The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Snow Child (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eowyn Ivey

Member:msf59
Title:The Snow Child
Authors:Eowyn Ivey
Info:Large Print Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 483 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:audiobook

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Author) (2012)

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Same delicate language and imagery, a similar sense of wistful beauty and elements of magical realism.
    The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Iudita)
    The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (Iudita)
    Iudita: Beautifully written and based on folklore.
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A folk tale brought to life.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (suniru)
    suniru: Both books center upon orphans and both have fairy tale roots.

English (222)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (226)
This is a hard one to rate. The first 2/3 of the book was a solid 5 star read, beautifully written and engrossing. I literally couldn't put it down. Unfortunately, the story took a different turn in part 3, one that led to me lowering the rating. Still, I would highly recommend the novel for the beauty of the story and the writing. It would make an excellent book club read, with much to discuss. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
A lovely book. Full of the natural beauty of the far north. Lots of wildlife. The challenges and heartbreak of homesteading. A couple whose sadness has placed barriers between them.

At first I thought the book was magical realism. Then I decided it wasn't, but I had not idea what category it was instead. Then I concluded that it was magical realism all along.

There is sadness at the end, but also an incredible amount of love and hope.

So glad I decided to try it. Somebody had been thinking of it for book club, then changed to another novel instead. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Sounds like just the kind of strange, surreal fairy tale I'd like!
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
I was not expecting to love this book, just didn't seem to be what I was in the mood to read. But once I started, I had to keep going. The words were so well-chosen....so much imagery out of just a few words. The story itself was fine but it was the writing that drew me in. I did love how the characters developed during the story. Not going to move to a remote area of Alaska anytime soon, though! Well worth reading. ( )
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
Mmmm. Crying and reading while my husband watches a zombie show. It says much for this transformative book that I am in the cold, clear woods of Alaska no matter my true surroundings. A fairy tale-like story of love and contentment, which is no small thing. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
"Inspired by the Russian fairy tale The Snow Maiden, Eowyn Ivey's deubut novel, The Snow Child (Back Bay: Little, Brown. 2012. ISBN 9780316175661. pap. $14.99; ebk. ISBN 9780316192958), features Jack and Mabel, a childless couple grieving their infant son's death. ...richly evokes landscape and nature as it explores the many types of families that find their way into being."
added by KoobieKitten | editLibrary Journal | January 2015 | Vol. 140 No. 1, Andrea Tarr (Jan 1, 2015)

Ivey, EowynAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hansen, Marielle NielsenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ransome, ArthurContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us.'
'Husband' says the old woman, 'there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl.'

The Little Daughter of the Snow' by Arthur Ransome
For my daughters, Grace and Aurora
Mabel had known there would be silence.

A bewitching tale of heartbreak and hope set in 1920s Alaska.

Jack and Mabel have staked everything on making a fresh start for themselves in a homestead 'at the world's edge' in the raw Alaskan wilderness. But as the days grow shorter, Jack is losing his battle to clear the land, and Mabel can no longer contain her grief for the baby she lost many years before.

The evening the first snow falls, their mood unaccountably changes. In a moment of tenderness, the pair are surprised to find themselves building a snowman - or rather a snow girl - together. The next morning, all trace of her has disappeared, and Jack can't quite shake the notion that he glimpsed a small figure - a child? - running through the spruce trees in the dawn light. And how to explain the little but very human tracks Mabel finds at the edge of their property?

Written with the clarity and vividness of the Russian fairytale from which it takes its inspiration, The Snow Child is an instant classic - the story of a couple who take a child into their hearts, all the while knowing they can never truly call her their own.
L'Alaska , es forêts impénétarables , ses étendues enneigées . Son silence . Sa solitude. Depuis la mort de leur bébé , le marriage de Mabel et Jack n'a plus jamais été le même . Partir vivre sur ces terres inhospitalières paraissait alors une bonne idée . Peu de temps après , une petite fille apparaît près de leur cabane , parfois suivie d'un renard roux tout aussi farouche qu'elle . Qui est elle ? D'où vient elle ? Et si cette petite fille etait la clé de ce Bonheur qu'ils n'attendaient plus ? Inspiré d'un conte traditionnel ruse , la fille de l'hiver est à la fois un roman moderne et intemporel où le réalisme des descriptions n'enlève rien à la poésie d'une histoire merveilleuse ... dans tous les sens du terme.
Set in Alaska,
A gentle tale about a
Snow child. Or is she?
(passion4reading)

Alaska in the 1920s is a difficult place for Jack and Mabel. Drifting apart, the childless couple discover Faina, a young girl living alone in the wilderness. Soon, Jack and Mabel come to love Faina as their own. But when they learn a surprising truth about the girl, their lives change in profound ways.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,641,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible