The Future of Us by Jay Asher

The Future of Us (edition 2012)

by Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler

Member:chazzard
Title:The Future of Us
Authors:Jay Asher
Other authors:Carolyn Mackler
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 366 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:1990s, friendship, relationships, high school, internet, facebook, time travel, young adult, fiction, scs

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

English (164)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All (169)
The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler is a young adult book about two neighbours and best friends, Emma Nelson and Josh Templeton. The two high school students grow up together, had a fallout, and then were reunited as friends through the discovery of the application Facebook while installing an AOL program onto Emma’s new computer.

The problem is, Facebook does not yet exist in their time and its discovery not only foretells both of their futures, but also immediately affects their decision-making and actions as they purposefully discover knowledge about their futures based on random photos, friend lists, and obscure status lines on Facebook.

The premise of the story is good and the narrative, easily readable except an explanation of how or why Emma and Josh gain access to the knowledge of their futures through Facebook is unfortunately never revealed. Instead it happens quite illogically.

To read more, please visit THE BIBLIOTAPH'S CLOSET: http://zaraalexis.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/the-future-of-us-a-review/ ( )
  ZaraD.Garcia-Alvarez | Jun 6, 2017 |
You can read my full review on my blog - The Kiwi Kritique.

I did like this book, but it's nothing that I'd read again and I know for sure the character's will be well forgotten once I'm done writing this review. It's not the best book I've ever read, but that's just my opinion. Someone else may totally love it...

After all, I can't judge for everyone.
  tabbyisnotacat | Apr 29, 2017 |
Cute. Funny. Interesting. Enjoyable read. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Mar 25, 2017 |
I found the concept of this to be incredibly cool--teens in 1996 install AOL and suddenly have access to their future Facebooks! It's a fast read, too, which was a good thing. If this had happened to geeks in 1996, it would have been a much deeper story--how did this peek of the future happen? Why? How can we use this information? Instead, it happened to two popular kids who own/have access to cars, have actively dated numerous people, go to parties, etc, so the novel focuses on teenage angst and doesn't go beyond their selfish viewpoints. When they do cause major future ramifications including BLOTTING OUT THE EXISTENCE OF FUTURE CHILDREN, it's barely dwelt on at all. I found the whole book frustrating... probably because these are kids I wouldn't have related to at all in 1996, when I was 16, and at 37 I still am exasperated by their limited viewpoints. ( )
  ladycato | Mar 14, 2017 |
This book had been difficult for me to read not because of the two points of views but the horrible dialogue. Jay Ahser & Carolyn messed up a good book.I really wanted to just give up on this book bujt I don't give up on books just to see if they are good. Do Not Read Unless Really Desperate ( )
  christopher.kyle1706 | Dec 8, 2016 |

Asher, Jayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mackler, Carolynmain authorall editionsconfirmed
In 1996 less than half of all American high school students had ever used the Internet.
Facebook would not be invented until several years in the future.
Emma & Josh are about to log on to their futures.
Jonas, Miles, and Leif Rideout
JoanMarie and Isaiah Asher
Our past, present, and future
I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him.
    Josh Templeton
    Helped my son put together a model of the solar system today.
    May 8 at 10:26pm * Like * Comment
         Terry Fernandez We did that last year. Made me feel nostalgic for Pluto. That was always my favorite
         planet.
         May 9 at 8:07am * Like
         Josh Templeton Poor Pluto! :-(
         May 9 at 9:13am * Like

I flinch. "What the hell happens to Pluto?"

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on — and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be.
Josh and Emma are about to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long — up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet.

Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates — it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right — and wrong — in the present.

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet. Emma just got her first computer and Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future. Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jay Asher's book The Future of Us was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,178,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible