Citadel by Kate Mosse

Authors:Kate Mosse
Info:Orion (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 692 Pages
Tags:World War 2 Fiction

Citadel by Kate Mosse

English (13)  Dutch (2)  All languages (15)
3.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
This is the last book in a trilogy, and even though I have read the other two I cannot remember them, so for me this was a stand-alone. It took nearly 100 pages to really get into this book and understand all the sub-plots, but I loved it! I liked most of the main characters, especially the women who stood up and risked everything to fight against the evil of WWII, but it was Sandrine who was the real heroine. Her story was poignant and heart-felt as she grew from naive teenager to Resistance fighter. Rich in historical fact, full of treachery and courage, and brimming with danger, this was a terrific read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Book was an ARC copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Received through GoodReads. Thanks for the book!

I didn't realize until I got this book in the mail that it was the third in a series. And while it can stand alone, the reader definitely gets more out of the story if they've had some exposure to the first pieces of the story. I'm glad I found the miniseries that was made out of the first book. While obviously not as good as the book, I'm sure, at least I knew some of the significant names leading into this book. So keep that in mind when thinking on reading this book...

The greatest strength this book possesses is its story. While slow in a few places (the early transitions to 4th century France is a prime example), the many threads of plot come together in a cohesive whole that tells a moving and fast-paced story. I especially enjoyed the story of this Resistance cell of women starting up and fighting against the Nazis and French collaborators. The supernatural stuff was interesting, but to me, the meat of the story was the WWII threads. I was emotionally invested (think tears and wailing when I reached the climax of the book!) and cursed more than once that I had to go to work 'cause I wanted to keep reading, dang it!

The characterization for the most part was pretty solid. There were some examples of static characters and sudden leaps of maturity, but for the most part I was able to connect with most of our main characters. It took me awhile, but I fell in love with Sandrine. She grew into a strong woman whose not afraid to do what needs to be done in the fight against the Nazis. There were a few decisions that I had to raise my eyebrow at that she made, but overall, I felt she was a fairly strong, competent, and sympathetic character.

The romance-y stuff was stronger in the latter half of the book. In the beginning, I felt Sandrine and Raoul fell in love way too quickly. They had almost no build up; it was like lightening stuck and presto, instant love. The latter half of the book, though, I felt the romance was a lot more realistic and emotional. Probably because it had a bit of time to build... The dire circumstances our two found themselves in helped as well in raising the stakes for our couple and investing the audience even more in wanting to know of our two make it out alive or not. And while there was a good portion of the book where Sandrine and Raoul weren't in the same scenes, they had enough of a love connection that I felt the romance anyway.

This book was a lovely look at a little known series of events in 1944 Nazi-occupied France. I felt with the characters most of the time and fell in love with the romance in the latter half of the book. The story and emotions throughout were astounding and enthralling. I'm sure I missed a meal or something like that more than once because I wanted to keep reading. If you loved the first two books in the series, definitely check this one out. And even if you're only interested in WWII resistance stories, still read it. It's a lovely book. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 12, 2016 |
As another reviewer commented "finally finished". This book was too long! I have now read the whole of Kate Mosse's trilogy (plus an extra bit) and this was slightly disappointing,simply because it turned into a hard slog. The problem came from trying to merge the factually based resistance story with the fantasy element, whilst retaining plausibility. The 1944 characters came alive and their fates were quite moving.
I am always keen to read about the Catharsis etc, but in this case this aspect of the book detracted rather than enhanced the whole.
I look forward to Kate Mosse's next book.
By the way, does anyone know how to get rid of the listing for this book as the work of a certain model? ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
I read a lot of books. Amongst those with the strongest sense of place, the ones that linger in my imagination, are the Languedoc trilogy by Kate Mosse. ‘Citadel’, the third novel in the series, is set in ad342 and 1942 during World War Two. Unusually with a trilogy, you don’t have to have read the other two books in order to enjoy this one. Certainly it is some years since I read ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘Sepulchre’ and the details are hazy, each book stands on its own.
I enjoyed this book immensely. The story centres on a small group of women who fight against the Nazi regime and who, by the very fact that they are women, are able to slip unnoticed along the night-time streets of occupied Carcassonne. The Prologue describes ‘the woman known as Sophie’ and the reader is left to wonder, which of the women in the story is ‘Sophie’?
I must point out that the story is slow to get going, I had to be patient, but I trusted Mosse [below]. It did make me question whether my attention span is shortening, I hope not. If it is I must read longer novels to re-stretch my brain.
A note in the 2014 edition, which I read, explains that the story was inspired by a plaque in a village near Carcassonne, commemorating the ‘martyrs of Baudrigues’. Days before the Languedoc was freed by its own people, as the Nazis were fleeing, 19 prisoners were killed, two women are to this day still unidentified. These facts started Mosse wondering who those women were: that was her starting point for Citadel.
It is clear that both time strands are set in the same place, the countryside of the Languedoc, the forests, the mountains, its people and language, and the weather, anchors the reader firmly in southern France. In ad342, Arinius is looking for a hiding place. You know not what for, only that it must be safe for ‘centuries’. “He had no particular destination in mind, only that he had to find somewhere distinctive and sheltered, somewhere where the pattern of the ridges and crests might retain their shape for centuries to come… Forests might be cut down or burn or drowned when a river bursts its banks. Fire and word and flood. Only the mountains stood firm.”
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 30, 2015 |

Kate Mosseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, FintyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oorlog. Passie. Moed.
Ter nagedachtenis aan de twee onbekende vrouwen
die op 19 augustus 1944 in Baudrigues zijn vermoord.
Ze ziet eerst de lichamen.
'Wij zijn, ik ben, jij bent
gedreven door lafheid of lef
degenen die terugkeren
naar deze plek
gewapend met een mes, een camera
een boek met mytische verhalen
waarin wij
niet worden genoemd.'

Uit: 'Diving Into the Wreck'
Adrienne Rich (1973)

Set during World War II in the far south of France, this is a powerful, action-packed mystery that reveals the secrets of the resistance under Nazi occupation. While war blazed in the trenches at the front, back at home a different battle is waged, full of clandestine bravery, treachery and secrets.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,772,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible