Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia, young adult, mosters

Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Pure by Julianna Baggott (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both have female protagonist who are growing up and trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world.
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar teen/dystopian themes of survival and growing up. Also, Drowned Cities by P.B.

The characters really developed in the second novel, although the setting was still largely implausible. ( )
  whitebalcony | Jun 30, 2014 |
Deuce and her friends have made it to Salvation, and are at least temporarily safe from the bloodthirsty Freaks. But considered a child by the townspeople, and forbidden from fighting because of her gender, can Deuce adjust to life without being a Huntress?

An omnipresent feeling of danger permeates this sequel to Enclave. The Freaks remain disturbing enemies, with plenty of brutal, bloody fights to provide pulse-raising action. Deuce's expanding ability to understand her own feelings and her connections with Tegan, Fade, and Stalker form the emotional core of the book, and her fumbling attempts to figure out where she fits into the town of Salvation are believable. ( )
  clio11 | Feb 13, 2014 |
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

My recent reread of Enclave turned out to be a bit disappointing compared to my past love of it. Knowing that, I went into Outpost with lowered expectations and came out of it pretty pleased. This series seems to me to be getting stronger, a trend I hope to see continued in Horde.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Nov 13, 2013 |
Outpost by Ann Aguirre is the second book in her Razorland dystopian series, and this second offering is quite different from the first. While the first book focused on action and survival, this book is more about the emotional development and internal growth of the characters, in particular that of Deuce, the female main character.

The readers also learn a lot more about the enemy or freaks as they are called. These are definitely not zombies but are instead a mutant creature. Savage and cannibalistic, they are showing signs that they are becoming more organized and by the end of the book have the town of Salvation under siege. Of course there is plenty of action, as Deuce and her friends Fade and Stalker, join the militia and spend time both on guard duty and patrols, fighting off attacks by these mutants. Although I grow weary of the romantic triangle aspect, Deuce is a very interesting character and I enjoy both reading about her and her internal thought process.

I have enjoyed reading about these characters and the story moves along quickly with plenty of excitement to help offset the quieter moments. I will be on the lookout for the next volume as Outpost left off with the four main characters setting off on a rescue mission that looks to be both dangerous and thrilling. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 29, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Deuce tries to find a place in a civilization that defines a girl the exact opposite of what she is.

Opening Sentence: I woke to the cold kiss of steel on my throat.

The Review:

Deuce is getting used to village life. Well, as much as a warrior can get used to cooking, sewing and school. Her host family makes it easier to live in Salvation, but the other citizens still criticize and blame her and her crew for the increasing Freak attacks. With Fade ignoring her and Stalker’s ever increasing attention, Deuce wishes she could avoid the snickers behind her back at lunch and the constant stares in town. So when the opportunity to guard the spring planting comes up, Deuce jumps at the prospect, leaving behind the warm bed and roof over her head for the open skies and danger lurking at every corner. Of course this is supposed to be a simple guard shift. But the Freaks are getting smarter (if that’s possible), and they have their eyes set on the village. But Deuce will lay down her life for her new home, yet will that be enough to save everyone inside?

I’m not sure why I put off reading this book because it is one of the best books I’ve read in a while. Deuce’s voice has grown since the first book: from full on warrior (or Hunter) to a softened fighter who acknowledges her emotions and accepts the kindness of others. And she may or may not understand the term “love” (or “sparks”) Momma Oaks keeps mentioning. The plot is never boring and the characters are all intriguing in their own way. Nothing about this book is simple, yet the writing conveys the most complex situations or feelings in the simplest terms (and this is not a negative.)

Yet despite the impending Freak attack arc, the characters are what makes this book a glass of water in a desert of boring books. Deuce has developed so much since the first book and she develops even more with her new environment and caring parents. Fade as usual doesn’t speak a lot, but when he does, he will make your heart melt. I have come to sympathize with Stalker. He has come a long way from the enemy in book one to a trusted ally in book two. But the love triangle! I love it because it’s not the usual heroine-can’t-decide-which-awesome-guy-to-choose. It’s always been Fade since the very beginning, yet when he’s not there, she trains with Stalker (which Fade thinks is her choice over him and encourages Stalker, but really she’s still Fade’s but he ignores her so it all comes full circle and AHHH so simple yet so complicated.)

Overall, I loved this book, beginning to end. The only thing I have to nitpick is the cover. Really, it’s terrible for the story. It makes the book so much more gruesome and unappealing than it actually is. WARNING: AWFUL, TERRIBLE, DESPICABLE CLIFFHANGER AHEAD!!!!! I just about cried how this ended. Just the (@^@(*%#^*#@)@$*% and all that stuff I can’t tell you about!!! Read the book. And you will understand the struggle.

Notable Scene:

None shall pass, I told myself. It was a vow in the silence of my own head. I shut out the external distractions, inner dread, and focused on my enemies. They were stronger than those I’d fought in the ruins, better nourished. They ate well in the wilderness, plenty of big, meaty game, which made me think they had another reason for attacking us. Certainly, we were a food source, but their hate-filled cries told me they viewed us as real enemies. It was a horrifying thought.

To them, we are the evil ones. We are the threat that must be exterminated.

The idea shook me so much that a Freak pushed me back, unbalancing my stance. Its claw racked a runnel in my stomach. I lost sight of the terrain around me and stumbled over the corpse of its fallen brethren. I landed hard, and my right dagger bounced out of my hand.

For this, I thought, I deserve to die. I’d failed in my training. Permitted my thoughts to break my concentration. The shame would kill me if this Freak failed. Nonetheless, I aimed my left dagger at its hamstring and sliced, driving it away from the killing strike.

FTC Advisory: Fiewel & Freinds/Macmillan provided me with a copy of Outpost. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Sep 22, 2013 |
For Jenn of the eerily similar brain, and Karen of the Twitter taunting.
I woke to the cold kiss of steel on my throat.

Deuce struggles for respect in a new topside town where she is treated like a child and avoided by Fade, a situation that compels her to volunteer for patrol duty and protect topside citizens from an unexpected upsurge in Freak activity.

79 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,530,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible