Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 323 pages
Rating:*****

Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Ghosts (104)

I thought I might not like this book at first. I am really glad I was wrong.

Perry is the most ordinary main character I've come across. Ordinary because she isn't some kick-ass, tall or other species character. It is refreshing in a way. She is insecure, she doesn't have very high opinion of herself, and yet she ends up as a very brave and proud person in the end. That was one of the things I liked about her. The other was the humour. I know this is supposed to be a horror story (it still is), but occasionally she would comment something and I had to laugh. Even her insecurities were targeted.

I thought I might not like Dex either. I was wrong about that too. He is still a mystery though. They just started with this ghost-hunting and this book promises good stories. I just hope it won't become one of those series where once great story takes a back seat to some love triangle or something similar.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I thought I might not like this book at first. I am really glad I was wrong.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
This author and this world has become an obsession. I read her latest release Veiled first. It was a first book in a series so I felt comfortable starting there. It was a 5 star book for me. In that book there were characters that had already had their stories in previous series. Dex and Perry story was told in 9 book series and another couples was told in a 2 book series. Once I finished Veiled I've been back tracking through the older books/series. I read the two books in the Devil series in order but in this series I've jumped all over - starting in the middle and reading to the end and now starting the first book. Reviewing a series like this on book by book isnt easy as its a continuing story through the whole series even really continuing into Veiled. These books are filled with scary things along with great characters that if you read them the way your supposed to you learn things little by little through the books that all come together in the last book Dust to Dust. I can say that even going my unconventional route of reading the three series I was just as obsessed reading the first book even though I knew how it all ended. This author has created a mind blowing world that I am very late in the game getting to know, but as we readers know its never to late to enjoy a good book and series.

The three series I mentioned are heavy in the paranormal world and some are very intense and scary. Is there romance - In this series, Dex and Perry takes a while (many books) to come to a head. The attraction is there and there are supernatural forces both trying to get them together and keep them apart (later in the series) but the end result is so worth the wait. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
It took me a while to warm up to this book. I had a hard time being in the head of the protagonist. She, Perry Palomino had an outrageous over active imagination that at first drove me crazy. But then it made me laugh, when I got tired of being fed up I saw the craziness that is Perry Palomino. Most female protagonist seem to have an overactive imagination about what's probably happening or what someone might be thinking, but Perry certainly took the cake in my opinion.

Perry Palomino's life isn't going the way she would have desired. And how would she have liked it to have gone? She has no clue, she just want to stop being bored out of her mind. Perry is very insecure, especially where her weight and height is concerned, and she hates her job so much that she's become ill-tempered. Then she meets Declan Foray and sees and opportunity to do something interesting and add some variety to her life, albeit very scary. Perry is instantly mooning over Dex and can't seem to focus around him.

Perry has a wild imagination so when she sees strange occurrences, she just blows it off as her wild imagination. But ever since she was a child she remembers having a lot of imaginary friends which made her parents very nervous for her and still is to this day. Perry met Dex in a so called haunted lighthouse and after a long bout of indecision and trust issues, Perry agrees to partner with him on a Ghost Hunter type web show. Perry is consumed with lust for Dex while at the same time she mistrusts him and the more she learns about him the more she fears him but she can't seem to get over the school girl fantasies she keeps having for him.

Declan Foray is a mystery, he comes across as a split personality kinda dude, (I had no idea how right I was). One minute he's this freakishly flirty guy and the next he is serious freaky (still)adult guy toward Perry. He has a hot girlfriend that he sings her praises one minute and the next he makes her sound like a bitch. Put aside his confounded behaviors, Dex's mysteriousness and obvious issues makes him strangely likable and makes me want to hug him tightly while patting his back and tell him everything will be okay. He seems so damaged and you can tell there is something pretty dark in his past that made him the person he is.

In the end I ended up liking this book a lot, I could see the damage these two characters have so clearly in the writing and feeling I got from the story. They were real people who just happen to be thrown into the mist of some freaky supernatural shit mystery. The scary parts were so creepy and that's good since it is a ghost story. There is so much more within the pages of DarkHouse and I definitely got a mystery vibe from this book. Would love to find out what's really going on and why did Dex and Perry need to meet to solve this mystery? Again, just want to reiterate, "there is some creepy shit taking place in this story".
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
This book on the whole wasn't something I would normally choose, but I can see a lot of potential in the series as a whole. I agree with what I've read about the scary parts being dragged on so long and confusingly that they end up not being scary. Unfortunately that is how every other scene is as well... Even the mundane stuff like taking a break at work turns into a bunch of navel-gazing and I get bored before we are brought back to the action. The heroine herself also made me cringe so many times, but characters who wear their heart on their sleeve do that to me. I'd like to see her gain more confidence and be able to deal with her family, sister and even Dex in a more symbiotic way. It was an interesting character study though, and I couldn't help but wonder if this was the author putting herself as the main character at times. There wasn't really any resolution to how Perry was "seeing" what she was, or anything that happened in the lighthouse "darkhouse". That was disappointing. I was expecting there to be some kind of exploration into that near the end, but nope. Maybe later? So... clean up the writing, tighten up the scary bits, and make Dex less psycho... MUCH less psycho. He's not even appealing at this point. I wanted to tell Perry to run for the hills or try to get him committed, but definitely not start a relationship with him. Creepy.

TLDR: While the book could have used a lot of editing, there was enough there to make me want to see if it's worth continuing. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I stood in a round, white room with only a porthole-shaped window to break up the monotony.

"There's always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she's been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twentysomething, she's still not what you would call 'ordinary'. For one thing, there's her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there's the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show's budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle's haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry's fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems."--Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible