The Outcasts: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 1…

The Outcasts: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 1 (original 2011; edition 2012)

by John Flanagan

Member:pigeonlover
Title:The Outcasts: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 1
Authors:John Flanagan
Info:Puffin (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

The Outcasts: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 1 by John Flanagan (2011)

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
Not as awesome as the Rangers Apprentice, but all ready can see the bonds developing and the strengthening of each charachter. Good to have some familiar faces in the crowd with the Oberjarl and such. I love the way Flanagan can form the bonds between the charachters and make you cheer for them and want to see them make it. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Feb 8, 2014 |
Hal is almost 16 and is on his way to brotherband training. Thorn and Stig had become his best friends. He owns a boat, the Heron which he and Stig had continued building together with some help from Ingvar and the twins, Wulf and Ulf. When she was finally finished, they took her out to sea and was delighted that she performed wonderfully. She was even better than a typical Skandian wolfship because of the special triangular sails (shaped like a heron's wings; thus the name) he made for her. Now they enter a compotition to see who will be rewarded. The team faces off against other teams.
I thought the book was really good. It kept me on my toes every page. I would want to stay up all night just to read the last pages. There was a twist every page of unexpected happenings. I thought at first the kids were going to lose but in the end they won. i knew this book was going to be good because of the Author. So i would recommend if you like thrilling stories. ( )
  JustinK.B3 | Dec 12, 2013 |
Flanagan does it again! He did an excellent job showing all the personalities of the each member of the crew of the Heron. He gives good clues to what will happen with the crew when they begin their brotherband. It is great how he integrates the Skandians and Erak. This was a page turner for sure. ( )
  miakabella | Jun 5, 2013 |
I liked this book, especially for not being a fan of these types of books (all male characters, set in Medieval times). Flanigan did a nice job with the third person omniscient and had great character development.
Definitely an 8th grade level! ( )
  smheatherly2 | Apr 2, 2013 |
I was a bit hesitant to read this series. Not because I don't love John Flanagan, but I felt that there was nothing that could compete with Ranger's Apprentice. How could a make through a book of Skandians without Will and Halt? I was so wrong! Even though my favorite characters are not there, Flanagan has given us a new family to love and share adventures with. You will not be disappointed with this series! ( )
  kelley1673 | Jan 20, 2013 |

From the author of the global phenomenon Ranger's Apprentice!

They are outcasts. Hal, Stig, and the others - they are the boys the others want no part of. Skandians, as any reader of Ranger's Apprentice could tell you, are known for their size and strength. Not these boys. Yet that doesn't mean they don't have skills. And courage - which they will need every ounce of to do battle at sea against the other bands, the Wolves and the Sharks, in the ultimate race. The icy waters make for a treacherous playing field . . . especially when not everyone thinks of it as playing. John Flanagan, author of the international phenomenon Ranger's Apprentice, creates a new cast of characters to populate his world of Skandians and Araluens, a world millions of young readers around the world have come to know and admire. Full of seafaring adventures and epic battles, Book 1 of The Brotherband Chronicles is sure to thrill readers of Ranger's Apprentice while enticing a whole new generation just now discovering the books.

Perfect for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, T.H. White’s The Sword in the Stone, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon series, and George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:32 -0400)

Skandian outcasts Hal, Stig, and others do battle at sea against the Wolves and the Sharks, in the ultimate race across icy waters where not everyone thinks of the competition as play.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible