The snow child : a novel by Eowyn Ivey

The snow child : a novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eowyn Ivey

2,0692053,207 (3.99)246
Member:kohsamui
Title:The snow child : a novel
Authors:Eowyn Ivey
Info:New York : Little, Brown and Co., 2012.

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Author) (2012)

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Same delicate language and imagery, a similar sense of wistful beauty and elements of magical realism.
    The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A folk tale brought to life.
    The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Iudita)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (suniru)
    suniru: Both books center upon orphans and both have fairy tale roots.

English (200)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (204)
Every time I start a new book, I hope I'll fall in love with it. I hope it will be one I can get lost in while I'm reading it, and then ponder on it for hours after I've read the last page. If I'm lucky, I'll find a couple books a year that do that for me. This is one of those books.

Everything about it is beautiful. The writing. The characters. The harsh Alaskan winters. But most of all, the unexplainable magic that is the snow child, Faina. Much about who she is and where she came from remains vague, allowing the readers to come up with their own explanations, make the book more their own.

Read it. You won't be sorry. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 8, 2016 |
I really didn't like anything about this book. I hated the Alaskan setting, didn't identify with any of the characters (except maybe Jack) and overall found the whole thing rather bleak and depressing... even with the somewhat nice ending. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Is this magical realism? A fairy tale wound into real life where you can't tell where one ends and the other starts? What is real and what you believe might be? At any rate, it is a lovely and magical novel of the harshness of the Alaskan frontier homesteads, of empty, aching hearts waiting to be filled and love - cautious, joyous, heartbreaking and hopeful. What will the winter bring?
Quite a nice story. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Deschutes County library Everybody Reads book for this year. Enjoyed the recurring themes woven into the story, thought the ending was implausible even for a story admittedly magical. Not a book I would necessarily recommend, although there were things I liked about it and enjoyed reading it. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
I read a review on this book and was curious to find out more about it so I picked up the audio cd version and started reading. The author did an excellect job describing life in Alaska during the 1800s. I was drawn to the story by the light element of magic that traced through the storyline...was the child really a snow child come to life? Did she make the Winter snow fall when she was happy and snow storms when she was upset? The couple featured in the story were so loveable as well. They were very believable and it was easy to get lost in this story, feeling as if I was right there in their cabin each night through hard winters, injuries and snowball fights. I was surprised that I would like this book but glad that I picked it up. It was a great winter read. The ending is sad but approiate. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |

Hansen, Marielle NielsenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ransome, ArthurContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us.'
'Husband' says the old woman, 'there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl.'

The Little Daughter of the Snow' by Arthur Ransome
For my daughters, Grace and Aurora
Mabel had known there would be silence.

A bewitching tale of heartbreak and hope set in 1920s Alaska.

Jack and Mabel have staked everything on making a fresh start for themselves in a homestead 'at the world's edge' in the raw Alaskan wilderness. But as the days grow shorter, Jack is losing his battle to clear the land, and Mabel can no longer contain her grief for the baby she lost many years before.

The evening the first snow falls, their mood unaccountably changes. In a moment of tenderness, the pair are surprised to find themselves building a snowman - or rather a snow girl - together. The next morning, all trace of her has disappeared, and Jack can't quite shake the notion that he glimpsed a small figure - a child? - running through the spruce trees in the dawn light. And how to explain the little but very human tracks Mabel finds at the edge of their property?

Written with the clarity and vividness of the Russian fairytale from which it takes its inspiration, The Snow Child is an instant classic - the story of a couple who take a child into their hearts, all the while knowing they can never truly call her their own.
L'Alaska , es forêts impénétarables , ses étendues enneigées . Son silence . Sa solitude. Depuis la mort de leur bébé , le marriage de Mabel et Jack n'a plus jamais été le même . Partir vivre sur ces terres inhospitalières paraissait alors une bonne idée . Peu de temps après , une petite fille apparaît près de leur cabane , parfois suivie d'un renard roux tout aussi farouche qu'elle . Qui est elle ? D'où vient elle ? Et si cette petite fille etait la clé de ce Bonheur qu'ils n'attendaient plus ? Inspiré d'un conte traditionnel ruse , la fille de l'hiver est à la fois un roman moderne et intemporel où le réalisme des descriptions n'enlève rien à la poésie d'une histoire merveilleuse ... dans tous les sens du terme.
Set in Alaska,
A gentle tale about a
Snow child. Or is she?
(passion4reading)

Alaska in the 1920s is a difficult place for Jack and Mabel. Drifting apart, the childless couple discover Faina, a young girl living alone in the wilderness. Soon, Jack and Mabel come to love Faina as their own. But when they learn a surprising truth about the girl, their lives change in profound ways.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,178,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible