Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder

Batman: The Black Mirror

by Scott Snyder, Francesco Francavilla (Illustrator), Jock (Illustrator)

2091356,261 (4.14)3
    Batman Volume 1: The Court of Owls by Scott Snyder (ryvre)
    ryvre: Batman: the Black Mirror immediately precedes Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls. Sure, the entire universe was relaunched between the two, but they still follow nicely.

One of my favorite tumblr's DC Women Kicking Ass noted this as one of their top books of the year so I decided to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did. It gives you a great look at Dick and Gordon and how they handle Dick's time as Batman after Bruce's return. The story line was a great creepy mystery totally solidifying the idea of Batman as Detective. The art style was phenominal for the creepy vibe the storyline was putting out. All in all I was very happy. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
It’s been a long time since I’ve read Hush or The Long Halloween, so the following statement might be incredibly present-biased:

Scott Snyder writes Batman better than anyone else.

I know people have issues with how dark Snyder likes to go, but that’s exactly what I love about it. Last I checked, Batman was dark. Gotham is dark. It’s supposed to be. If it’s light-hearted Batman you’re looking for, then I suggest looking up Adam West and Burt Ward. Otherwise, Snyder is definitely the way to go.

There are a decent handful of villains that Batman (Dick Grayson) has to chase after over the course of The Black Mirror - even the Joker shows up with a short cameo. It’s James Gordon, Jr., however, that steals the show. A psychopathic serial killer to beat all psychopathic serial killers, James Jr. is creepy to the bone. (No pun intended.)

I refuse to better-or-worse The Black Mirror with The Court of Owls, but they are both on my top 5 graphic novel shortlist.

Scott Snyder, my marriage proposal is still waiting an answer. ( )
  sixteendays | Jun 17, 2015 |

Snyder, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Francavilla, FrancescoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
JockIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140123206X, Hardcover)

A NEW YORK TIMES #1 Bestseller and Amazon Best Book of 2011

In "The Black Mirror," a series of brutal murders pushes Batman's detective skills to the limit and forces him to confront one of Gotham City's oldest evils. Helpless and trapped in the deadly Mirror House, Batman must fight for his life against one of Gotham City's oldest and most powerful evils!

Then, in a second story called "Hungry City," the corpse of a killer whale shows up on the floor of one of Gotham City's foremost banks. The event begins a strange and deadly mystery that will bring Batman face-to-face with the new, terrifying faces of organized crime in Gotham.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

A series of brutal murders push Batman's detective skills to the limit and force him to confront one of Gotham City's oldest evils. In a second story, the corpse of a killer whale shows up on the floor of one of Gotham City's foremost banks. The event begins a strange and deadly mystery that will bring Batman face to face with the new, terrifying faces of organized crime in Gotham.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,180,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible