Cemetery Girl by David Bell

Cemetery Girl (edition 2011)

by David Bell

Collections:Your library, Read and Own, Kindle Edition
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery Crime Fiction & Thrillers, Kindle, Read in 2012

Cemetery Girl by David Bell

The story has a good premise. It was a quick read. I just could not find any of the characters like able. The mother is only concerned with religion, the father who started off great in the beginning, really turned into a jerk after he was reunited with his daughter. The daughter was sullen and basically flat. No life given to the victim of a kidnapping. She was the least interesting character. I would rather read about Frosty's life. ( )
  jhadsell | Mar 23, 2016 |
Our children always leave us. It is especially hard when it is a girl that leaves home or worse gets married, so that they in essence now belong to someone else too. It is even harder when they leave home unexpectedly and not of their own accord.
Caitlin was twelve when she disappeared, presumably kidnapped. Her parents were so sure she would never have run away. The police tried, but nothing ever came of it. The parents searched high and low, but after four years not only did they take for granted they would never see Caitlin, but the stresses their fragile relationship had gone through cracked and Abby moved out leaving Tom. He couldn’t leave just in case, you know, she came back. Her bedroom was the same as she left it.
On the eve of the memorial service Abby has planned, a lead surfaces from an unlikely source: a local stripper saw Caitlin in the club with a man six months ago. News headlines, police involvement and the girl’s age—she is after all now sixteen—all encourage the kidnapper to turn Caitlin lose and she is picked up wandering the streets. The tension that Bell builds in the story up until this point are high-strung, taut, but tempered somewhat by our knowledge that Caitlin is coming home, after all the author tells us this on the cover blurb.
Similar to Emma Donoghue’s “Room,” a recent novel featuring abduction, the book now takes us on the second journey. Since Caitlin refuses to discuss anything that has happened to her in the years she was away, and will not testify against a man she professes to still want to be with, the homecoming is postponed. Tom makes it his personal mission to find out what has happened to his little girl, but will he be prepared to face the reality that is waiting for him?
“Cemetery Girl” is a parent’s worst nightmare, one steeped in reality in today’s world. It is altogether disturbing, brilliantly engaging, and a must-read for thriller fans.
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
On and on...just couldn't finish it. ( )
  annwieland | Aug 4, 2015 |
This is a psychological suspense novel with some twists that I didn't see coming. The story is told from the father's viewpoint after his 12-year-old daughter is kidnapped while walking the dog. Although most of the characters are well-developed, none of them are likeable. But I have found in the past that some of the most enjoyable novels have unlikeable characters. It was hard for me to understand the father's attitude but, after all, he was telling the story so his emotions and thoughts were what he was feeling, thinking, and expressing. Some of the scenes just didn't seem realistic to me but who knows how a person would react to a certain situation until actually facing it. Overall, this was a good novel and I'm glad I read it. 3 1/2 Stars. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Jul 9, 2015 |
Let me tell you something about my daughter.

Every truth has its price.

Tom and Abby Stuart had everything — a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage.

Four years later, Caitlin is found alive — dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to her disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice — let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

Four years after Tom and Abby's 12-year-old daughter vanishes, she is found alive but strangely calm. When the teen refuses to testify against the man connected to her disappearance, Tom decides to investigate the traumatizing case on his own. Nothing can prepare him for what he is about to discover.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

"Tom and Abby Stuart had everything: a perfect marriage, successful careers, and a beautiful twelve-year-old daughter, Caitlin. Then one day Caitlin vanished without a trace. For a while they grasped at every false hope and followed every empty lead, but the tragedy ended up changing their lives, overwhelming them with guilt and dread, and shattering their marriage. Four years later, Caitlin is found alive--dirty and disheveled yet preternaturally calm. She won't discuss where she was or what happened. Then the police arrest a suspect connected to the disappearance, but Caitlin refuses to testify, leaving the Stuarts with a choice: Let the man who may be responsible for destroying their lives walk away, or take matters into their own hands. And when Tom decides to try to uncover the truth for himself, he finds that nothing that has happened yet can prepare him for what he is about to discover"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,806,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible