Of Light and Darkness: The Vampire's…

Of Light and Darkness: The Vampire's Daughter (edition 2011)

by Shayne Leighton

208515,329 (4)None
Member:luciefuentes
Title:Of Light and Darkness: The Vampire's Daughter
Authors:Shayne Leighton
Info:Decadent Publishing Company, LLC (2011), Paperback, 292 pages
Rating:***

The Vampire's Daughter by Shayne Leighton

deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |
Reviewed by: April
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

A very unique spin on the widely done Young Adult/Paranormal/Vamp genre, Of Lights and Darkness held my attention from beginning to end and never wavered in between.

Shayne Leighton creates a lively and vivid world within the pages of this story, interwoven with dynamic characters and an intriguing story line, I was held captivated on many levels the entire way through. Set in the area of Prague, there is a little known city called the Occult City where vampires, elves, witches and all facets of the paranormal reside – segregated from humans. As an infant, Charlotte is discovered by Valek, a vampire and doctor of the Occult City, abandoned in the dirty streets of Prague. Valek takes Charlotte in – breaking one of the most stringent laws of the city by harboring a human – and nurtures her, raising her with love and fatherly adoration. As Charlotte grows older, she goes out to hunt humans to feed Valek and is a main staple in the city and is well loved. Both find their relationship changing, however, as Charlotte grows into womanhood. Innocence is replaced by deeper feelings and when lives become endangered, there is an added intensity that adds an entirely new dimension to the story.

I truly loved the writing style of Shayne Leighton in Of Light and Darkness. The way in which she brings the characters to life is fairly extraordinary. I found myself very attached to both Valek and Charlotte. Unlike many YA/Vamp/Paranormal stories on the market today, this one is not portrayed as the romantic/glorified version of otherworldly beings. There is a bit more darkness and realism, if you will, packed within this story. Valek is kind and very doting to his Lottie (Charlotte), he has tried to shelter her from seeing his monster side when he feeds and goes into his death sleep. He is a man with morals, compassion and is rather nurturing and unselfish. Charlotte is a very endearing and likable character. She is filled with spunk, bravery, and loyalty. The chemistry between the two main characters is very nearly perfect. I know some may be a bit turned off by the idea of a more intimate relationship forming between a father-type figure and the child/young woman that he raised and nurtured. However the way in which Ms. Leighton approaches and writes this aspect of the story is very well done, as well as adds a uniqueness of plot that I have not previously read in other novels.

In addition to the romance aspect in Of Light and Darkness, there is an excellent element of suspense that kept me engaged throughout. I found myself absorbed not only in the story itself and its many characters, but my emotions were also strongly engaged as I found my heart racing in intensity and worries engulf me throughout. With strong descriptions all throughout, readers will quickly and easily find themselves hooked on Of Light and Darkness, as I was. The ending was the perfect mix of satisfaction, yet openness to make me anxious for the next book in the series.

For lovers of YA and/or Paranormal stories, I highly recommend this one. I anxiously look forward to not only reading the next book in this series, but additional works by this author as well. ( )
  RtB | Jun 15, 2013 |
**This novel was given to The Book Hookup but did not influence the review**

Celeste’s review: A vampire found a human baby and then raised her as his own because there was something about her that was so pure it spoke to him….that appealed to me straight away….such a different concept! I was fascinated with the idea of a human girl living in a magical world. However, Charlotte, the human girl, is now an adult and has feelings for her vampire, Valek. eek. I tried to get past this, but I just had such a hard time with the concept of a father figure as a romantic interest.

My plan was to try and put the background of their relationship out of my mind and focus on the rest of the story. In this novel, the vampires of the world are the target of a genocide. They are the traditional vampires we are familiar with, but the rest of the society and secondary characters were written so well. The magical elves in power want to wipe every last vampire out and rule the world on their own. At the same time the next heir to power, elf Aiden, wants Charlotte for himself. So now the couple Charlotte and Valek are in even more danger, which is the story that is told here.

Ms. Leighton has a fabulous imagination, I truly loved all the characters in this world, I felt as though I could picture them perfectly. Every time a vampire’s hand was described as a claw, I could just visualize the cold, dead skin. I loved Mr. Trinozka and Edwin, although both creepy, they were both creatively fascinting at the same time.

The fight to save both Charlotte and the vampires was intense and quite a few times I wasn’t sure who was going to be killed and who would survive. It definitely kept my attention and I wanted to find out what would happen. There seemed to be several parts of the story that were unclear, slight inconsistencies, but did not take away from the story and something a great editor would catch. All in all it was an entertaining read and Shayne Leighton definiteley has a fantastic imagination. ( )
  celeste.harrington | Apr 30, 2013 |
Dynamic and enjoyable to read. This novel mixes magical creatures and humans. It takes the reader into a modern world while making you travel elsewhere ...

We meet engaging characters hidden behind the masks of monsters and cruel villains hidden behind the ones of adorable and nice fellows. The good and the evil are competing, but not always in the most likely camps. The codes are then upset. This is what makes this story interesting and entertaining... Love triangle, betrayal, jalousy, thirst of power and true love...

Perhaps there is a lack of an ending scene more tragic with a more pronounced suspense that will have spicy up this supernatural romance. But the reader enters into an enjoyable adventure without getting bored, that's the main thing.
I'm curious to see how will the second volume evolve ...

Lucie
http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/2012/11/the-vampires-daughter-by-shayne-le... ( )
  luciefuentes | Nov 8, 2012 |
This is a very unusual Vampire story and I loved it. The story was non-stop from beginning to end and I am really excited for book 2.

Valek Ruzik is a vampire. He is wondering around Prague and goes along a park when he hears noises behind a bush. Upon investigating the noise, he finds a baby girl that has been abandoned. He is worried she has been forgotten, but there is nobody around. The beautiful girl has drawn him in and he cannot leave her there and so he takes her home.

Skip forward 17 years and Charlotte is grown. They have been living happily together in a routine. Charlotte would go hunting for Valek, as he is not allowed to leave the boundaries of his Occult or City. The laws of the Regime forbid anybody with magical blood to leave the boundaries. As Charlotte is not of magical blood, she is the hunter. The past couple of times she went hunting, she has been attacked by a Lycan. What has changed that she is now in so much danger?

Charlotte sees one of her childhood friends, an Elf named Aiden. She has had a crush on him for a while and he seems to have feelings for her also. Evangeline is a Witch and likes Valek, Charlotte comes home from hunting to find them in a compromising position. Charlotte is devastated and the way she thinks of Valek is changing from father figure to lover.

The Regime has declared war on all Vampires and is out to capture and destroy them all. They claim they are darkness and therefore evil. Valek and Charlotte are on the run and find a long-time friend of Valek’s to stay with in hiding.

Can Valek and Charlotte’s love last and what type of love is it? Aiden isn’t what he seems and wants Charlotte for himself. What will happen with the Regime? Are the Vampire’s able to live in peace? What is Charlotte’s fate?

This is a Vampire story like no other. The magical components as well as vampires and lycan’s all contribute into an awesome story. Human girl falls for Vampire, but it is a very different story from Twilight. It is very well written and has such an easy flow that you cannot put it down. The characters are beautifully created and have their own little attitudes, that they could all really become main characters. There is so much potential for them all in future books. I can’t wait for number 2 and highly recommend this to all that enjoys a vampire story. ( )
  ktu35114 | Oct 27, 2012 |
For Frantisek Mach, my muse, my inspiration, and own personal Valek. And for my mother, who never stopped believing in magic, and never
stopped believing in me.
I, being of mind, body, and death was fully aware journeying beyond the borders of my Occult city was strictly against The Code of the Central European Magic Regime. I missed the human city beyond all reason—missed it enough even to break the law. There was no stopping me as I flew to my escape.

When one human stands before an army of impossible obstacles, the likelihood of overcoming them in this coming-of-age modern fairytale may result in war between light and darkness.

Abandoned as an infant in Prague, naive and strong-willed Charlotte Ruzikova was raised by one of the last Vampires left alive. As a human, she knows no other home than the one nestled deep in the woods of Eastern Europe, where Witches drew spells of enchantment, Phasers threw tea parties, and Elves are the closest in kin. Charlotte has lived her life in the dark with her Guardian, content to having him to herself and reveling in his attention, until she's realizes she wants more...

Resident medical doctor and Vampire, Valek Ruzik fears the day his ward would come of age and blossom into a fine woman, and he is forced to confront his own motives as time is of the essence once his past catches up to him, and their lives become endangered...

As genocide and war threatens their secret society, the dictator in power is ready to wipe out Valek's race, but Charlotte will not allow that to happen. Fighting for the only one she's ever loved and truly believed in, she will do whatever it takes to save their love...before the sun comes up and light takes over.

Shayne Leighton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible