Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia, young adult, mosters

Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Pure by Julianna Baggott (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both have female protagonist who are growing up and trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world.
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar teen/dystopian themes of survival and growing up. Also, Drowned Cities by P.B.

Hard to put down! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Deuce and her friends find themselves in a whole different world in Salvation. There are new situations and drama to face as well as more and expanded versions of the old drama. There is loss in this book, I was brought to tears at one point. There is also a lot of judgement in this book that certain characters will have to face and/or rise above. And there are more decisions to be made in this book, both uplifting and somewhat lighthearted, as well as devastating and difficult. This book will take you through many emotions, a lot of action, and will keep you wanting to read more. I'm eager to continue reading the next novella and book 3. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Follow Deuce and her friends as they fight the muties (which aren't exactly zombies) and look for a safe refuge. Have they found safety in Salvation or is this where they will end their days fighting an enemy that seems unbeatable?

I don't want to give anything away. It's hard to review books in a series sometimes. I would say that it's best not to read this review if you haven't read Enclave (you can find my Enclave review here http://jadedog13.booklikes.com/post/1111865/enclave-review).

This book continues to follow Deuce, Fade, Teagan and Stalker as they attempt to navigate the world they find themselves in. Between trying to fit in at Salvation and trying to fight the muties, they don't get much peace. While Salvation seems safe, you can't be sure of much in this world. The enemy is still out there and the wood walls surrounding Salvation won't keep them safe forever.

I really enjoyed this series. I will admit that I do have a thing for zombie and apocalypse stories, so maybe I'm a little biased. But the characters are strong and easy to root for, even some that you think you will never like. I was worried about the love triangle, but it doesn't really take over the story and bottom line is, there is only one boy for Deuce. I love that about her. The boy just needs to realize what he has and stop being jealous.

A great series that I couldn't put down!!

Recommended to:
Young adults (and adults) who enjoy apocalypse and zombie type stories. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Deuce and her small group have made it to Salvation, a small fortified town. It is hard for the group to settle in to a more civilized life after their years living underground and on the streets. None of them knew any other way of life. Deuce is quick to volunteer for guard duty, which makes some community members angry because it is not women’s work. Deuce and the others find the “freaks” are starting to strategize more and the town’s safety and planning for winter could be at risk.

I really enjoyed this book and I can’t wait for the next. The book started a little slower than Enclave as the characters were getting use to their new lives in a town. However, once the fighting started it was once again quick and brutal. Deuce is a more emotional character in this book as she learns people can care for her as a person and young girl and not just a huntress with a job. I couldn’t stop turning the pages and I was rewarded with a well-planned story. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Jenn of the eerily similar brain, and Karen of the Twitter taunting.
I woke to the cold kiss of steel on my throat.

Deuce struggles for respect in a new topside town where she is treated like a child and avoided by Fade, a situation that compels her to volunteer for patrol duty and protect topside citizens from an unexpected upsurge in Freak activity.

99 wanted3 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,115,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible