The Nine Lives of Chloe King: The Fallen;…

The Nine Lives of Chloe King: The Fallen; The Stolen; The Chosen

by Liz Braswell

Series: Nine Lives of Chloe King (Omnibus 1-3)

The Fallen:

Teenager Chloe King is living a normal life in San Francisco with her mom until one day she survives a 200-foot fall without injury. From that moment on, she discovers more and more strange abilities, such as retractable claws and feline grace and speed. Chloe doesn't really understand what's happening to her, but eventually events and new acquaintances start to reveal the truth.

This was an enjoyable, quick YA read. I imagine I'll carry on with the rest of them some day since I'm somewhat intrigued about what's going on. The story does ask for a lot of suspension of disbelief, however, and I suspect many readers would find it hard to pass that hurdle. Some of these are to do with the paranormal goings on, but honestly a lot of them were just realism tics, too: Chloe and her friends seem way too grown up for just-turned-sixteen, both in their own behavior (drinking and smoking that seems casual, responsible and for its own sake rather than new or rebellious or thrill-seeking) and in the behavior of adults toward them (Chloe appears to have free rein to roam the city without telling her mother where she's going or when she'll be back). ~Feb 2017 ( )
  lycomayflower | Feb 20, 2017 |
Engaging YA novel about a 16 yr. Old girl who discovers she has a strange connection to cats. ( )
  niquetteb | Mar 20, 2016 |
Started December 3d, 2013.
Easy read, but well written, and believable. YA with a girl just before her 16th birthday and getting more than a mature change.
This being a trilogy, I already finished the first book, The Fallen.
This was made in a TV-Series which I already saw and sadly only lasted one season and is so far not available on DVD nor Blu-ray.
As usual, some things where changed, but the TV-series ended on a cliff-hanger and that was not deserved, they should at least written a closing episode.
Not surprisingly, no sex-scenes so far, but the feelings and relationships feel real and (again) very believable.
Just finished the second part/book, The Stolen. Refreshing ending, but with a dark cliffhanger to make me read the last and third book.
Great developments, Chloe making difficult choices for her future and the future of the Mai and even the Order of the Tenth Blade.
Hope for a peaceful time. The story gives closure, neatly solving all loose ends, while leaving a few things open.
It also shows how much value friends, family and openly speaking the truth instead of having secrets is.
Strong female character, in Chloe as well as Kim and in a lesser degree Amy.
And it is sad that the TV-Series ended so sudden, not filming all of the 3 books.
Highly recommended.
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Young teen discovers she's something special and has a mysterious past. Not quite a pig-boy story, but you get the idea. I'm not the target audience for this book (I'm thinking girls in their early teens), but I enjoyed it enough to finish. Didn't hurt that it was set in San Francisco and the fantasy part of it was a race of cat-humans. Quite predictable, but sometimes that's OK. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 20, 2015 |
Pages: 254
Reading Level: 5.6

Chloe King thought she was just a normal girl 16 year old girl, that is until she fell over 200 feet from a tower window, and survived. From then on Chloe discovers her cat-like abilities and a curse. I would use this book for teenage girl readers to get involved in. It would be great as an independent read or a literature circle for girls.
1 vote TamaraBronson | Apr 21, 2013 |

Liz Braswellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thomson, CeliaAuthormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For John Ordover and Dave Mack, good friends and the sine qua nons of my career and marriage
He never tired or lost her trail.
Liz Braswell writing as Celia Thomson.

Chloe King was a normal sixteen-year-old girl until the day she fell from San Francisco's highest tower and died. But then she woke up. Now Chloe's life is anything but normal. Luckily, she still has eight lives to go.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible