The future of us by Jay Asher

The future of us (edition 2012)

by Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler, Ineke Lenting

Member:PGCM
Title:The future of us
Authors:Jay Asher
Other authors:Carolyn Mackler, Ineke Lenting
Info:Rotterdam Lemniscaat cop. 2012
Rating:***

The Future of Us by Jay Asher (Author)

English (146)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (148)
I saw Jay Asher's name on this book & figured I had to have it, having enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why so much. And the description sounded kind of intriguing: teenagers Josh & Emma obtain an AOL disc for the first time, dial up to the internet (this being set in the early 90's), and by some freak of nature, happen upon Facebook 15 years in their future. So basically they get a peek into their futures, and based on that, whether it be good or bad, they start looking at their present selves trying to either change things or force along something that's destined to happen.

Upon starting this book, there were lots of 90's references thrown at the reader. It was nice to revisit history, but the references seemed very forced -- almost like name-dropping, and it was annoying. This eased up a bit as the story progressed, but the writing itself didn't improve all that much. I know this is a young adult novel, but truly, I expected better.

Overall, the story was interesting & the novel grew on me as I kept going, but the sub-par writing turned me off & prevented me from giving this a higher rating. ( )
  indygo88 | Mar 23, 2014 |
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
4.5/5

Great book, I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

Full review on my blog www.the-book-tower.blogspot.co.uk ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

Asher, JayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mackler, CarolynAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
In 1996 less than half of all American high school students had ever used the Internet.
Facebook would not be invented until several years in the future.
Emma & Josh are about to log on to their futures.
I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him.
    Josh Templeton
    Helped my son put together a model of the solar system today.
    May 8 at 10:26pm * Like * Comment
         Terry Fernandez We did that last year. Made me feel nostalgic for Pluto. That was always my favorite
         planet.
         May 9 at 8:07am * Like
         Josh Templeton Poor Pluto! :-(
         May 9 at 9:13am * Like

I flinch. "What the hell happens to Pluto?"

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on — and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be.
Josh and Emma are about to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long — up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet.

Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates — it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right — and wrong — in the present.

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet. Emma just got her first computer and Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future. Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Future of Us by Jay Asher was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible