Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 323 pages
Rating:*****

Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Ghosts (103)

Holy Crap! Holy Crap! and Holy CRAP!

Creepy as f... umm.. it was creepy, we'll leave it at that. I'm totally hooked, can't wait to see where they go and what happens next. And the tension (not to mention confusion) between Perry and Dex is off the charts! Who the hell is that guy and why is he so firkin strange? Wow... and he's afraid of her?

The only thing I don't like about this story is Creepy Clown Lady... which I'm not supposed to, right? Bravo! Well done! *standing and whistling n stuff* ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
It took me a while to warm up to this book. I had a hard time being in the head of the protagonist. She, Perry Palomino had an outrageous over active imagination that at first drove me crazy. But then it made me laugh, when I got tired of being fed up I saw the craziness that is Perry Palomino. Most female protagonist seem to have an overactive imagination about what's probably happening or what someone might be thinking, but Perry certainly took the cake in my opinion.

Perry Palomino's life isn't going the way she would have desired. And how would she have liked it to have gone? She has no clue, she just want to stop being bored out of her mind. Perry is very insecure, especially where her weight and height is concerned, and she hates her job so much that she's become ill-tempered. Then she meets Declan Foray and sees and opportunity to do something interesting and add some variety to her life, albeit very scary. Perry is instantly mooning over Dex and can't seem to focus around him.

Perry has a wild imagination so when she sees strange occurrences, she just blows it off as her wild imagination. But ever since she was a child she remembers having a lot of imaginary friends which made her parents very nervous for her and still is to this day. Perry met Dex in a so called haunted lighthouse and after a long bout of indecision and trust issues, Perry agrees to partner with him on a Ghost Hunter type web show. Perry is consumed with lust for Dex while at the same time she mistrusts him and the more she learns about him the more she fears him but she can't seem to get over the school girl fantasies she keeps having for him.

Declan Foray is a mystery, he comes across as a split personality kinda dude, (I had no idea how right I was). One minute he's this freakishly flirty guy and the next he is serious freaky (still)adult guy toward Perry. He has a hot girlfriend that he sings her praises one minute and the next he makes her sound like a bitch. Put aside his confounded behaviors, Dex's mysteriousness and obvious issues makes him strangely likable and makes me want to hug him tightly while patting his back and tell him everything will be okay. He seems so damaged and you can tell there is something pretty dark in his past that made him the person he is.

In the end I ended up liking this book a lot, I could see the damage these two characters have so clearly in the writing and feeling I got from the story. They were real people who just happen to be thrown into the mist of some freaky supernatural shit mystery. The scary parts were so creepy and that's good since it is a ghost story. There is so much more within the pages of DarkHouse and I definitely got a mystery vibe from this book. Would love to find out what's really going on and why did Dex and Perry need to meet to solve this mystery? Again, just want to reiterate, "there is some creepy shit taking place in this story".
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
3.5 stars
Lighthouses, why do they alway have so much 'evilness' around them ? This kelp ridden nightmare starts out semi easy- nice girl struggling to make her way through the job nobody wants, especially her. She goes to visit her uncle with her family on the Oregon coast. There while relaxing around a fire at night she takes a walk in the dark to a creepy arse lighthouse and slams her way inside ?!?!??! Right here I started worrying about her mental state, because who the heck in their right mind would do that ? There is that too, something may or may not be up with her mental state, it's complicated. Okay so while exploring this horrendous nightmare of a place she meets a man that will throw her already wishy washy life into a tornado. The two of them could be the most damage people or not, once again it's complicated. It's all complicated and horrible addicting, I felt like I might need medication to keep up with it all. Remember tornado.
I'm already off to book 2- ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
It was ok. A lot of things happen, no explanations are given, and there's not even an ending per se, you're just kinda left with things hanging. I know, I know, yes she signed the contract, but you don't even have a clue as to what they're doing, in these episodes. Are they destroying evil spirits? Are they releasing tormented souls? Are they actually doing anything besides burning down lighthouses? The teenage angst is palpable, although the main characters aren't actually teens. Whilst I can understand wanting to make it all a mystery, there's something to be said for some kind of clarification, somewhere.
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
I stood in a round, white room with only a porthole-shaped window to break up the monotony.

"There's always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she's been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twentysomething, she's still not what you would call 'ordinary'. For one thing, there's her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there's the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show's budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle's haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry's fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,518,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible