Cemetery Girl by David Bell

Cemetery Girl (edition 2011)

by David Bell

Collections:Your library, Read and Own, Kindle Edition
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery Crime Fiction & Thrillers, Kindle, Read in 2012

Cemetery Girl by David Bell

Wish I wouldn't have read this one. I am one of those people that hate not finishing a book so of course I started it and was stuck with it. I put this one down a lot, it didn't hook me in at all. Grim storyline, bleak and unlikeable characters, so much negativity. Unbelievable storyline and characters, this one just didn't do it with me. ( )
  gagirl101 | Dec 28, 2013 |
Tom and Abby Stuart thought they had everything: a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a sweet, beautiful twelve-year-old daughter named Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, hoping that Caitlin would be found safe. But the tragedy ultimately ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage.

Four years later, Caitlin is found alive - dirty and disheveled yet eerily calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. And she is fundamentally changed by the ordeal.

When the police arrest a suspect connected to Caitlin's disappearance, she refuses to testify against him. So the Stuarts are faced with a devastating choice: Let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened can possibly prepare him for what he is about to discover.

In my opinion, this book was absolutely excellent! The story was extremely intriguing and captured my attention right from the beginning. It was a poignant book for me to read as well - fast-paced and well-written, holding my attention throughout the entire book. I give David Bell's debut novel a definite A+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Nov 2, 2013 |
This is a very disturbing story about a man whose daughter is kidnapped at age 12 but he gets her back at age 16, a very different child.
Even though I don't have children, this story is disturbing. I don't like the main character and how he handles the situations he is put in. But then, I'm not sure how I would handle them either. I don't like his wife. I hate to see how the relationship of the two evolve around the case. And, the ending leaves a lot to be desired. It may be that this story is too realistic and not enough enjoyment. ( )
  FMRox | Oct 1, 2013 |
Cemetery Girl opens with Caitlin's father Tom explaining that his daugher disappeared four years ago at the tender age of twelve. He goes on to recount a day when she was just six, and lied directly to his face, without so much as a twitch or expression of guilt.

Tom wonders about the circumstances of Caitlin's disappearance six years later and wonders if she could have run away. Tom's wife Abby believes her daughter is dead and makes arrangements to hold a memorial in her memory. Their daughter's disappearance has devastated their marriage, with Abby seeking solace in her church.

It is at this time, that Caitlin is found dirty and dishevelled, walking beside a deserted road and taken swiftly to hospital.

The majority of Cemetery Girl is around Caitlin's return and Tom trying to find out where she's been for the past 4 years. The reaction of her parents couldn't be more different and as a reader it made for interesting reading.

What made this book even more fascinating for me was the recent case in America of Ariel Castro's abduction of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight. In finding out about Caitlin, I was also thinking of these three women in real life and searching for answers.

Unfortunately I found that while the pace and suspense was great throughout the novel, the ending was somewhat of a let down for me. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Aug 8, 2013 |
Caitlin is 12 years old when she disappears without a trace, leaving her family to worry and blame themselves without answers for the next 4 years. After the father gets a tip from a stripper that she had seen Caitlin in the strip club with an older man, a profile revealed in the newspaper leads to Caitlin's sudden release from her captor. However, rather than returning as the loving, naive tween girl they lost, the new Caitlin hates her parents and only wants to return to her captor, as she is in love with him. Based on similar stories of young girls taken who later develop Stalkholm Syndrome, this novel explores her parents' shared disbelief and inability to understand their teen daughter's trauma reaction. It was somewhat painful to watch as Caitlin's parents fumbled and misunderstood Caitlin for the entire second half of the book. I enjoyed the first half, prior to her return, as the suspense was more interesting. However, I have to say this novel haunted me while I was reading it, so overall, it was pretty spooky and fairly entertaining. ( )
  voracious | Jul 26, 2013 |
Let me tell you something about my daughter.

Every truth has its price.

Tom and Abby Stuart had everything — a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage.

Four years later, Caitlin is found alive — dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to her disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice — let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

Four years after Tom and Abby's 12-year-old daughter vanishes, she is found alive but strangely calm. When the teen refuses to testify against the man connected to her disappearance, Tom decides to investigate the traumatizing case on his own. Nothing can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:23 -0400)

"Tom and Abby Stuart had everything: a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage. Four years later, Caitlin is found alive--dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to the disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice: Let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible