Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Authors:Karina Halle
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 323 pages
Rating:*****

Darkhouse by Karina Halle

I'm a big horror fan & although I had heard this book was scary, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've discovered that a lot of readers frighten more easily than I (not a bad thing, just the way it is). I was pleasantly surprised to find that this story was pretty spooky. Character development was good and the plot moved along at a good pace. I received this for free during a promotion on Amazon, but I enjoyed it enough that I'll very likely purchase further entries is the series. I definitely recommend this is you enjoy a good ghost story. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 10, 2014 |
Perry is 22 years old and bored. She hates her job, she hates her butt. You get the picture. She is living in the shadow of her younger sister who is model tall and model thin. But when the family goes to the beach side home of her Uncle Al, she decides to investigate the lighthouse that has fascinated her since childhood. And when she does all hell breaks loose. Could she have made contact with a spirit?

This is a very fun first book in the series. Much of the time is spent introducing the characters and having the characters learn a lot about themselves. Perry seems a bit immature but I liked her anyway. She has overcome a rough time when she was a teen so I cut her some slack for improving her situation. She also has a wicked sense of humor. I liked Dex, the mysterious ghost hunter/videographer, who encourages Perry to continue her investigation of the lighthouse. The jury is still out on Perry's family. I plan to read the others in the series. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Dec 1, 2014 |
I thought I might not like this book at first. I am really glad I was wrong.

Perry is the most ordinary main character I've come across. Ordinary because she isn't some kick-ass, tall or other species character. It is refreshing in a way. She is insecure, she doesn't have very high opinion of herself, and yet she ends up as a very brave and proud person in the end. That was one of the things I liked about her. The other was the humour. I know this is supposed to be a horror story (it still is), but occasionally she would comment something and I had to laugh. Even her insecurities were targeted.

I thought I might not like Dex either. I was wrong about that too. He is still a mystery though. They just started with this ghost-hunting and this book promises good stories. I just hope it won't become one of those series where once great story takes a back seat to some love triangle or something similar.

Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Awesome! I'll review it at some point. Gonna start book two as soon as I can. ^_^ ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this. But I wasn't disappointed, until I got to the end and realized that it well, was the end.

The one thing that Karina does is draw you in with her writing. An with this book she has you coming back for more because there are so many things that need to be told. Figured out. That is NOT a bad thing though. Though I typically read romance, I think that since this really only hints at mutual attraction it made it a better story. Instead of trying to figure out what the hell is going on plus trying to juggle romantic feelings I was able to focus on the story better. I want to dig deeper and learn more about Perry and Dex. I don't normally do the paranormal/horror type of story because this isn't pretty sweet romantic hearts and flowers paranormal. No this shit is freaky! Like I hated turning my lights off to go to bed last night... I am the type of girl that can't watch horror movies because I will dream about that shit for months! Well Darkhouse gave me that feeling but thank god it didn't happen but this book felt real. That is what I enjoyed so much. It felt like if you believe in the supernatural stuff then there is not one piece of this book that couldn't have happened.

Aside from the spooky stuff going on, this book also had its funny moments too.. Maybe not funny to everyone but nice and sarcastic, off the wall.

I was fucked and I knew it. I had stupidly wandered into some epic rape palace run by meth-addicted hobos and bald men with beards who recently escaped nearby jails and had taken over this place for their torture sessions with hapless young women they found exploring the coast. Even worse, I was going to be the hapless woman who decided to infiltrate their headquarters.

I really liked Perry's character. So far one of my favorite female characters of Karina's. I am not going to go on and on about trying to describe Perry or Dex, plus I think you have to read to really know them and even then you will still have questions! So if you are looking to swap up your reading or get a different more realistic take on the paranormal, then look no further! ( )
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |
I stood in a round, white room with only a porthole-shaped window to break up the monotony.

"There's always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she's been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twentysomething, she's still not what you would call 'ordinary'. For one thing, there's her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there's the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show's budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle's haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry's fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible