The Food of Spain by Claudia Roden

The Food of Spain (2012)

by Claudia Roden

Other authors: Jason Lowe (Photographer)

Alice gave me this
  susanaberth | Aug 7, 2015 |
This is a big decorative cook book, lots of fun to read or just browse through, very informative about Spanish and Catalan food, filled with detailed information about culinary history and specialty ingredients, wines, traditions, festivals. The recipe section is preceded by a lengthy series of essays on the various regions of Spain, pointing out unique features and typical dishes. The illustrations are split between food pictures and pictures of Spain, photographed beautifully by Jason Lowe but frustratingly not captioned.

The education provided was paramount for me. The recipes are frequently daunting. The author is very accommodating and inventive with substitutions for difficult ingredients and suggestions for adapting techniques to American kitchens. I did try a few of the recipes and a couple of the easy ones have become standbys for me. One of these is the potato omelet, which Ms. Roden says is difficult. It's now a breakfast staple.

Ms. Roden is an enthusiast about adding alcohol of various kinds to many if not most dishes. Wine, sherry, brandy, and rum are ubiquitous, with even ouzo making an appearance, There are too many of these recipes to make this a useful cookbook for me, but it looks great on my coffee table. ( )
2 vote anthonywillard | Jul 11, 2013 |
A beautiful and useful addition to any cookbook shelf (it's on my wishlist now), The Food of Spain covers Spanish cuisine in detail. It opens with chapters on how Spain's history and geography influenced the cuisine of its various regions, but recipes aren't neglected, either.

I tried two recipes from this book, a Castilian spinach and chickpea soup, and samfaina, a Catalonian dish similar to a ratatouille, but with more garlic. Both choices were influenced by the produce I had on hand, and by the fact that it's been too hot to try something more elaborate. They were both delicious.

There are a few dishes that might be difficult to reproduce (quail and woodcock aren't staples in any supermarket I visit), but most of the recipes call for ordinary ingredients that are readily available. A few other recipes I plan to photocopy and try later include Meatballs in Almond Sauce, Duck with Pears and one of the seafood paellas. ( )
2 vote 4fish | Aug 9, 2011 |
Roden’s ambitious ‘Food of Spain’ is a success

Roden, Claudiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowe, JasonPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Meerman, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061969621, Hardcover)

In The Food of Spain, Claudia Roden, the James Beard award-winning author of the classics A Book of Middle Eastern Food and The Book of Jewish Food, and one of our foremost authorities on Mediterranean, North African, and Italian cooking, brings her incomparable authenticity, vision, and immense knowledge to bear in this cookbook on the cuisines of Spain.

New York Times bestselling cookbook author Claudia Roden believes that through food a cook can reconstruct an entire world. And in her classic A Book of Middle Eastern Food–eight hundred recipes long, a treasure trove of folk tales, proverbs, stories, poetry, and local history–that's just what she did. Historian and critic Simon Schama has said of her that "Claudia Roden is no more a simple cookbook writer than Marcel Proust was a biscuit baker." The Book of Jewish Food, another classic, is equally magnificent in its span, a cookbook that is also a history of Jewish life and settlement, told through the story of what Jews ate, and where, and why, and how they made it.

Now, in The Food of Spain, Claudia Roden applies that same remarkable insight, scope, and authority to a cuisine marked by its regionalism and suffused with an unusually particular culinary history. In hundreds of exquisite recipes, Roden explores both the little known and the classic dishes of Spain–from Andalusia to Asturias, from Catalonia to Galicia. And whether she's writing about smoky, nutty Catalan Romesco sauce, Cordero a la Miel–sweet and hot tender lamb stew with honey–or the iconic, emblematic national dish of Spain, saffron-perfumed Paella Valenciana, her clear, elegant, humorous, and passionate voice is a reader's delight, a guide not only to delicious food but to the peoples and cultures that produced it.

Both comprehensive and timeless, The Food of Spain is one of the most important books on this tremendous cuisine to appear in the last fifty years. A classic in the making, it is an essential work not only for fans of Spanish and Mediterranean food but for every serious cook as well as discerning armchair travelers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Presents hundreds of recipes from the different regions of Spain, from Andalusia to Galicia, and provides a guide to the peoples and cultures that develop the different cuisines.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,407,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible