Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book…

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by J.K. Rowling

68,0126292 (4.35)7 / 881
Member:ashbrau
Title:Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2006), Edition: Edition Unstated, Paperback, 652 pages

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling (2005)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a very similar book to harry potter. There is a series of 8. This is a must read. It screams READ ME!!! It is about kids who live in a magical land. Check it out. DO IT!!! DO IT!!! Please

English (598)  German (9)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (630)
Hmm. I liked this book less than the last few in the series. I think most of it was because this was the book where Ron and Hermione fought throughout most of the story and Harry decided he was right about his theories and never stopped to even consider any others. I have to remind myself that Harry is a teenager and thus will still act egotistical half the time. This book is also shorter than book five or seven. I did enjoy the pensive scenes, most of which had not been included in the movie. Actually, reading this book made me think that the sixth movie was very well made. This book felt more like a developmental book, kind of like a second book in a trilogy; I felt like the year just flew by and that not much really happened between the beginning and the end of the character’s school year. But still, great story, good writing, good entertainment. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 7, 2014 |
The one thing that struck me about this book is how little Snape it has in it, given the title. Also, it is a strange book to follow OOTP. In OOTP, Harry gets vague suspicions and acts on them and it's doom. In HBP, Harry gets vague suspicions about Draco, tries to act on them and is ignored, and it really was Draco all the time. Oh well, morally ambiguous mixed messages are good, right? It's a bleak book, with Dumbledore dying, and the great sacrifice to get the locket turning out to be absolutely pointless. (Although I guess if they hadn't found that locket, they'd never have found the real one...) I thought Rowling's bitchy pen portrait of Slughorn and the Slugclub was good, although never really goes anywhere - the missing gaps in the memory are nothing that Dumbledore (brightest wizard of the generation) couldn't have guessed anyway... ( )
  atreic | Jul 21, 2014 |
Say all you want about formulaic plot devices and fan-fiction romances, but that couldn't stop the Half-Blood Prince from elevating the Harry Potter phenomenon to a feverish level. Pottermainia was ubiquitous and the world couldn't get enough. Even the book's three-word plot twist (___ kills ___ for those who still don't want to be spoiled) became an infamous meme in itself.

The brilliance of the Half-Blood Prince comes from JK Rowling somehow juggling the imminent threat of Voldemort and his death eaters with the everyday drama of being sixteen and in school. The often light-hearted tone should feel off by all accounts but it doesn't. It's works.

Here we get to look back into Voldemort's past, uncovering secrets about the boy Tom Riddle transforming into He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. And the addition of the new Slytherin professor, Horace Slughorn, provides a complex perspective on a man who isn't so obviously black and white like Slytherins tend to be. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jul 16, 2014 |
I must say, I really enjoyed this book. This is the best of the HP that I've read so far. Every step of the way, all I wanted to do was keep reading.

I can't say that I believe/understand the character's motives...but it does appear that I will anxiously await the time until I can read the 7th book. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This sixth Harry Potter will wow the series’ many fans — Rowling delivers the likable characters and thrilling situations that have made the series so popular, handily weaving in plots begun in earlier books and returning to comic staples of wizard school life while providing fresh novelties.

Rowling has succeeded in delivering another spellbinding fantasy set in her consummately well-imagined alternate reality.

It is a novel that pulls together dozens of plot strands from previous volumes, underscoring how cleverly and carefully J. K. Rowling has assembled this giant jigsaw puzzle of an epic.

Dragones y Monstruos

To Mackenzie,
my beautiful daughter,
I dedicate
her ink-and-paper twin.
It was nearing midnight and the Prime Minister was sitting alone in his office, reading a long memo that was slipping through his brain without leaving the slightest trace of meaning behind.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher. For information regarding permission, write to Scholastic Inc., Attention: Permissions Department, 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012.

Library of Congress Control Number: 2005921149.

Printing line: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 05 06 07 08 09 First American edition, July, 2005. PAGE 659 NOTICES

The art for both the jacket and the interior was created using pastels on toned printmaking paper. The text was set in 12-point Adobe Garamond, a typeface based on the sixteenth-century type designs of Claude Garamond, redrawn by Robert Slimbach in 1989. The book was typeset by Brad Walrod and was printed and bound at RR Donnelley in Harrisonburg, Virginia, on paper that is free of fiber from ancient forests. [The information on page 659 is set in a diamond pattern under the lantern logo.]
The wizarding world has finally woken up to Voldemort’s return, and his Death Eaters are on the rampage, causing chaos, confusion and death. Harry Potter, who is now surrounded by more rumours than ever before, returns to Hogwarts for his sixth-year of magical education – but the school is no longer the haven it used to be, and spies who have been hidden for years will soon show their true colours. As suspicions escalate and workloads increase, Albus Dumbledore invites Harry to join him in piecing together the tale of Voldemort’s parentage and upbringing – a tale that will reveal his darkest secret yet.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439785960, Paperback)

The deluxe edition includes a 32-page insert featuring near scale reproductions of Mary GrandPré's interior art, as well as never-before-seen full-color frontispiece art on special paper. The custom-designed slipcase is foil-stamped and inside is a full cloth case book, blind-stamped on front and back cover, foil stamped on spine. The book includes full-color endpapers with jacket art from the Trade edition and a wraparound jacket featuring exclusive, suitable-for-framing art from Mary GrandPré.

Potter News You Can Use

J.K. Rowling has revealed three chapter titles from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to be:

Chapter Two: "Spinners End" Chapter Six: "Draco's Detour" Chapter Fourteen: "Felix Felicis"

A Few Words from J.K. Rowling
"I am an extraordinarily lucky person, doing what I love best in the world. I’m sure that I will always be a writer. It was wonderful enough just to be published. The greatest reward is the enthusiasm of the readers." --J.K. Rowling.

Find out more about Harry's creator in our exclusive interview with J.K. Rowling.

Why We Love Harry
Favorite Moments from the Series
There are plenty of reasons to love Rowling's wildly popular series--no doubt you have several dozen of your own. Our list features favorite moments, characters, and artifacts from all five books. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive (what we love about Harry could fill five books!) and does not include any of the spectacular revelatory moments that would spoil the books for those (few) who have not read them. Enjoy.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry's first trip to the zoo with the Dursleys, when a boa constrictor winks at him. When the Dursleys' house is suddenly besieged by letters for Harry from Hogwarts. Readers learn how much the Dursleys have been keeping from Harry. Rowling does a wonderful job in displaying the lengths to which Uncle Vernon will go to deny that magic exists. Harry's first visit to Diagon Alley with Hagrid. Full of curiosities and rich with magic and marvel, Harry's first trip includes a trip to Gringotts and Ollivanders, where Harry gets his wand (holly and phoenix feather) and discovers yet another connection to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. This moment is the reader's first full introduction to Rowling's world of witchcraft and wizards.Harry's experience with the Sorting Hat.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
The de-gnoming of the Weasleys' garden. Harry discovers that even wizards have chores--gnomes must be grabbed (ignoring angry protests "Gerroff me! Gerroff me!"), swung about (to make them too dizzy to come back), and tossed out of the garden--this delightful scene highlights Rowling's clever and witty genius. Harry's first experience with a Howler, sent to Ron by his mother. The Dueling Club battle between Harry and Malfoy. Gilderoy Lockhart starts the Dueling Club to help students practice spells on each other, but he is not prepared for the intensity of the animosity between Harry and Draco. Since they are still young, their minibattle is innocent enough, including tickling and dancing charms.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Ron's attempt to use a telephone to call Harry at the Dursleys'. Harry's first encounter with a Dementor on the train (and just about any other encounter with Dementors). Harry's brush with the Dementors is terrifying and prepares Potter fans for a darker, scarier book. Harry, Ron, and Hermione's behavior in Professor Trelawney's Divination class. Some of the best moments in Rowling's books occur when she reminds us that the wizards-in-training at Hogwarts are, after all, just children. Clearly, even at a school of witchcraft and wizardry, classes can be boring and seem pointless to children. The Boggart lesson in Professor Lupin's classroom. Harry, Ron, and Hermione's knock-down confrontation with Snape.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Hermione's disgust at the reception for the veela (Bulgarian National Team Mascots) at the Quidditch World Cup. Rowling's fourth book addresses issues about growing up--the dynamic between the boys and girls at Hogwarts starts to change. Nowhere is this more plain than the hilarious scene in which magical cheerleaders nearly convince Harry and Ron to jump from the stands to impress them. Viktor Krum's crush on Hermione--and Ron's objection to it. Malfoy's "Potter Stinks" badge. Hermione's creation of S.P.E.W., the intolerant bigotry of the Death Eaters, and the danger of the Triwizard Tournament. Add in the changing dynamics between girls and boys at Hogwarts, and suddenly Rowling's fourth book has a weight and seriousness not as present in early books in the series. Candy and tickle spells are left behind as the students tackle darker, more serious issues and take on larger responsibilities, including the knowledge of illegal curses.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry's outburst to his friends at No. 12 Grimmauld Place. A combination of frustration over being kept in the dark and fear that he will be expelled fuels much of Harry's anger, and it all comes out at once, directly aimed at Ron and Hermione. Rowling perfectly portrays Harry's frustration at being too old to shirk responsibility, but too young to be accepted as part of the fight that he knows is coming. Harry's detention with Professor Umbridge. Rowling shows her darker side, leading readers to believe that Hogwarts is no longer a safe haven for young wizards. Dolores represents a bureaucratic tyrant capable of real evil, and Harry is forced to endure their private battle of wills alone. Harry and Cho's painfully awkward interactions. Rowling clearly remembers what it was like to be a teenager. Harry's Occlumency lessons with Snape. Dumbledore's confession to Harry.

Begin at the Beginning

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Paperback

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Paperback Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Paperback Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Paperback Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Paperback

If You Like J.K. Rowling, You'll Love These Authors…

Cornelia Funke Eoin Colfer Garth Nix

New Novels to Keep You Busy

Cry of the Icemark
The Dark Hills Divide
Singer of All Songs
The Game of Sunken Places
Children of the Lamp
Dragon Rider

Authors Younger Potter Fans Should Try…

Geronimo Stilton Andy Griffiths Dav Pilkey

Keys to the Kingdom
Underland Chronicles
Dragons of Deltora

A Few Words from Mary GrandPré
"When I illustrate a cover or a book, I draw upon what the author tells me; that's how I see my responsibility as an illustrator. J.K. Rowling is very descriptive in her writing--she gives an illustrator a lot to work with. Each story is packed full of rich visual descriptions of the atmosphere, the mood, the setting, and all the different creatures and people. She makes it easy for me. The images just develop as I sketch and retrace until it feels right and matches her vision." Check out more Harry Potter art from illustrator Mary GrandPré.

Did You Know?

The Little White Horse was J.K. Rowling's favorite book as a child. Jane Austen is Rowling's favorite author. Roddy Doyle is Rowling's favorite living writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:47 -0400)

Sixth-year Hogwarts student Harry Potter gains valuable insights into the boy Voldemort once was, even as his own world is transformed by maturing friendships, schoolwork assistance from an unexpected source, and devastating losses.

Current discussions

Harry Potter and the Re/Read of The Half-Blood Prince in 75 Books Challenge for 2014

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible