Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Authors:Karina Halle
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 323 pages
Rating:*****

Darkhouse by Karina Halle

I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this. But I wasn't disappointed, until I got to the end and realized that it well, was the end.

The one thing that Karina does is draw you in with her writing. An with this book she has you coming back for more because there are so many things that need to be told. Figured out. That is NOT a bad thing though. Though I typically read romance, I think that since this really only hints at mutual attraction it made it a better story. Instead of trying to figure out what the hell is going on plus trying to juggle romantic feelings I was able to focus on the story better. I want to dig deeper and learn more about Perry and Dex. I don't normally do the paranormal/horror type of story because this isn't pretty sweet romantic hearts and flowers paranormal. No this shit is freaky! Like I hated turning my lights off to go to bed last night... I am the type of girl that can't watch horror movies because I will dream about that shit for months! Well Darkhouse gave me that feeling but thank god it didn't happen but this book felt real. That is what I enjoyed so much. It felt like if you believe in the supernatural stuff then there is not one piece of this book that couldn't have happened.

Aside from the spooky stuff going on, this book also had its funny moments too.. Maybe not funny to everyone but nice and sarcastic, off the wall.

I was fucked and I knew it. I had stupidly wandered into some epic rape palace run by meth-addicted hobos and bald men with beards who recently escaped nearby jails and had taken over this place for their torture sessions with hapless young women they found exploring the coast. Even worse, I was going to be the hapless woman who decided to infiltrate their headquarters.

I really liked Perry's character. So far one of my favorite female characters of Karina's. I am not going to go on and on about trying to describe Perry or Dex, plus I think you have to read to really know them and even then you will still have questions! So if you are looking to swap up your reading or get a different more realistic take on the paranormal, then look no further! ( )
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |
I changed my mind. Here is my merged review with Red Fox.

***********************

I actually really really liked this. For sure I'll be continuing the series. Thoughts to come.

***********************

Buddy Read with the awesome Rose sometime during Christmas break!

JOIN USSS. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
Coming across this book giveaway is just so ironic. The night before last I just watched the episode of Supernatural, in which Sam and Dean discover there are novels of their lives being written by a prophet. Anything but normal!
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
It took me a while to warm up to this book. I had a hard time being in the head of the protagonist. She, Perry Palomino had an outrageous over active imagination that at first drove me crazy. But then it made me laugh, when I got tired of being fed up I saw the craziness that is Perry Palomino. Most female protagonist seem to have an overactive imagination about what's probably happening or what someone might be thinking, but Perry certainly took the cake in my opinion.

Perry Palomino's life isn't going the way she would have desired. And how would she have liked it to have gone? She has no clue, she just want to stop being bored out of her mind. Perry is very insecure, especially where her weight and height is concerned, and she hates her job so much that she's become ill-tempered. Then she meets Declan Foray and sees and opportunity to do something interesting and add some variety to her life, albeit very scary. Perry is instantly mooning over Dex and can't seem to focus around him.

Perry has a wild imagination so when she sees strange occurrences, she just blows it off as her wild imagination. But ever since she was a child she remembers having a lot of imaginary friends which made her parents very nervous for her and still is to this day. Perry met Dex in a so called haunted lighthouse and after a long bout of indecision and trust issues, Perry agrees to partner with him on a Ghost Hunter type web show. Perry is consumed with lust for Dex while at the same time she mistrusts him and the more she learns about him the more she fears him but she can't seem to get over the school girl fantasies she keeps having for him.

Declan Foray is a mystery, he comes across as a split personality kinda dude, (I had no idea how right I was). One minute he's this freakishly flirty guy and the next he is serious freaky (still)adult guy toward Perry. He has a hot girlfriend that he sings her praises one minute and the next he makes her sound like a bitch. Put aside his confounded behaviors, Dex's mysteriousness and obvious issues makes him strangely likable and makes me want to hug him tightly while patting his back and tell him everything will be okay. He seems so damaged and you can tell there is something pretty dark in his past that made him the person he is.

In the end I ended up liking this book a lot, I could see the damage these two characters have so clearly in the writing and feeling I got from the story. They were real people who just happen to be thrown into the mist of some freaky supernatural shit mystery. The scary parts were so creepy and that's good since it is a ghost story. There is so much more within the pages of DarkHouse and I definitely got a mystery vibe from this book. Would love to find out what's really going on and why did Dex and Perry need to meet to solve this mystery? Again, just want to reiterate, "there is some creepy shit taking place in this story".
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
I stood in a round, white room with only a porthole-shaped window to break up the monotony.

"There's always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she's been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twentysomething, she's still not what you would call 'ordinary'. For one thing, there's her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there's the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show's budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle's haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry's fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,662,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible