The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt

The Swerve (edition 2012)

by Stephen Greenblatt

Collections:Your library, BW, X
Rating:**
Tags:renaissance, history, 2012

The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt

English (88)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (90)
I read this one for our Non-Fiction Library Group.

The Swerve is covers Greek and Roman philosophy and more specifically the Roman poet Lucretius who wrote On the Nature of Things about atoms and how they randomly collide and swerve into one another and it is not about Gods but these atoms that is the universe. It was thought that his poem had be lost to the ages until a Papel secretary, Poggio Bracciolini recovered a copy in a German monastery in the 1400's. This set into motion the fanaticism of the church and gave fodder to the inquisitors.

pg 16 - "Curiosity was said by the Church to be a mortal sin. To indulge it was to risk an eternity in hell."

Before Constantine there was religious pluralism under paganism - three faiths living side by side in the spirit of mingled rivalry and absorptive tolerance. After Constantine, Christianity became Rome's official religion. Cyril expanded upon this and directed the attacks on Jews and their expulsion from the city. The governor, Orestes would not oblige and a different tact and Hypatia, a pagan mathematician and astronomer was taken flayed, burned and her ashes scattered. Cyril was eventually sainted and Hypatia death marked the end on intellectuals in Alexandria.

In monasteries, monks were required to carry the rods they were beaten with and constantly repeat Mea culpa.

Lucretian challenge:
*Everything is made of invisible particles
*All particles are in motion in an infinite void
*The universe has no creator or designer
*The swerve is the source of free will
*Nature ceaselessly experiments
These are just a few of his thoughts on humanism.

It was not until 1966 that the list of Prohibited Books was abolished.

pg 252 - "Lucretius' poem restored to atoms their missing context, and the implications-for morality, politics, ethics, and theology-were deeply upsetting."

Greenblatt sets to show how a simple poem of ideas once thought to be lost was once again found and gave birth to shape many more ideas by the likes of Galileo, Freud, Darwin, Einstein and even Thomas Jefferson. The ideas made there way out to learned men all while politics and theology were trying to squash these themes that were contrary to the beliefs of the Christian Church.

If anything this book serves to remind us we have the ability to put thoughts and ideas together. it is up to us to find the balance with our faith and science. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
An engaging book that covers a range of fascinating historical moments and milieus. The central character of Poggio Bracciolini and his discovery of an ancient text by Lucretius serves as a vehicle tracing the rise and fall of cultures and the slow progression to modernity. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  Matthew.Ducmanas | Mar 18, 2016 |
I'm a little annoyed by the way this book was marketed. I expected to get a book talking about how the writing of Lucretius changed the world, but instead it was a nine-chapter biography on Poggio Bracciolini with two chapters thrown in at the end about the effect One the Nature of Things had on the modern world. I don't think we needed THAT much background information about one person in order to appreciate the points Greenblatt finally made at the end.

Nevertheless, it is fascinating to think about how our world became what it is today. It isn't just chance that we know certain things about science and feel certain ways about religion; many people sacrificed their lives because they thought outside of the box. Getting to where we are today took a lot of work. I don't agree with everything Lucretius asserts, and in some ways modern society is worse off than societies of the past, but I am grateful Lucretius changed our lives as much as he did, and that Poggio recognized the poem's importance and put it back into circulation. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
The search for the classics in the Middle Ages. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was an interesting account of the rediscovery of Lucretius and the impact that the circulation of On the Nature of Things has had in our modern world. It was amazing to find that an ancient poet wrote so thoroughly of modern scientific ideas such as atoms, evolution, space-time phenomena and many of the laws of science that we don't think of having been put into words until centuries later...and Lucretius did it in beautifully flowing poetry! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Every page of the book strives to present the Renaissance as an intellectual awakening that triumphs over the oppressive abyss of the Dark Ages. The book pushes the Renaissance as a rebirth of the classical brillance nearly lost during centuries mired in dullness and pain. This invention of modernity relies on a narrative of the good guy defeating the bad guy and thus a glorious transformation. This is dangerous not only because it is inaccurate but more importantly because it subscribes to a progressivist model of history that insists on the onward march of society, a model that allows moderns like us to excuse our crimes and injustices because “at least we’re better than those medievals.”

Now unlike most of those thousands of innocent believing readers, I see the deep problems of such an approach, as have the last dozen generations of historians. History does not fit such cookie-cutter narratives. Having studied medieval culture for nearly two decades, I can instantly recognize the oppressive, dark, ignorant Middle Ages that Greenblatt depicts for 262 pages as just… fiction. It’s fiction worse than Dan Brown, because it masquerades as fact.

The distortions in Greenblatt’s narrative may have slipped past the Pulitzer committee, but they won’t slip by someone with even a basic knowledge of church his­tory. St Jerome, to be sure, is no inconsequential figure, but Greenb­latt focuses most of his attention on Lactantius and Peter Damian. He is more interested in the latter because he reformed the already self­abasing
Benedictine order in the eleventh century, making voluntary self-flag­ellation “a central ascetic practice of the church” and thus accomplishing the thousand year struggle “to secure the triumph of pain seeking” (107). If this is genuinely how Green­blatt understands the significance and nature of the Benedictine order, one can only wonder why Harvard retains him.
added by 2wonderY | editHumanitas, Jeffrey Polet (Sep 3, 2013)

Why Stephen Greenblatt is wrong and why it matters.

Greenblatt's story of the unleashing of the pleasure principle on the European world after the discovery of Lucretius conveys his own passion for discovery, and displays his brilliance as a storyteller. The Swerve is, though, a dazzling retelling of the old humanist myth of the heroic liberation of classical learning from centuries of monastic darkness. The light of Rome fades into gloom, sheep graze in the Forum; then the humanists rebel against the orthodoxies of the church, bring about a great recovery of classical texts and generate a new intellectual dawn. This book makes that story into a great read, but it cannot make it entirely true.
added by 2wonderY | editThe Guardian, Colin Burrow (Dec 23, 2011)

The ideas in “The Swerve” are tucked, cannily, inside a quest narrative. The book relates the story of Poggio Bracciolini, the former apostolic secretary to several popes, who became perhaps the greatest book hunter of the Renaissance. His most significant find, located in a German monastery, was a copy of Lucretius’ “On the Nature of Things,” which had been lost to history for more than a thousand years. Its survival and re-emergence into the world, Mr. Greenblatt suggests, was a kind of secular miracle.

Approaching Lucretius through Bracciolini was an ingenious idea. It allows Mr. Greenblatt to take some worthwhile detours: through the history of book collecting, and paper making, and libraries, and penmanship, and monks and their almost sexual mania for making copies of things.

The details that Mr. Greenblatt supplies throughout “The Swerve” are tangy and exact.

Stephen Greenblattprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ballerini, EduardoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Abigail and Alexa
(Preface) When I was a student, I used to go at the end of the school year to the Yale Coop to see what I could find to read over the summer.
In the winter of 1417, Poggio Bracciolini rode through the wooded hills and valleys of southern Germany toward his distant destination, a monastery reputed to have a cache of old manuscripts.
But the extravagance and bitterness of the charges – in the course of a quarrel over Latin style, Poggio accused the younger humanist Lorenzo Valla of heresy, theft, lying, forgery, cowardice, drunkenness, sexual perversion, and insane vanity – discloses something rotten in the inner lives of these impressively learned individuals. (p. 146)

Winner of the 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Non-Fiction
Winner of the 2011 National Book Award for Non-Fiction

One of the world's most celebrated scholars, Stephen Greenblatt has crafted both an innovative work of history and a thrilling story of discovery, in which one manuscript, plucked from a thousand years of neglect, changed the course of human thought and made possible the world as we know it.

Nearly six hundred years ago, a short, genial, cannily alert man in his late thirties took a very old manuscript off a library shelf, saw with excitement what he had discovered, and ordered that it be copied. That book was the last surviving manuscript of an ancient Roman philosophical epic, On the Nature of Things, by Lucretius—a beautiful poem of the most dangerous ideas: that the universe functioned without the aid of gods, that religious fear was damaging to human life, and that matter was made up of very small particles in eternal motion, colliding and swerving in new directions.

The copying and translation of this ancient book-the greatest discovery of the greatest book-hunter of his age-fueled the Renaissance, inspiring artists such as Botticelli and thinkers such as Giordano Bruno; shaped the thought of Galileo and Freud, Darwin and Einstein; and had a revolutionary influence on writers such as Montaigne and Shakespeare and even Thomas Jefferson. 16 pages full-color illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:43 -0400)

A humanities professor describes the impact had by the translation of the last remaining manuscript of On the Nature of Things by Roman philosopher Lucretius, which fueled the Renaissance and inspired artists, great thinkers and scientists.

342 wanted7 pay2 pay

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,858,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible