The future of us by Jay Asher

The future of us (edition 2012)

by Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler, Ineke Lenting

Member:PGCM
Title:The future of us
Authors:Jay Asher
Other authors:Carolyn Mackler, Ineke Lenting
Info:Rotterdam Lemniscaat cop. 2012
Rating:***

The Future of Us by Jay Asher (Author)

English (150)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (152)
It's 1996, you're sitting in front of your brand new computer and have just received 100 free hours online from AOL. You log on to find yourself on your Facebook page 15 years in the future and realize that every little action you do during the day changes your Facebook update feed and how you are in the future. What do you do? That's what Emma and Josh are about to find out, being faced with this very problem.

A quick and enjoyable read that brings back memories of what it was like growing up in the 90's (AOL, Green Day, etc...). Also quite interesting insight on how we would have reacted back then to people being so open on the web, as they are today. The story is written from both Emma and Josh's points of view which is interesting as you get to see both sides of the story. I definitely recommend this book. ( )
  Marie113 | Mar 31, 2015 |
The Future of Us is a fun and entertaining read. There are many students who can relate to the relationships in the book and the way the characters try to control every aspect of their lives.
This would be a good book for high school students that enjoy YA literature. There are some questionable sexual moments that some parents would object to. ( )
  LFerda | Mar 19, 2015 |
Like most other readers who picked up this book I only bought it because of the profound effect that 'Thirteen Reasons Why' had on me. I have been waiting for Mr. Asher to write another novel and I was so happy when this one came out. It did not live up to his previous book, I think only because nothing can or may ever will. Also, it could be because this isn't an "issues" book. Take it as you will.

I enjoyed this one, it was s light read and moved at a reasonably fast pace. I got annoyed with Emma a lot because she acted so childish through most of the book. I just really didn't like her, it almost made me stop reading. Josh, however, I did enjoy, I wish that Emma would have gotten herself together sooner.

Yes, this is a YA book, yes, they are teenagers. I just think Emma took that to a whole new level of annoyance. Other than my dislike for her, I enjoyed the book and continue to be a fan. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Great premise. Jay knows how to write books that make great book discussions! ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
Warning: May contain spoilers

So like the summary states, this books is centered around two people, Josh and Emma. They have been neighbors, and best friends, for as long as they can remember. Until they weren't.
It has been 6 months since Josh and Emma stopped talking after a misunderstanding on his part, but after receiving a new computer from her dad, Emma is shocked to see Josh at her door holding an AOL CD.

After a very awkward conversation , Emma thanks Josh and later that night signs on to her new computer, but is confused when a website called Facebook pops up, upon closer exception finds a photo of someone who looks just like her. Only older.
Emma is left scratching her head and trying to figure out why someone would be playing a prank on her, because that's all it could be. Her first thought is Josh, he gave her the CD so obviously it was him, but after inviting him over and seeing the look of shock on his face she later comes to the conclusion that its not. And that she could some how be looking at the future. Josh takes some convincing though and it isn't until he see's his very own facebook page.

Both of them start obsessing over it, Emma over the fact that she's not happy in the future and Josh over trying to get Emma to stop looking for ways to change it as the little things not only cause ripples in her future, but also his. As they spend time focusing on the future they start losing track on what's going on in the now, because everything is changing.

My thoughts? I loved it. Its the first book by Jay Asher I have read but think I might start Thirteen Reasons Why soon. I loved how original it was and how people were mocking facebook. (the characters were confused why in the future people would spend all their time saying what they've had for dinner on the internet). I loved the characters and the authenticity of it all. The friendships, the love, everything else just felt really real. I definitely enjoyed it. It was just a really fun read :) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |

Asher, JayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mackler, CarolynAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
In 1996 less than half of all American high school students had ever used the Internet.
Facebook would not be invented until several years in the future.
Emma & Josh are about to log on to their futures.
Jonas, Miles, and Leif Rideout
JoanMarie and Isaiah Asher
Our past, present, and future
I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him.
    Josh Templeton
    Helped my son put together a model of the solar system today.
    May 8 at 10:26pm * Like * Comment
         Terry Fernandez We did that last year. Made me feel nostalgic for Pluto. That was always my favorite
         planet.
         May 9 at 8:07am * Like
         Josh Templeton Poor Pluto! :-(
         May 9 at 9:13am * Like

I flinch. "What the hell happens to Pluto?"

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on — and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be.
Josh and Emma are about to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long — up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet.

Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates — it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right — and wrong — in the present.

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet. Emma just got her first computer and Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future. Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Future of Us by Jay Asher was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,726,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible