The Future of Us by Jay Asher

The Future of Us (edition 2012)

by Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler

Member:chazzard
Title:The Future of Us
Authors:Jay Asher
Other authors:Carolyn Mackler
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 366 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:1990s, friendship, relationships, high school, internet, facebook, time travel, young adult, fiction, scs

The Future of Us by Jay Asher (Author)

English (162)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (166)
When I first started reading this book I thought it was gonna be boring, boy was I wrong! As soon as i picked it up I could not put it down! I was always wanting to know what they would find to when they went back onto the computer the next day. I was wondering what would happen to their relationship in the end. What if something like that could happen to us? We would be able to see our futures, whould you change yours or keep it? ( )
  bethanyrenee13 | May 13, 2016 |
This Young Adult novel is constructed on an intriguingly charming premise—what if a 16 year-old girl logged on to the Internet (via AOL) in 1996 and stumbled upon Facebook, circa 2011? And what if she wasn’t quite pleased with what she discovered about her future self? And what if she shared her discovery with her next-door neighbor/best friend/inevitable future romantic partner and they simply didn’t know what to do about their newfound ability to peer into the future?

Told over the course of six consecutive days in a dual narrative format, with Emma and Josh (the young couple) alternating chapters, The Future of Us is a clever idea for a story in search of an actual plot. As one would expect from a YA novel, witty exchanges abound, friends date and break up, Emma moons over the hot jock (who—surprise!—turns out to be a jerk), Josh worries over the super-beautiful student council president, and there’s lots of talk of sex and curfews and skateboarding and bonfires and all of the other typical adolescent angst…all of which pretty much marginalizes the magical premise upon which the story is reputedly built. The idea of teenagers being able to literally see their futures is fraught with all kinds of creative narrative potential, but the plot devolves into Emma’s numerous attempts to alter her apparently unhappy future—all to no avail—until she comes to the rather pedestrian conclusion (once Facebook disappears from her Internet connection) that it’s pointless to worry about the future because what’s important is the present.

On a metaphorical level, the story implies that taking deliberate action to shape the future is futile—and if you can’t see the future, that means you don’t have to worry about it. And I’m not quite sure that’s a very healthy or empowering message to send to Young Adults. ( )
  jimrgill | Mar 30, 2016 |
I have to partly blame nostalgia for how I feel about this book. As the description says, this book is set in 1996 when households with the internet were much fewer than they are today. In 1996, my grandparents house was one of those homes and it was with the help of free AOL hours and Yahoo Messenger that I kept in touch with my friends and how I learned to type very quickly. As soon as I finished this book, I couldn't stop gushing about how nostalgic is made me. Though it also shows me how much has really changed. Email was the thing when I was in middle and high school. Now it's text messages because most people have a cell phone.

Fortunately, I like this book for more than the trip down memory lane. It gives an interesting perspective on this thing most people have and feel the need to check frequently--Facebook. Early in the book Emma and Josh are reading whiny posts about life and what they made for dinner. Their response: "Um, why are people posting this one the internet?" This is often a question I wonder, yet am guilty of as well.

Because this book is set in '96, it's very low-tech by today's standards. The whole premise is that Emma getting her first desktop computer and happens upon this wacky site called Facebook that shows her the future. Also, only one person has a cell phone, and she happens to be the most popular girl in school.

Personally, I enjoyed this novel quite a bit. It's well written and covers many of the problems faced in high school. Intermixed with the technology aspect are elements of romance, friendship, family, and all that other stuff to deal with in high school and life in general. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
This is so far one of the best books I read. I could not put it down until I was done reading it. !!! love it ! ( )
  Sandra_Berglund | Mar 10, 2016 |
I finished this book a few weeks ago but forgot to upload it A cute and heartwarming coming of age story that reminds us of the good ol' days when kids actually went outside to play, and how technology and social media have affected our lives. This is a collaboration between Jay Asher, the author of one of my favorite books - Thirteen Reasons Why, and Carolyn Mackler, author of Love and Other Four Letter Words ( )
  VavaViolet | Feb 17, 2016 |

Asher, JayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mackler, CarolynAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
In 1996 less than half of all American high school students had ever used the Internet.
Facebook would not be invented until several years in the future.
Emma & Josh are about to log on to their futures.
Jonas, Miles, and Leif Rideout
JoanMarie and Isaiah Asher
Our past, present, and future
I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him.
    Josh Templeton
    Helped my son put together a model of the solar system today.
    May 8 at 10:26pm * Like * Comment
         Terry Fernandez We did that last year. Made me feel nostalgic for Pluto. That was always my favorite
         planet.
         May 9 at 8:07am * Like
         Josh Templeton Poor Pluto! :-(
         May 9 at 9:13am * Like

I flinch. "What the hell happens to Pluto?"

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on — and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be.
Josh and Emma are about to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long — up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet.

Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates — it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right — and wrong — in the present.

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet. Emma just got her first computer and Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future. Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Future of Us by Jay Asher was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,974,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible