Sugar in My Bowl: Real Women Write About…

Sugar in My Bowl: Real Women Write About Real Sex (2011)

by Erica Jong (Editor)

Other authors: Karen Abbott (Contributor), Elisa Albert (Contributor), J. A. K. Andres (Contributor), Susie Bright (Contributor), Susan Cheever (Contributor)24 more, Gail Collins (Contributor), Rosemary Daniell (Contributor), Eve Ensler (Contributor), Erica Jong (Contributor), Molly Jong-Fast (Contributor), Susan Kinsolving (Contributor), Julie Klam (Contributor), Jean Hanff Korelitz (Contributor), Min Jin Lee (Contributor), Ariel Levy (Contributor), Margot Magowan (Contributor), Marisa Acocella Marchetto (Contributor), Daphne Merkin (Contributor), Honor Moore (Contributor), Meghan O'Rourke (Contributor), Anne Roiphe (Contributor), Linda Gray Sexton (Contributor), Liz Smith (Contributor), Jann Turner (Contributor), Barbara Victor (Contributor), Rebecca Walker (Contributor), Jennifer Weiner (Contributor), Fay Weldon (Contributor), Jessica Winter (Contributor)

Recently added byprivate library, etbm2003, jpmariana, jvsdfs, ladykhalia, YaleBookExchange, Mirna974

I got a very strong sense that this book had no real idea what it wanted to be, Some of the pieces were about the writers' best and worst sexual experiences, some were examined writing about sex as a woman, some were coming-of-age stories. It's as if Jong gave out a multiple-choice assignment on the essays (and some are actually short fiction) and then didn't arrange it in any particular order. The pieces feel rushed, too, and very underedited. Which is too bad -- the concept was promising, and I like a lot of the writers.

Standouts were J.A.K. Andres on her six-year-old daughter's new-found relationship with her vagina, a thoughtful essay by Min Jin Lee about writing sex as an Asian woman, and a really excellent piece by Meghan O'Rourke about having to live up to the romance of her parents' marriage. But honestly? That was about it. I'm disappointed. ( )
  lisapeet | Jan 3, 2014 |
Sugar in My Bowl By Erica Jong Collection of essays/short stories written by excellent, top quality women writers. These women range in age by many decades. They write about their sexual experiences that were most meaningful or memorable to them for one reason or another. Some women reach back to their first time, while others regard their spouses, exes, children and parents influence. Each story was like a secret peek inside a womans diary. Easy and enjoyable, just as it should be. ( )
  karenlisa | Sep 12, 2011 |

Walker, RebeccaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weiner, JenniferContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weldon, FayContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winter, JessicaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tired of bein' lonely, tired of bein' blue,
I wished I had some good man, to tell my troubles to
Seems like the whole world's wrong, since my man's been gone
I need a little sugar in my bowl,
I need a little hot dog, on my roll,
I can stand a bit of lovin', oh so bad,
I feel so funny, I feel so sad
-"I Need A Little Sugar In My Bowl", Bessie Smith,1931
for BJG and her brothers when they grow up
Why are we so fascinated with sex?

I need a little sugar in my bowl,
I need a little hot dog, on my roll
I can stand a bit of lovin’, oh so bad,
I feel so funny, I feel so sad
—Bessie Smith

When it comes to sex, what do women want? In this eye-opening and courageous collection, Erica Jong reveals that every woman has her own answer. Susan Cheever talks about the “excruciating hazards of casual sex,” while Gail Collins recounts her Catholic upbringing in Cincinnati and the nuns who passionately forbade her from having “carnal relations.” In “Everything Must Go,” Jennifer Weiner explores how, in love, the body can play just as big a role as the heart. The octogenarians in Karen Abbott’s sharp-eyed piece possess a passion that could give Betty White a run for her money. Molly Jong-Fast reflects on her unconventional upbringing and why a whole generation of young women have rejected “free love” in favor of Bugaboo strollers and Mommy-and-me yoga. Sex, it turns out, can be as fleeting, heavy, mundane, and intense as the rest of life. Indeed, Jong states in her powerful introduction “the truth is—sex is life.”

Contributors

Molly Jong-Fast
Susan Cheever
Ariel Levy
Margot Magowan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

When it comes to sex, what do women want? In this eye-opening collection, Erica Jong reveals that every woman has her own answer. Susan Cheever talks about the "excruciating hazards of casual sex," while Gail Collins recounts her Catholic upbringing in Cincinnati and the nuns who passionately forbade her from having "carnal relations." Jennifer Weiner explores how, in love, the body can play just as big a role as the heart. The octogenarians in Karen Abbott's sharp-eyed piece possess a passion that could give Betty White a run for her money. Molly Jong-Fast reflects on her unconventional upbringing and why a whole generation of young women have rejected "free love" in favor of Bugaboo strollers and Mommy-and-me yoga. Sex, it turns out, can be as fleeting, heavy, mundane, and intense as the rest of life. Indeed, as Jong states in her powerful introduction: "the truth is--sex is life."--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible