Tia Isa Wants a Car (Junior Library Guild…

Tia Isa Wants a Car (Junior Library Guild Selection (Candlewick Press))

by Meg Medina

I like this book for a few reasons, but disliked it for a few. The big idea of this story is to show students how they can help their family, or friends. The little girl helps her Tia Isa to save money to buy a car. It shows that even children can make a difference in the world. It shows how hard life could really be for people who immigrate to America. I did not enjoy this book too much because the plot was a little dull. She just saved money and then they bought a car. The illustrations were different than a lot of books I've seen. They looked like pictures drawn with colored pencils with not much depth. The faces of the characters did not have much emotion or detail to them, but this might have been what the illustrator was trying to accomplish. Lastly, I like the writing of this story. It incorporates Spanish words into the text. This gives students exposure to words, and also puts students who know the Spanish words in a comfort zone. For example, the word ridiculo was used. Using context clues, the reader could figure out the meaning of this word if he or she does not know it. I liked the book for that reason. ( )
  ndange1 | Apr 15, 2015 |
I did not really like this book. I do not believe that the plot was very realistic. Although it had a nice message, that children can help adults earn money, I do not believe that the girl could help her aunt buy a car from feeding cats and stacking oranges. I did like the writing in this book. Each page started with “Tia Isa wants a car” which added emphasis to how badly she wanted a car. Lastly, I liked how this story was a window into the life of a girl who lives with her aunt and uncle in America but sends money home to her mother, father and extended family in Mexico. Overall, the main idea of this story was to show how hard work can pay off. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Oct 27, 2014 |
Charming, warm story about two sisters who work hard to save enough money to buy a used car that they can use to drive the family to the beach. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Tia Isa wants a car but she does not have enough money. Her niece finds many ways to make money and give it to her aunt. Together the two have enough to buy an old, big car, a car big enough to hold the entire family when they are all reunited again in the United States.

“Tia Isa wants a car.

She tells me after work when she still smells of lemon pies from the bakery.

She is turning the jump rope that’s tied to the fence and I am already up to twenty.

‘Un pisicorre,’ she says, ‘to take us to the beach!’

‘Really? The beach’ I can’t catch my breath.

No one goes far from my block in the summer. But a beach has foamy water that reaches all the places I cannot go.

‘Si, really. Let’s save.’ ( )
  debnance | Nov 26, 2011 |

A little girl pitches in to help her tía save up for a big old car - and take the whole family to the beach - in a story told with warmth and sweetness.

Tía Isa wants a car. A shiny green car the same color as the ocean, with wings like a swooping bird. A car to take the whole family to the beach. But saving is hard when everything goes into two piles - one for here and one for Helping Money, so that family members who live far away might join them someday. While Tía Isa saves, her niece does odd jobs for neighbors so she can add her earnings to the stack. But even with her help, will they ever have enough? Meg Medina’s simple, genuine story about keeping in mind those who are far away is written in lovely, lyrical prose and brought to life through Claudio Muñoz’s charming characters.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:44 -0400)

Tia Isa and her niece try to save enough money to buy a car to take the whole family to the beach.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,748,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible