The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Snow Child (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eowyn Ivey

Member:msf59
Title:The Snow Child
Authors:Eowyn Ivey
Info:Large Print Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 483 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:audiobook

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Author) (2012)

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Same delicate language and imagery, a similar sense of wistful beauty and elements of magical realism.
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A folk tale brought to life.
    The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Iudita)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (suniru)
    suniru: Both books center upon orphans and both have fairy tale roots.

English (173)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (177)
I was totally engaged with The Snow Child by Ewoyn Ivey within minutes of picking it up. This is a gem of a book and I was totally engrossed in this wonderful tale that is partly a survival story about homesteading in Alaska and partly a magical story of enchantment. Talk about breathing new life into an older story, this author’s take on an old Russian folk tale is brilliant.

Jack and Mabel have come to Alaska for a fresh start. We quickly learn of their sadness over their childlessness, but for all of that, we also learn of their deep love for each other, and under their stern visage that they show to the world is a playfulness that only occasionally breaks free. It is in this state of playfulness that they build a snow child together one evening during the first snowfall. The next day, the snow child is gone, leaving a pile of snow in her place but they soon start seeing a young girl in the woods near their place.

Wonderfully written, the author keeps a perfect balance between the descriptions of the wild and untamed beauty of Alaska, the backbreaking work of homesteading this virgin territory and the mysterious, spellbinding part of the story that makes it so captivating. This has been one of my most favorite reads of the year so far. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 2, 2015 |
This was very different from what I usually read, but I enjoyed it. The writing was beautiful and really captured me at the beginning, although I will say the plot dragged quite a bit here and there.

I had no trouble sympathizing with the characters. Their situation was so heartbreaking. But I didn't like the way things were left unresolved, with so many questions unanswered.

But, all in all, worth the read. ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
For a long time now I have been having great trouble getting into a good novel, but this really intrigued me so thought I would give it a go.

It's a real slow burner which I'm usually not a fan of, but the scene is set so perfectly that I could read descriptions of the snowy landscape for an age. The story is simple, sweet, and innocent and I found myself getting drawn in very easily, with an immense love for every single character.

I highly recommend this book if you want to be transported to a different land and time. I look forward to when Ivey writes her next novel! ( )
  nikkijayne28 | Aug 1, 2015 |
Lovely, magical. Slow start but after 40 or 50 pages I was hooked. ( )
  susanbooks | Jul 20, 2015 |

Hansen, Marielle NielsenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ransome, ArthurContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us.'
'Husband' says the old woman, 'there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl.'

The Little Daughter of the Snow' by Arthur Ransome
For my daughters, Grace and Aurora
Mabel had known there would be silence.

A bewitching tale of heartbreak and hope set in 1920s Alaska.

Jack and Mabel have staked everything on making a fresh start for themselves in a homestead 'at the world's edge' in the raw Alaskan wilderness. But as the days grow shorter, Jack is losing his battle to clear the land, and Mabel can no longer contain her grief for the baby she lost many years before.

The evening the first snow falls, their mood unaccountably changes. In a moment of tenderness, the pair are surprised to find themselves building a snowman - or rather a snow girl - together. The next morning, all trace of her has disappeared, and Jack can't quite shake the notion that he glimpsed a small figure - a child? - running through the spruce trees in the dawn light. And how to explain the little but very human tracks Mabel finds at the edge of their property?

Written with the clarity and vividness of the Russian fairytale from which it takes its inspiration, The Snow Child is an instant classic - the story of a couple who take a child into their hearts, all the while knowing they can never truly call her their own.
L'Alaska , es forêts impénétarables , ses étendues enneigées . Son silence . Sa solitude. Depuis la mort de leur bébé , le marriage de Mabel et Jack n'a plus jamais été le même . Partir vivre sur ces terres inhospitalières paraissait alors une bonne idée . Peu de temps après , une petite fille apparaît près de leur cabane , parfois suivie d'un renard roux tout aussi farouche qu'elle . Qui est elle ? D'où vient elle ? Et si cette petite fille etait la clé de ce Bonheur qu'ils n'attendaient plus ? Inspiré d'un conte traditionnel ruse , la fille de l'hiver est à la fois un roman moderne et intemporel où le réalisme des descriptions n'enlève rien à la poésie d'une histoire merveilleuse ... dans tous les sens du terme.
Set in Alaska,
A gentle tale about a
Snow child. Or is she?
(passion4reading)

Alaska in the 1920s is a difficult place for Jack and Mabel. Drifting apart, the childless couple discover Faina, a young girl living alone in the wilderness. Soon, Jack and Mabel come to love Faina as their own. But when they learn a surprising truth about the girl, their lives change in profound ways.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,151,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible