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us.'
'Husband' says the old woman, 'there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl.'

The Little Daughter of the Snow' by Arthur Ransome
For my daughters, Grace and Aurora
Mabel had known there would be silence.

A bewitching tale of heartbreak and hope set in 1920s Alaska.

Jack and Mabel have staked everything on making a fresh start for themselves in a homestead 'at the world's edge' in the raw Alaskan wilderness. But as the days grow shorter, Jack is losing his battle to clear the land, and Mabel can no longer contain her grief for the baby she lost many years before.

The evening the first snow falls, their mood unaccountably changes. In a moment of tenderness, the pair are surprised to find themselves building a snowman - or rather a snow girl - together. The next morning, all trace of her has disappeared, and Jack can't quite shake the notion that he glimpsed a small figure - a child? - running through the spruce trees in the dawn light. And how to explain the little but very human tracks Mabel finds at the edge of their property?

Written with the clarity and vividness of the Russian fairytale from which it takes its inspiration, The Snow Child is an instant classic - the story of a couple who take a child into their hearts, all the while knowing they can never truly call her their own.
L'Alaska , es forêts impénétarables , ses étendues enneigées . Son silence . Sa solitude. Depuis la mort de leur bébé , le marriage de Mabel et Jack n'a plus jamais été le même . Partir vivre sur ces terres inhospitalières paraissait alors une bonne idée . Peu de temps après , une petite fille apparaît près de leur cabane , parfois suivie d'un renard roux tout aussi farouche qu'elle . Qui est elle ? D'où vient elle ? Et si cette petite fille etait la clé de ce Bonheur qu'ils n'attendaient plus ? Inspiré d'un conte traditionnel ruse , la fille de l'hiver est à la fois un roman moderne et intemporel où le réalisme des descriptions n'enlève rien à la poésie d'une histoire merveilleuse ... dans tous les sens du terme.
Set in Alaska,
A gentle tale about a
Snow child. Or is she?
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,748,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible