The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Snow Child (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eowyn Ivey

2,1382063,059 (3.99)250
Member:izzybee
Title:The Snow Child
Authors:Eowyn Ivey
Info:Headline Review (2012), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Author) (2012)

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Same delicate language and imagery, a similar sense of wistful beauty and elements of magical realism.
    The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Iudita)
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A folk tale brought to life.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (suniru)
    suniru: Both books center upon orphans and both have fairy tale roots.

English (202)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (206)
Snow Child is a lovely book that truly evokes a sense of time and place, and it’s a terrific story of love and family that doesn’t devolve into sappiness or melodrama. I loved the sense of mystery in the first part of the book where we’re not sure what is real and what is imagination, and how sane our characters really are. That feeling fades from the story about half way through, as does the supernatural element which the author introduces early on. The second half of the book loses the fairy tale sense and is more a story of family and romance. My only criticism is that the sense of magic that links it with the fairy tale was lost at the end. ( )
  Kkamm | May 7, 2016 |
GENRE/ PUB DATE/PUBLISHER / # OF PAGES Fiction/ 2012/ BackBay Books / 386 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: SA
CHARACTERS Jack & Mabel -- middle-aged couple
TIME/PLACE: 1920's Alaska
FIRST LINES Mabel had know there would be silence.
COMMENTS: Jack and Mabel are a middle-aged, childless couple. They are homesteaders on the Alaskan Frontier. They were originally from Pennsylvania. Mabel had grown up as the daughter of a professor -- more of a town girl than farm. Mabel and Jack wanted children but there was only once pregnancy and the child was stillborn. Mabel has never felt comfortable in all the family gatherings where everyone has their children and she is the odd person w/o. They decide to move to Alaska … quite the endeavor for anyone, especially at their ages. Jack & Mabel are basically alone out in the wilderness, neighbors and the general store are a bit of a distance from them. The silence between them seems to be growing and they are each becoming more inward … until they build a snow child. Shortly thereafter a strange young girl visits them but can never stay long and seems to spend all her time outdoors, even in the frigid winters. She goes away in the summers and when she does have a meal w/ them, they leave the door open so it is cool enough for her. This is a lovely book about 2 people overcoming their loneliness. The bond they form w/ this snow child is one of family and love. Lovely story, I would look for another book by this author. ( )
  pammykn | Apr 14, 2016 |
Rating: 4.5

I knew this was going to have a sad end, and that knowing was looming on my shoulder for most of the book. But it's a very nice read. I love the strong female characters in this book; Mabel - the motherly, warm, and amazing old lady, Esther - the bright, rowdy, fearless friend, and of course - Faina, the snow child. This story is just so magical, and beautiful, and I loved to read it. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This book is full of real life, even as it is filled with the mystery of magic. The grief that Mabel and Jack feel is so powerful that as a reader I held my breath wondering if it would break them. And yet it is the homely offerings of love and friendship and a willingness to take the bad in order to have the ecstasy of joy that ultimately saves them. A beautiful story. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 5, 2016 |
Every time I start a new book, I hope I'll fall in love with it. I hope it will be one I can get lost in while I'm reading it, and then ponder on it for hours after I've read the last page. If I'm lucky, I'll find a couple books a year that do that for me. This is one of those books.

Everything about it is beautiful. The writing. The characters. The harsh Alaskan winters. But most of all, the unexplainable magic that is the snow child, Faina. Much about who she is and where she came from remains vague, allowing the readers to come up with their own explanations, make the book more their own.

Read it. You won't be sorry. ( )
1 vote AngelClaw | Feb 8, 2016 |

Hansen, Marielle NielsenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ransome, ArthurContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us.'
'Husband' says the old woman, 'there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl.'

The Little Daughter of the Snow' by Arthur Ransome
For my daughters, Grace and Aurora
Mabel had known there would be silence.

A bewitching tale of heartbreak and hope set in 1920s Alaska.

Jack and Mabel have staked everything on making a fresh start for themselves in a homestead 'at the world's edge' in the raw Alaskan wilderness. But as the days grow shorter, Jack is losing his battle to clear the land, and Mabel can no longer contain her grief for the baby she lost many years before.

The evening the first snow falls, their mood unaccountably changes. In a moment of tenderness, the pair are surprised to find themselves building a snowman - or rather a snow girl - together. The next morning, all trace of her has disappeared, and Jack can't quite shake the notion that he glimpsed a small figure - a child? - running through the spruce trees in the dawn light. And how to explain the little but very human tracks Mabel finds at the edge of their property?

Written with the clarity and vividness of the Russian fairytale from which it takes its inspiration, The Snow Child is an instant classic - the story of a couple who take a child into their hearts, all the while knowing they can never truly call her their own.
L'Alaska , es forêts impénétarables , ses étendues enneigées . Son silence . Sa solitude. Depuis la mort de leur bébé , le marriage de Mabel et Jack n'a plus jamais été le même . Partir vivre sur ces terres inhospitalières paraissait alors une bonne idée . Peu de temps après , une petite fille apparaît près de leur cabane , parfois suivie d'un renard roux tout aussi farouche qu'elle . Qui est elle ? D'où vient elle ? Et si cette petite fille etait la clé de ce Bonheur qu'ils n'attendaient plus ? Inspiré d'un conte traditionnel ruse , la fille de l'hiver est à la fois un roman moderne et intemporel où le réalisme des descriptions n'enlève rien à la poésie d'une histoire merveilleuse ... dans tous les sens du terme.
Set in Alaska,
A gentle tale about a
Snow child. Or is she?
(passion4reading)

Alaska in the 1920s is a difficult place for Jack and Mabel. Drifting apart, the childless couple discover Faina, a young girl living alone in the wilderness. Soon, Jack and Mabel come to love Faina as their own. But when they learn a surprising truth about the girl, their lives change in profound ways.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,841,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible