The Future of Us by Jay Asher

The Future of Us (edition 2012)

by Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler

Member:chazzard
Title:The Future of Us
Authors:Jay Asher
Other authors:Carolyn Mackler
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 366 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:1990s, friendship, relationships, high school, internet, facebook, time travel, young adult, fiction, scs

The Future of Us by Jay Asher (Author)

English (148)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (150)
Great premise. Jay knows how to write books that make great book discussions! ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
Warning: May contain spoilers

So like the summary states, this books is centered around two people, Josh and Emma. They have been neighbors, and best friends, for as long as they can remember. Until they weren't.
It has been 6 months since Josh and Emma stopped talking after a misunderstanding on his part, but after receiving a new computer from her dad, Emma is shocked to see Josh at her door holding an AOL CD.

After a very awkward conversation , Emma thanks Josh and later that night signs on to her new computer, but is confused when a website called Facebook pops up, upon closer exception finds a photo of someone who looks just like her. Only older.
Emma is left scratching her head and trying to figure out why someone would be playing a prank on her, because that's all it could be. Her first thought is Josh, he gave her the CD so obviously it was him, but after inviting him over and seeing the look of shock on his face she later comes to the conclusion that its not. And that she could some how be looking at the future. Josh takes some convincing though and it isn't until he see's his very own facebook page.

Both of them start obsessing over it, Emma over the fact that she's not happy in the future and Josh over trying to get Emma to stop looking for ways to change it as the little things not only cause ripples in her future, but also his. As they spend time focusing on the future they start losing track on what's going on in the now, because everything is changing.

My thoughts? I loved it. Its the first book by Jay Asher I have read but think I might start Thirteen Reasons Why soon. I loved how original it was and how people were mocking facebook. (the characters were confused why in the future people would spend all their time saying what they've had for dinner on the internet). I loved the characters and the authenticity of it all. The friendships, the love, everything else just felt really real. I definitely enjoyed it. It was just a really fun read :) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
I really wanted to love this book. I found the concept fabulous -- kid gets one of those free AOL CDs in the mail, installs and uses ridiculously slow dial-up to create an email account, then suddenly stumbles onto her future self's Facebook page. As someone who was a teenager during the height of AOL's popularity, who would wait three minutes for the modem to connect only to have that connection dropped five minutes later when a parent would pick the phone up off the receiver, this was my youth.

That's the problem -- this is my youth. Yet I'm thirty-three, and this is YA fiction. Do today's teenagers have any interest in what technology was like nearly twenty years ago? Does a modem noise give them a warm fuzzy feeling?

To be fair, the book is fairly well-written. The alternating of the narration between the two main characters every chapter mixes the story up, and it has a nice, natural flow to it. But I don't think it's particularly adapted to its target audience. ( )
  francophoney | Jul 21, 2014 |
I saw Jay Asher's name on this book & figured I had to have it, having enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why so much. And the description sounded kind of intriguing: teenagers Josh & Emma obtain an AOL disc for the first time, dial up to the internet (this being set in the early 90's), and by some freak of nature, happen upon Facebook 15 years in their future. So basically they get a peek into their futures, and based on that, whether it be good or bad, they start looking at their present selves trying to either change things or force along something that's destined to happen.

Upon starting this book, there were lots of 90's references thrown at the reader. It was nice to revisit history, but the references seemed very forced -- almost like name-dropping, and it was annoying. This eased up a bit as the story progressed, but the writing itself didn't improve all that much. I know this is a young adult novel, but truly, I expected better.

Overall, the story was interesting & the novel grew on me as I kept going, but the sub-par writing turned me off & prevented me from giving this a higher rating. ( )
  indygo88 | Mar 23, 2014 |
Resounding.... meh. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

Asher, JayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mackler, CarolynAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
In 1996 less than half of all American high school students had ever used the Internet.
Facebook would not be invented until several years in the future.
Emma & Josh are about to log on to their futures.
Jonas, Miles, and Leif Rideout
JoanMarie and Isaiah Asher
Our past, present, and future
I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him.
    Josh Templeton
    Helped my son put together a model of the solar system today.
    May 8 at 10:26pm * Like * Comment
         Terry Fernandez We did that last year. Made me feel nostalgic for Pluto. That was always my favorite
         planet.
         May 9 at 8:07am * Like
         Josh Templeton Poor Pluto! :-(
         May 9 at 9:13am * Like

I flinch. "What the hell happens to Pluto?"

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on — and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be.
Josh and Emma are about to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long — up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet.

Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates — it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right — and wrong — in the present.

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet. Emma just got her first computer and Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future. Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Future of Us by Jay Asher was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,898,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible