Cemetery Girl by David Bell

Cemetery Girl (edition 2011)

by David Bell

Collections:Your library, Read and Own, Kindle Edition
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery Crime Fiction & Thrillers, Kindle, Read in 2012

Cemetery Girl by David Bell

I had read readers' warnings about unlikable characters in this book but I liked the plot of a returned kidnap victim so I plowed ahead anyway. There are a number of very critical and well developed characters in "Cemetery Girl" (CG), and as expected I didn't like a single one. The girl, her father, mother, the father's brother, the minister, the cop, the abductor - I wasn't pulling for a single one; I didn't care what happened to any of them. Unfortunately, my feelings toward them significantly diminished my enjoyment of the book, but not my appreciation. CG is very well written and the plot is very interesting. I even considered following up and reading memoirs written by recent survivors of similar events, e.g., the Elizabeth Smart book. But by the time I finished CG I had enough. I may read Bell again - he has written three subsequent books and the themes sound remarkably similar to those of CG - but it won't be for quite a while if at all.

As I read the book I was struck by the sense that he really has it right - he knows exactly how a relationship could develop between victim and abductor and the dialogue sounded very authentic to my non-expert ears. Throughout the story, there was always a sense of gloom and foreboding. There was a lot of ways the story could end but none of them would restore everything back to normal. I had even constructed in my mind at just short of the half way point an ending which I felt was very likely, perhaps too convenient but nevertheless a potential climax that could finally gladden the reader's heart. But I was kidding myself. I finally realized that Bell had crafted a very consistent, very punch-to-the-gut story line that wasn't going to end with Lassie coming home. Well, not exactly........ ( )
  maneekuhi | Oct 12, 2014 |
I think this book could have stood some serious editing. It was way too long and repetitive with little payoff. I found it hard to like or root for any of the characters and the ending was way too simplistic. ( )
  huntersun9 | Jul 6, 2014 |
Wish I wouldn't have read this one. I am one of those people that hate not finishing a book so of course I started it and was stuck with it. I put this one down a lot, it didn't hook me in at all. Grim storyline, bleak and unlikeable characters, so much negativity. Unbelievable storyline and characters, this one just didn't do it with me. ( )
  gagirl101 | Dec 28, 2013 |
Tom and Abby Stuart thought they had everything: a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a sweet, beautiful twelve-year-old daughter named Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, hoping that Caitlin would be found safe. But the tragedy ultimately ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage.

Four years later, Caitlin is found alive - dirty and disheveled yet eerily calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. And she is fundamentally changed by the ordeal.

When the police arrest a suspect connected to Caitlin's disappearance, she refuses to testify against him. So the Stuarts are faced with a devastating choice: Let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened can possibly prepare him for what he is about to discover.

In my opinion, this book was absolutely excellent! The story was extremely intriguing and captured my attention right from the beginning. It was a poignant book for me to read as well - fast-paced and well-written, holding my attention throughout the entire book. I give David Bell's debut novel a definite A+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Nov 2, 2013 |
This is a very disturbing story about a man whose daughter is kidnapped at age 12 but he gets her back at age 16, a very different child.
Even though I don't have children, this story is disturbing. I don't like the main character and how he handles the situations he is put in. But then, I'm not sure how I would handle them either. I don't like his wife. I hate to see how the relationship of the two evolve around the case. And, the ending leaves a lot to be desired. It may be that this story is too realistic and not enough enjoyment. ( )
  FMRox | Oct 1, 2013 |
Let me tell you something about my daughter.

Every truth has its price.

Tom and Abby Stuart had everything — a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage.

Four years later, Caitlin is found alive — dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to her disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice — let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

Four years after Tom and Abby's 12-year-old daughter vanishes, she is found alive but strangely calm. When the teen refuses to testify against the man connected to her disappearance, Tom decides to investigate the traumatizing case on his own. Nothing can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:23 -0400)

"Tom and Abby Stuart had everything: a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage. Four years later, Caitlin is found alive--dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to the disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice: Let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible