Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia, young adult, mosters

Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Pure by Julianna Baggott (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both have female protagonist who are growing up and trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world.
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar teen/dystopian themes of survival and growing up. Also, Drowned Cities by P.B.

I thought this book was amazing. If you like Hunger Games you will love this series. It starts with Enclave http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7137327-enclave This is the second in the series and there will be more to come. It has a great female lead, lots of action and a little steam. It is rated young adult, but can withstand adult reading for sure! ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The characters really developed in the second novel, although the setting was still largely implausible. ( )
  whitebalcony | Jun 30, 2014 |
Deuce and her friends have made it to Salvation, and are at least temporarily safe from the bloodthirsty Freaks. But considered a child by the townspeople, and forbidden from fighting because of her gender, can Deuce adjust to life without being a Huntress?

An omnipresent feeling of danger permeates this sequel to Enclave. The Freaks remain disturbing enemies, with plenty of brutal, bloody fights to provide pulse-raising action. Deuce's expanding ability to understand her own feelings and her connections with Tegan, Fade, and Stalker form the emotional core of the book, and her fumbling attempts to figure out where she fits into the town of Salvation are believable. ( )
  clio11 | Feb 13, 2014 |
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

My recent reread of Enclave turned out to be a bit disappointing compared to my past love of it. Knowing that, I went into Outpost with lowered expectations and came out of it pretty pleased. This series seems to me to be getting stronger, a trend I hope to see continued in Horde.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Nov 13, 2013 |
Outpost by Ann Aguirre is the second book in her Razorland dystopian series, and this second offering is quite different from the first. While the first book focused on action and survival, this book is more about the emotional development and internal growth of the characters, in particular that of Deuce, the female main character.

The readers also learn a lot more about the enemy or freaks as they are called. These are definitely not zombies but are instead a mutant creature. Savage and cannibalistic, they are showing signs that they are becoming more organized and by the end of the book have the town of Salvation under siege. Of course there is plenty of action, as Deuce and her friends Fade and Stalker, join the militia and spend time both on guard duty and patrols, fighting off attacks by these mutants. Although I grow weary of the romantic triangle aspect, Deuce is a very interesting character and I enjoy both reading about her and her internal thought process.

I have enjoyed reading about these characters and the story moves along quickly with plenty of excitement to help offset the quieter moments. I will be on the lookout for the next volume as Outpost left off with the four main characters setting off on a rescue mission that looks to be both dangerous and thrilling. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 29, 2013 |
For Jenn of the eerily similar brain, and Karen of the Twitter taunting.
I woke to the cold kiss of steel on my throat.

Deuce struggles for respect in a new topside town where she is treated like a child and avoided by Fade, a situation that compels her to volunteer for patrol duty and protect topside citizens from an unexpected upsurge in Freak activity.

79 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible