Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 323 pages
Rating:*****

Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Ghosts (103)

I thought I might not like this book at first. I am really glad I was wrong.

Perry is the most ordinary main character I've come across. Ordinary because she isn't some kick-ass, tall or other species character. It is refreshing in a way. She is insecure, she doesn't have very high opinion of herself, and yet she ends up as a very brave and proud person in the end. That was one of the things I liked about her. The other was the humour. I know this is supposed to be a horror story (it still is), but occasionally she would comment something and I had to laugh. Even her insecurities were targeted.

I thought I might not like Dex either. I was wrong about that too. He is still a mystery though. They just started with this ghost-hunting and this book promises good stories. I just hope it won't become one of those series where once great story takes a back seat to some love triangle or something similar.

Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
It was ok. A lot of things happen, no explanations are given, and there's not even an ending per se, you're just kinda left with things hanging. I know, I know, yes she signed the contract, but you don't even have a clue as to what they're doing, in these episodes. Are they destroying evil spirits? Are they releasing tormented souls? Are they actually doing anything besides burning down lighthouses? The teenage angst is palpable, although the main characters aren't actually teens. Whilst I can understand wanting to make it all a mystery, there's something to be said for some kind of clarification, somewhere.
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
Como no lo habia empezado antes!! Hasta ahora , terrorifico ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Yep, there are some editorial issues in this book, the author addresses them on her website. However, it didn't detract from the fact that this was a suspenseful, page-turner. I'm on book #3 and not only do the edits get better, the story does too. I'm hooked, and it's rare I get hooked on a series. :) ( )
  ClarissaJohal | Apr 25, 2015 |
I stood in a round, white room with only a porthole-shaped window to break up the monotony.

"There's always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she's been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twentysomething, she's still not what you would call 'ordinary'. For one thing, there's her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there's the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show's budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle's haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry's fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,227,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible