Cemetery Girl by David Bell

Cemetery Girl (edition 2011)

by David Bell

Collections:Your library, Read and Own, Kindle Edition
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery Crime Fiction & Thrillers, Kindle, Read in 2012

Cemetery Girl by David Bell

On and on...just couldn't finish it. ( )
  annwieland | Aug 4, 2015 |
This is a psychological suspense novel with some twists that I didn't see coming. The story is told from the father's viewpoint after his 12-year-old daughter is kidnapped while walking the dog. Although most of the characters are well-developed, none of them are likeable. But I have found in the past that some of the most enjoyable novels have unlikeable characters. It was hard for me to understand the father's attitude but, after all, he was telling the story so his emotions and thoughts were what he was feeling, thinking, and expressing. Some of the scenes just didn't seem realistic to me but who knows how a person would react to a certain situation until actually facing it. Overall, this was a good novel and I'm glad I read it. 3 1/2 Stars. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Jul 9, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I was very surprised by the ending. I went on to purchase 3 of this authors other books if that has any indication of how much I liked this one haha! ( )
  HollyRae | Jun 10, 2015 |
Cemetery Girl by David Bell starts off with an explosion of emotional pull... Tom & Abby have lost their little girl Caitlin and fear the worst as their search for their daughter (and closure) wears on. Four years as she is still missing. Then a break in the case and Caitlin shows up. Silent and detached. She gives no indication of what happened or where she has been, but Tom feels he knows. No longer searching for Caitlin, Tom becomes obsessed with uncovering the truth behind his missing daughters last four years. The question is- will Tom's obsession with the truth help him find peace or drive him insane?

I was sucked into this book immediately. The story was haunting and just like Tom became obsessed with the answers, so did I. I turned each page just waiting to hear the next morsel of information about Caitlin and her disappearance. Instantly I was drawn to Tom- his hunger for the truth was compelling.. and just as instantaneously, I couldn't stand his wife Abby. I didn't like what she represented and I felt like she wasn't a mother. Abby gave up and I couldn't come to terms with that. The entire family dynamic was interesting because this novel placed the reader smack in the middle of mom and dad- you had to choose a side. Reading Cemetery Girl and not picking a side (at least a little bit!) is impossible. Bell also developed Caitlin in an interesting way- she was a precarious kid and then returned home as a sullen teenager. Is it because of what happened to her or because she is a teenager? We aren't exactly sure.

The overall story line was haunting. The entire idea of your child going missing is terrifying... but after reading this, the prospect of that child returning is ALSO scary. What happened in those years you missed with your child, do you ever really want to know, will your child ever be the same? Those questions arose in Cemetery Girl and it certainly gave me pause.
Bell constructed a haunting tale that kept me mesmerized I did not want to put the book down, but there were moments when I was also sick with pain for the characters. Cemetery Girl deals with a tough subject in a page turning and compelling fashion. I highly recommend this book.
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
I had read readers' warnings about unlikable characters in this book but I liked the plot of a returned kidnap victim so I plowed ahead anyway. There are a number of very critical and well developed characters in "Cemetery Girl" (CG), and as expected I didn't like a single one. The girl, her father, mother, the father's brother, the minister, the cop, the abductor - I wasn't pulling for a single one; I didn't care what happened to any of them. Unfortunately, my feelings toward them significantly diminished my enjoyment of the book, but not my appreciation. CG is very well written and the plot is very interesting. I even considered following up and reading memoirs written by recent survivors of similar events, e.g., the Elizabeth Smart book. But by the time I finished CG I had enough. I may read Bell again - he has written three subsequent books and the themes sound remarkably similar to those of CG - but it won't be for quite a while if at all.

As I read the book I was struck by the sense that he really has it right - he knows exactly how a relationship could develop between victim and abductor and the dialogue sounded very authentic to my non-expert ears. Throughout the story, there was always a sense of gloom and foreboding. There was a lot of ways the story could end but none of them would restore everything back to normal. I had even constructed in my mind at just short of the half way point an ending which I felt was very likely, perhaps too convenient but nevertheless a potential climax that could finally gladden the reader's heart. But I was kidding myself. I finally realized that Bell had crafted a very consistent, very punch-to-the-gut story line that wasn't going to end with Lassie coming home. Well, not exactly........ ( )
  maneekuhi | Oct 12, 2014 |
Let me tell you something about my daughter.

Every truth has its price.

Tom and Abby Stuart had everything — a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage.

Four years later, Caitlin is found alive — dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to her disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice — let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

Four years after Tom and Abby's 12-year-old daughter vanishes, she is found alive but strangely calm. When the teen refuses to testify against the man connected to her disappearance, Tom decides to investigate the traumatizing case on his own. Nothing can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

"Tom and Abby Stuart had everything: a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage. Four years later, Caitlin is found alive--dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to the disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice: Let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,995,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible