The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Snow Child (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eowyn Ivey

Member:msf59
Title:The Snow Child
Authors:Eowyn Ivey
Info:Large Print Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 483 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:audiobook

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Author) (2012)

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Same delicate language and imagery, a similar sense of wistful beauty and elements of magical realism.
    The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Iudita)
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A folk tale brought to life.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (suniru)
    suniru: Both books center upon orphans and both have fairy tale roots.

English (215)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (219)
Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child draws upon the Russian fairytale of Snegurochka, also known as the Snow Maiden. In his 1869 The Poetic Outlook on Nature by the Slavs, Alexander Afanasyev includes the story of Snegurochka (Snegurka). In this version an elderly, childless couple build a child of snow that comes to life. This myth is mirrored in Ivey's Snow Child where, in the harsh Alaskan frontier of the 1920's, an elderly, childless couple struggle to stake their claim amidst disconnection, disappointment, and grief.

In the glint of freshly fallen snow Jack and Mabel build a snow girl. Inspired by raw emotion and unmet dreams, snow is carved and adorned by the couple. Later, the snow girl lying crumbled, the gloves and scarf are to be seen on a girl running into the woods. Tracks lead from the remains of the couple's creation and the question floats as if caught in a flurry, who is this girl?

Inhabiting the realm between folklore and realism, Ivey's work caresses its readers with the chill and severity of Alaskan snow, the sharp edges of piercing grief, and the warm enticement of myth and mystery. The harshness of homesteading the wilds of Alaska and the interplay between the fragility and strength possessed by Ivey's characters are well developed. The story is simply built and enjoyable.

Though there were a couple parts that fell to a meander throughout, I was caught by Ivey's use of the visual. The rural and wild Alaskan frontier is as much a main character of The Snow Child as Faina, Jack, Mabel, or Esther. Just as their relationships build and bloom with each other, so do we see each character's relationship with the frontier develop and it was captivating to see the differences and similarities. I came away from the book pleased with both the story as well as Ivey's respect for the nature of Alaska's wilds and the struggle and appreciation experienced by those that settled there. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Really enjoyed the nuances in the books. Can be read ar more thatn one level. ( )
  mgriel | Sep 21, 2016 |
What a wonderful modern fairytale! Heart-warming yet realistic. Makes me want to find something similar to read for this cold season when you long to have someone close to hold and stay warm with. The best part about this story is that until the very end you keep guessing if it's a fairytale or not.. And in the end you can't really be sure - it's up to you to decide. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
In the beginning, I wasn't sure I wanted to read this. Beautiful as the writing was, I felt like I could see what was coming, and it also felt a bit less fairy-tale-ish than what I'd expected, I admit. And then, something changed.

Suddenly, the writing and the characters and the whole of it swept me away, and it felt less predictable than tantalizing. Further in, I couldn't stop reading, though I felt as if it was opening up my heart further and further, only to break it apart in the end. I felt like I couldn't stop reading, though I rather wanted to, and it was both the magic of the story and the magic of the prose pulling me along for every dose of reading.

In the end, I am so glad to have found it, and was so moved by each moment as it moved along that I'm still not sure what to make of it. It wasn't so heartbreaking as I expected, and it wasn't so fairy-tale-ish, and yet there was such a magic to it that I rather want to read it again for both the tears and the joy.

Simply, it was awful and wonderful, and hard and soft, and everything you could want in a read, all wrapped together and poured into a heart and broken apart and lifted up to the sun for warming.

Yes, I recommend it. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Aug 31, 2016 |

Originally posted here

'We never know what is going to happen, do we? Life is always throwing us this way and that. That's where the adventure is. Not knowing where you'll end up or how you'll fare. It's all a mystery, and when we say any different we're just lying to ourselves.'

Set in the untamed wilds of Alaska in 1920, The Snow Child is a modern fairytale that really captured my imagination. It is a slow character driven book focusing on a childless older married couple, Mabel and Jack, as they struggle to make a living off the land of their newly acquired homestead. I really enjoyed the bleak and wintry atmosphere that mirrored their loneliness and their struggle for survival. The vivid descriptions of the Alaskan wilderness was one of my favourite things about this book. The story develops slowly over several years and I felt like I could picture the seasons perfectly so I really appreciated the slow pace.

Mabel and Jack's nearest neighbour, Esther and her family, provided a cheerful break to some of the bleaker scenes. Esther is a no-nonsense matriarch and it was beautiful to see true and lasting friendships develop.

The snow child, Faina was a complete ethereal enigma to me, I was constantly questioning whether she was real and I just needed to know how the story ended. Was she an abandoned girl or a figment of the imagination? I personally thought the ending was just perfect. It's exactly the kind of ending I like. The entire book was just so enchanting and the more I am thinking of it, the more it is growing on me. The overall tone of the book is largely melancholic but is also quietly hopeful, it would be a perfect book to read in the winter. ( )
  4everfanatical | Aug 19, 2016 |

Hansen, Marielle NielsenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ransome, ArthurContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us.'
'Husband' says the old woman, 'there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl.'

The Little Daughter of the Snow' by Arthur Ransome
For my daughters, Grace and Aurora
Mabel had known there would be silence.

A bewitching tale of heartbreak and hope set in 1920s Alaska.

Jack and Mabel have staked everything on making a fresh start for themselves in a homestead 'at the world's edge' in the raw Alaskan wilderness. But as the days grow shorter, Jack is losing his battle to clear the land, and Mabel can no longer contain her grief for the baby she lost many years before.

The evening the first snow falls, their mood unaccountably changes. In a moment of tenderness, the pair are surprised to find themselves building a snowman - or rather a snow girl - together. The next morning, all trace of her has disappeared, and Jack can't quite shake the notion that he glimpsed a small figure - a child? - running through the spruce trees in the dawn light. And how to explain the little but very human tracks Mabel finds at the edge of their property?

Written with the clarity and vividness of the Russian fairytale from which it takes its inspiration, The Snow Child is an instant classic - the story of a couple who take a child into their hearts, all the while knowing they can never truly call her their own.
L'Alaska , es forêts impénétarables , ses étendues enneigées . Son silence . Sa solitude. Depuis la mort de leur bébé , le marriage de Mabel et Jack n'a plus jamais été le même . Partir vivre sur ces terres inhospitalières paraissait alors une bonne idée . Peu de temps après , une petite fille apparaît près de leur cabane , parfois suivie d'un renard roux tout aussi farouche qu'elle . Qui est elle ? D'où vient elle ? Et si cette petite fille etait la clé de ce Bonheur qu'ils n'attendaient plus ? Inspiré d'un conte traditionnel ruse , la fille de l'hiver est à la fois un roman moderne et intemporel où le réalisme des descriptions n'enlève rien à la poésie d'une histoire merveilleuse ... dans tous les sens du terme.
Set in Alaska,
A gentle tale about a
Snow child. Or is she?
(passion4reading)

Alaska in the 1920s is a difficult place for Jack and Mabel. Drifting apart, the childless couple discover Faina, a young girl living alone in the wilderness. Soon, Jack and Mabel come to love Faina as their own. But when they learn a surprising truth about the girl, their lives change in profound ways.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,198,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible