The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Snow Child (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eowyn Ivey

Member:madeleinescott
Title:The Snow Child
Authors:Eowyn Ivey
Info:Headline Review (2012), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read January 2013

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Author) (2012)

Recently added byRena37, jevins, Catelam, romanlibrary, HollandseClub, private library, brideofsevenless
    The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Same delicate language and imagery, a similar sense of wistful beauty and elements of magical realism.
    The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Iudita)
    The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (Iudita)
    Iudita: Beautifully written and based on folklore.
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A folk tale brought to life.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (suniru)
    suniru: Both books center upon orphans and both have fairy tale roots.

English (225)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (1)  All (230)
3.5 ( )
  Catelam | Apr 25, 2017 |
This is the retelling of a Russian fairy tale. An older couple, Mabel and Jack, have recently moved to Alaska. They never had children, but one evening when they build a snowman (child/girl), she comes to life…

I really liked this. It’s funny that I’m not a big fan of fantasy nor of magical realism, but I like fairy tales. I didn’t know this Russian tale, but I really liked this retelling! I loved some of the snowy/wintery descriptions (though I’m not always a fan of elaborate descriptions, either) – they really were magical – and it was a great story! ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 12, 2017 |
A folktale is re-imagined as taking place in Alaska during the 1920's. A childless couple is struggling to survive as homesteaders there. Mabel, the wife, is so despondent at the beginning of the book that she ponders going down to the river and allowing herself to fall in. Jack, her husband, focuses on the enormous amount of work it is taking him to clear the land, plant crops, and eke out a living. Hope seems lost to them until some neighbors reach out to help them. One night, feeling unusually light-hearted, they construct a snow person which they decide to make into the image of a little girl. The next day the scarf they had put on the snow figure is gone, and Jack catches a glimpse of an impish child running through the woods. They both begin to see the girl, often accompanied by a red fox, who seems perfectly at home in the Alaskan wilderness. This girl becomes their new obsession, and she will forever change their lives.
I enjoyed this story a lot, the Alaskan setting was new to me and I enjoyed learning more about life there. The story has a mystical quality to it and at the end I wasn't quite sure how to explain it all. Our book discussion group enjoyed hashing over this element and we didn't all agree but we enjoyed the story and were captivated by the characters in it. Definitely a good read - especially on a cold winter's day. ( )
  debs4jc | Apr 6, 2017 |
This is a hard one to rate. The first 2/3 of the book was a solid 5 star read, beautifully written and engrossing. I literally couldn't put it down. Unfortunately, the story took a different turn in part 3, one that led to me lowering the rating. Still, I would highly recommend the novel for the beauty of the story and the writing. It would make an excellent book club read, with much to discuss. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
A lovely book. Full of the natural beauty of the far north. Lots of wildlife. The challenges and heartbreak of homesteading. A couple whose sadness has placed barriers between them.

At first I thought the book was magical realism. Then I decided it wasn't, but I had not idea what category it was instead. Then I concluded that it was magical realism all along.

There is sadness at the end, but also an incredible amount of love and hope.

So glad I decided to try it. Somebody had been thinking of it for book club, then changed to another novel instead. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
"Inspired by the Russian fairy tale The Snow Maiden, Eowyn Ivey's deubut novel, The Snow Child (Back Bay: Little, Brown. 2012. ISBN 9780316175661. pap. $14.99; ebk. ISBN 9780316192958), features Jack and Mabel, a childless couple grieving their infant son's death. ...richly evokes landscape and nature as it explores the many types of families that find their way into being."
added by KoobieKitten | editLibrary Journal | January 2015 | Vol. 140 No. 1, Andrea Tarr (Jan 1, 2015)

Ivey, EowynAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hansen, Marielle NielsenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ransome, ArthurContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us.'
'Husband' says the old woman, 'there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl.'

The Little Daughter of the Snow' by Arthur Ransome
For my daughters, Grace and Aurora
Mabel had known there would be silence.

A bewitching tale of heartbreak and hope set in 1920s Alaska.

Jack and Mabel have staked everything on making a fresh start for themselves in a homestead 'at the world's edge' in the raw Alaskan wilderness. But as the days grow shorter, Jack is losing his battle to clear the land, and Mabel can no longer contain her grief for the baby she lost many years before.

The evening the first snow falls, their mood unaccountably changes. In a moment of tenderness, the pair are surprised to find themselves building a snowman - or rather a snow girl - together. The next morning, all trace of her has disappeared, and Jack can't quite shake the notion that he glimpsed a small figure - a child? - running through the spruce trees in the dawn light. And how to explain the little but very human tracks Mabel finds at the edge of their property?

Written with the clarity and vividness of the Russian fairytale from which it takes its inspiration, The Snow Child is an instant classic - the story of a couple who take a child into their hearts, all the while knowing they can never truly call her their own.
L'Alaska , es forêts impénétarables , ses étendues enneigées . Son silence . Sa solitude. Depuis la mort de leur bébé , le marriage de Mabel et Jack n'a plus jamais été le même . Partir vivre sur ces terres inhospitalières paraissait alors une bonne idée . Peu de temps après , une petite fille apparaît près de leur cabane , parfois suivie d'un renard roux tout aussi farouche qu'elle . Qui est elle ? D'où vient elle ? Et si cette petite fille etait la clé de ce Bonheur qu'ils n'attendaient plus ? Inspiré d'un conte traditionnel ruse , la fille de l'hiver est à la fois un roman moderne et intemporel où le réalisme des descriptions n'enlève rien à la poésie d'une histoire merveilleuse ... dans tous les sens du terme.
Set in Alaska,
A gentle tale about a
Snow child. Or is she?
(passion4reading)

Alaska in the 1920s is a difficult place for Jack and Mabel. Drifting apart, the childless couple discover Faina, a young girl living alone in the wilderness. Soon, Jack and Mabel come to love Faina as their own. But when they learn a surprising truth about the girl, their lives change in profound ways.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible