Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder

Batman: The Black Mirror

by Scott Snyder, Francesco Francavilla (Illustrator), Jock (Illustrator)

Batman Volume 1: The Court of the Owls by Scott Snyder (ryvre)
    ryvre: Batman: the Black Mirror immediately precedes Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls. Sure, the entire universe was relaunched between the two, but they still follow nicely.

Amazing take on Gotham and the Dick Grayson Batman by the star of the new 52, Scott Snyder. Great art, I almost wish Francavilla had done the entire thing... ( )
  JonathanCrites | Apr 9, 2014 |
This was probably the easiest 5 stars I’ve ever awarded a book.

I’m not someone who follows Batman on a regular basis so I really appreciated the short blurb at the beginning bringing me up to speed on what’s been happening in Gotham leading up to this arc. Basically, Bruce Wayne was thought to have been killed. In his place, the original Robin, Dick Grayson, took up the mantle of The Dark Knight. Alongside Oracle, Commissioner Gordon and Tim Drake as the new Red Robin, Batman once again tries to bring a feeling of safety to the streets of Gotham.

Dick is still trying to get comfortable under the cape and cowl when Gordon’s son, James, resurfaces. Commissioner Gordon has his doubts of his son’s true intentions but wants to believe he’s cleaned up his act. How can you blame him? James even admits to taking steps towards becoming more mentally stable by entering into voluntary medical trials regarding a new drug tailored specifically toward psychopaths. Barbara believes he’s more the same than ever and refuses to see anything positive in his sudden reappearance still fearing what she had seen in him as a child.

The collection takes you through several stories all connecting through a larger arc dealing with James’ return. This is some amazing work here produced by Snyder and I can easily see it becoming an instant classic. As usual, when a graphic novel is this strong, you can’t give all the credit to the writer. The artwork provided by Jock (a pseudonym for artist, Mark Simpson) is simply stellar. It reminded me a lot of Frank Millar’s work in Year One giving Gotham that gritty feel that stayed away from a more polished representation of the Caped Crusader's city.

Speaking of Gotham, like China Mieville’s presentation of New Crobuzon, Gotham is a central character in this tale. With characters often referencing the dangerous and unforgiving nature of the city, at times almost feeling that there is a living, beating evil heart below the buildings in concrete, tainting everyone and everything existing on top. It’s awesome stuff. It makes sense that with Bruce Wayne’s recent creation of Batman Inc., he would leave the toughest city to someone he trusts the most.

I like Dick as Batman just fine even though I initially had my doubts. It made me realize that someone else can inhabit the legendary crime fighter and still get the job done. I even enjoyed the wise cracking and acrobatic style that he brings to the character, something that surprisingly worked on a traditionally darker, more serious role. Synder lets Grayson’s personality shine through the cracks without going overboard, something Kevin Smith implored a little too much of with his portrayal of a "happier" Bruce Wayne in his second effort, "The Widening Gyre".

I’m shocked that Gordon’s son, James Jr., had gone unused for so long as Snyder’s version of this character is downright chilling. More specifically, the scene involving father and son sharing a conversation in a local Gotham diner was unsettling. I wondered if Miller’s Kevin from Sin City provided any inspiration for the character. Granted Kevin didn’t have a speaking role but I can imagine if he had any lines, he would have a similar tone.

Look, if you read any of my reviews and you share a love of Batman, you need to get this. It might be a little early to say so but I would put it up there with Miller’s epics from the 80s in terms of quality, it’s just that good. What are you waiting for? Go get this now! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
A "Dick Grayson as Batman" story, which has been rare for me. When I started the book, I wasn't enjoying the art style at all, but over time, it grew on me. I think it fit well with the themes of darkness and psychosis that was apparent throughout the book.
The idea that Gotham has a "darkness" about it isn't a new idea, but Snyder does a great job (as always) communicating that point in both word and art style.
Overall, I'd recommend this book as more of an introspective Batman title and not something incredibly action packed, though there were a few scenes that had good fights in them. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 12, 2014 |
A very smart, very mature Batman tale. Scott Snyder knows how to write the character, even when the hero is played by Dick Grayson. I was gripped from start to finish. It should appeal to those who have not kept up with the Batman comics. The only bit of continuity you need to know is that the original Robin (Dick Grayson) is temping as Batman.

If you haven't kept up on Batman, skip the run of Grant Morrison books and start here. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |
Batman is Dick, and Gotham is still an evil seeping into everything it touches. A secret auction of atrocities, the latest escape of the Joker, a mysterious banker who’s the daughter of an old enemy, and the return of Jim Gordon’s estranged and possibly psychopathic son all play roles in this volume. I liked the themes of nightmares and reflections/refractions; Dick is a reflection of Bruce, but the man beneath the mask is different. ( )
  rivkat | Aug 12, 2013 |

Snyder, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Francavilla, FrancescoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
JockIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140123206X, Hardcover)

A NEW YORK TIMES #1 Bestseller and Amazon Best Book of 2011

In "The Black Mirror," a series of brutal murders pushes Batman's detective skills to the limit and forces him to confront one of Gotham City's oldest evils. Helpless and trapped in the deadly Mirror House, Batman must fight for his life against one of Gotham City's oldest and most powerful evils!

Then, in a second story called "Hungry City," the corpse of a killer whale shows up on the floor of one of Gotham City's foremost banks. The event begins a strange and deadly mystery that will bring Batman face-to-face with the new, terrifying faces of organized crime in Gotham.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:37 -0400)

A series of brutal murders push Batman's detective skills to the limit and force him to confront one of Gotham City's oldest evils. In a second story, the corpse of a killer whale shows up on the floor of one of Gotham City's foremost banks. The event begins a strange and deadly mystery that will bring Batman face to face with the new, terrifying faces of organized crime in Gotham.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible