Ranger's Apprentice: The Lost Stories…

Ranger's Apprentice: The Lost Stories (2011)

by John Flanagan

[review from 2012]

I finished the Lost Stories. The last book in the Ranger’s Apprentice series. And wow, that must have been about the most painful experience of my life. Everyone has all grown up and gotten married and Will is actually aging correctly (I was worried he wasn’t for the past few books, but as it turns out by the time-skip he’s likely in his mid-twenties and after the time-skip he’s THIRTY; in fact, Will is probably the oldest protagonist I’ve seen because he’s really only a teen for the first four books). Anyways. The stories.

All of them were great. I cried because Horace and Cassandra got married. Halt. We got to see Halt as a young man, barely older than Will. (He must be in his sixties by the time the series is over. Dx) The worst part (both mentally and yeah, that was actually bad) was Tug. Tug got retired (when Will was 30 years old omfg my baby has grown up) … and they gave him a new Tug. No, really. They named Tug Bellapthron or something like that and named the new horse Tug and the old Tug was forgotten. That pissed me off. New Tug got to go to his wedding (WHICH WAS AMAZING) as best horse.

All in all, an amazing send-off to an amazing series, and I’m really sad it’s ending. I might pick up Brotherband; but to be honest I would rather have more Will, Horace and Halt than Hal. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
John Flanagan did a great job with this book. Sometimes a collection of short stories will just fall flat and leave you feeling bleh. Not this one though.

Flanagan packed each story chock full of what I've come to expect from the RA Series-adventure, fun, a tiny bit of mystery and suspense and a good ending.

I was a little confused at the first, with the whole archeological thing, but it quickly made sense. Just the first couple of pages made me wonder if I'd gotten a bad ebook or something. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Ranger's Apprentice is amazing, and this book was amazing as well. The thing that is different about this book is that it is filled with multiple short stories. Most of the short stories lead up to the same events though. They are take place in a logical time in the history of the RA world and they make sense. It isn't like a TV series that just tells cool stories without a sense of time. Personally, I love the lore of the Rangers and the nations they travel to and I found this book to be very informative. They fill the gaps between certain books and provide answers to many questions. Some of the answers may not be the ones we were looking for, but they are interesting nonetheless. My favorite story is that of how Halt and Crowley met. They are two of my favorite characters and Halt has one the most intriguing story out of all the other characters. It was also interesting to see the state of the kingdom. It had been referenced that Morgorath had the majority of the Ranger Corps dismantled and banished from the kingdom, but the books never explored that time period. It was cool getting to see the reaction that Rangers elicited back then compared to how they are viewed in the time period most of the books take place in. The other story that I thought was rally nice was the wedding of Will and Alyss, both of whom are really good characters that I can connect with and it was sweet seeing them finally get together. Also a wedding just isn't complete without the Best Horse there, and Tug fills that role perfectly. ( )
  DrPedro | Jun 7, 2016 |
This book contains nine stories and a fragment. The first story has Halt telling Will about Will's parentage and the little he knows about his family. The second story gives Gilan star billing as he investigates some missing money and a bandit who is plaguing the area. The third story has Will and Alyss teaming up to find a band of Roamers and recover Will's missing dog.

The next story has Will and Halt trying to find some Wreckers before they succeed is grounding more ships. Will is also in the midst of writing his speech for Horace and Evanlyn's wedding and is trying to fit in every big word he has ever heard.

Dinner for Five stars Jenny who wants to prepare a nice dinner for her Gilan but is interrupted by some outlaws who robbed the silversmith and are looking for a place to lay low until the chase passes them by. Jenny, being an excellent cook, makes unconventional use of a leg of lamb.

The next story takes place at Horace and Evanlyn's wedding when Will almost misses his dance with Alyss as he is busy stopping assassins from killing Evanlyn.

The seventh story in the book tells about how Crowley and Halt meet and become friends. It gives some hints about Halt's background.

The Wolf tells the story of an injured wolf and how Will and Tug hunt for him. It also tells what happens when it is time for a Ranger's horse to be retired. I loved the close relationship between Will and Tug.

The final story in the book tells about Will and Alyss's wedding day.

All of the stories were great because they gave more insight into the characters and because they filled some of details that didn't fit into the main stories. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 21, 2015 |
This is definitely one of my favorite Ranger's Apprentice books. It nicely sums up the series with a collection of short stories, and it was really great to meet all of the characters again. ( )
  Shea42 | Oct 19, 2014 |

The secret history of the New York Times bestselling Ranger's Apprentice, with over 5 million copies sold in the U.S. alone!

Unconfirmed accounts of a group of Araluen warriors - tales of adventure, battle, and triumph over evil - have spread for centuries throughout the known world. Most notable is a clan shrouded in mystery, phantom warriors known as the Rangers.

Two names pass the lips of every storyteller: Halt, and his apprentice, Will. They and their comrades in arms are said to have traveled throughout the kingdom and beyond its borders, protecting those who needed it most. If true, these rumors can be only part of the story.

Only now, centuries after these men and women walked the earth, do we have confirmation of their existence. Behold The Lost Stories, Book 11 in the Ranger's Apprentice epic.

Perfect for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, T.H. White’s The Sword in the Stone, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon series, and George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:46 -0400)

In 1896, an archaeological dig unearths an ancient trunk containing manuscripts that confirm the existence of Araluen Rangers Will and Halt and tell of their first meeting and some of their previously unknown exploits.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,849,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible