Harry Potter ja puoliverinen prinssi by J.…

Harry Potter ja puoliverinen prinssi (original 2005; edition 2006)

by J. K. Rowling, Jaana Kapari ((KÄÄnt.))

67,099None2 (4.35)6 / 837
Member:razor87_
Title:Harry Potter ja puoliverinen prinssi
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Jaana Kapari ((KÄÄnt.))
Info:Helsinki : Tammi, 2006.
Collections:Read but unowned

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling (2005)

Recently added bytbelen, weidmanb, sora2, private library, Cherlindrea, phreadingcentre, Keywanklaus, tmshow
adventure (481) boarding school (204) British (351) children (568) children's (1,051) children's fiction (304) children's literature (591) England (364) English (167) fantasy (7,841) fiction (4,831) friendship (224) hardcover (336) Harry Potter (3,336) Harry Potter Series (194) Hogwarts (277) J.K. Rowling (352) juvenile (195) magic (2,481) novel (439) own (405) read (940) Rowling (195) school (280) series (951) sff (209) witches (435) wizards (1,189) YA (741) young adult (1,416)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a very similar book to harry potter. There is a series of 8. This is a must read. It screams READ ME!!! It is about kids who live in a magical land. Check it out. DO IT!!! DO IT!!! Please

English (590)  German (9)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (621)
I've always felt that this is the book where shit gets real.

This keeps with Rowling's habit of upping the ante the older her characters (and her readers growing up with the characters) get. It's fantastically well written and enjoyable.

I don't remember if we get full details in 'The Deathly Hallows' on Snape's betrayal, but I'm going to be pissed if there's not. :) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Fifth time reading it:

Well, what can I say. It's Harry Potter. Just the fact that I read it for the fifth time should say something.

It's not my favorite book in the series, but it's still so good. It's not as miserable as book five, but it's just as tragic. Harry's not as hotheaded, but he still does some shouting. We finally get some Voldemort backstory. And y'know what's really amazing? Voldemort's backstory isn't lame. Normally with villains, the more you learn about them the less cool and scary they are, but Voldemort's not that way. J.K. Rowling actually gave him a suitable past.

We also get more Luna action, which is always nice. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 18, 2014 |
The last two books of the Harry Potter series are the hardest to read. There is so much grief and harshness in the world as Harry, Hermione and Ron try to overcome Voldemort and his followers. There is only a little bit of Harry learning what he needs to do to ultimately defeat Voldemort. Dumbledore tries to arm Harry with the knowledge of what Voldemort has done to make himself immortal. I quite enjoy the time that Harry spends with Dembledore because we get to learn more about the younger Tom Riddle and how he came to be Voldemort. I have wondered every time I have read this book if the inbreeding of the Gaunt family was the major cause of Tom Riddle psychopathic tendencies. From a very young age he shows his pleasure in hurting those weaker than himself. He never allows anyone close and never seems to need anyone to help him in anyway. He is a loner and a sadist. We also find out why he looks the way he does. I have always found it intriguing that Ms. Rowling put so much thought into what tearing the soul would do to a wizard. She is also very good at building her readers up to some climax and then providing a twist for the next story, more so in the book than any of the others.

This story begins as all the others have; Harry is at the Dursley’s on summer break. I find it amusing that the Dursley’s are still so afraid of magic. I mean they have to have gotten use to so unusual things happening around Harry. I guess they are just very narrow minded people that have no imagination or sense of fun to themselves at all. I do love how Dumbledore makes himself at home. That whole scene is probably the happiest in the whole book. I also love the Dumbledore make his displeasure know to the Dursley’s about Harry treatment at their hands. I just wish it might have sunken in a little. However people like that never see that they are wrong and need to change. It is rather sad after all.

This is the first book that there are times that I would love to shake Hermione and tell her to grow up. She is so upset that she is being bested in a class that she becomes intolerable at times. I am sure that it is a good experience for her. I mean she is going to find others that might be better than she is in the real world. We get to see more of Dobby in this book and I have to say that the house elf has grown on me. He tries so hard to please Harry. More than that thought he is really a kind and giving person that will do anything for those that he cares about.

There are some really sad parts in this story especially the death at the end of the story so I would have tissues handy. There are also several wonderful moments as well. Ginny and Harry’s first kiss is one of the best. I was a touch sad that we didn’t see more of Hagrid in this story. I guess with the kids not having classes with him it was hard to fit him in much. There are more important things going on in this story after all. Unlike the other books the ending of this one definitely leaves the door open for the next. There is no way the series could have ended with this book. Ms. Rowling definitely made the seventh book and necessity. ( )
  LadyIsis | Feb 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed the novel itself more on this second reading, but I hated the narration. I wish I'd known there was a Stephen Fry version out there; I would've tracked it down instead. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Out of all of the Harry Potter books, this is my favorite! Harry learns so much in this book and you see a side in Snape that you don't see a lot. In the beginning of the series, I really disliked Snape a lot, but through this book, I began to understand him more. J.K Rowling did a phenomenal job on this book and that's why I gave her 5 stars!:) ( )
  mem711 | Jan 7, 2014 |
This sixth Harry Potter will wow the series’ many fans — Rowling delivers the likable characters and thrilling situations that have made the series so popular, handily weaving in plots begun in earlier books and returning to comic staples of wizard school life while providing fresh novelties.

Rowling has succeeded in delivering another spellbinding fantasy set in her consummately well-imagined alternate reality.

It is a novel that pulls together dozens of plot strands from previous volumes, underscoring how cleverly and carefully J. K. Rowling has assembled this giant jigsaw puzzle of an epic.

Dragones y Monstruos

To Mackenzie,
my beautiful daughter,
I dedicate
her ink-and-paper twin.
It was nearing midnight and the Prime Minister was sitting alone in his office, reading a long memo that was slipping through his brain without leaving the slightest trace of meaning behind.
The wizarding world has finally woken up to Voldemort’s return, and his Death Eaters are on the rampage, causing chaos, confusion and death. Harry Potter, who is now surrounded by more rumours than ever before, returns to Hogwarts for his sixth-year of magical education – but the school is no longer the haven it used to be, and spies who have been hidden for years will soon show their true colours. As suspicions escalate and workloads increase, Albus Dumbledore invites Harry to join him in piecing together the tale of Voldemort’s parentage and upbringing – a tale that will reveal his darkest secret yet.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439785960, Paperback)

The deluxe edition includes a 32-page insert featuring near scale reproductions of Mary GrandPré's interior art, as well as never-before-seen full-color frontispiece art on special paper. The custom-designed slipcase is foil-stamped and inside is a full cloth case book, blind-stamped on front and back cover, foil stamped on spine. The book includes full-color endpapers with jacket art from the Trade edition and a wraparound jacket featuring exclusive, suitable-for-framing art from Mary GrandPré.

Potter News You Can Use

J.K. Rowling has revealed three chapter titles from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to be:

Chapter Two: "Spinners End" Chapter Six: "Draco's Detour" Chapter Fourteen: "Felix Felicis"

A Few Words from J.K. Rowling
"I am an extraordinarily lucky person, doing what I love best in the world. I’m sure that I will always be a writer. It was wonderful enough just to be published. The greatest reward is the enthusiasm of the readers." --J.K. Rowling.

Find out more about Harry's creator in our exclusive interview with J.K. Rowling.

Why We Love Harry
Favorite Moments from the Series
There are plenty of reasons to love Rowling's wildly popular series--no doubt you have several dozen of your own. Our list features favorite moments, characters, and artifacts from all five books. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive (what we love about Harry could fill five books!) and does not include any of the spectacular revelatory moments that would spoil the books for those (few) who have not read them. Enjoy.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry's first trip to the zoo with the Dursleys, when a boa constrictor winks at him. When the Dursleys' house is suddenly besieged by letters for Harry from Hogwarts. Readers learn how much the Dursleys have been keeping from Harry. Rowling does a wonderful job in displaying the lengths to which Uncle Vernon will go to deny that magic exists. Harry's first visit to Diagon Alley with Hagrid. Full of curiosities and rich with magic and marvel, Harry's first trip includes a trip to Gringotts and Ollivanders, where Harry gets his wand (holly and phoenix feather) and discovers yet another connection to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. This moment is the reader's first full introduction to Rowling's world of witchcraft and wizards.Harry's experience with the Sorting Hat.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
The de-gnoming of the Weasleys' garden. Harry discovers that even wizards have chores--gnomes must be grabbed (ignoring angry protests "Gerroff me! Gerroff me!"), swung about (to make them too dizzy to come back), and tossed out of the garden--this delightful scene highlights Rowling's clever and witty genius. Harry's first experience with a Howler, sent to Ron by his mother. The Dueling Club battle between Harry and Malfoy. Gilderoy Lockhart starts the Dueling Club to help students practice spells on each other, but he is not prepared for the intensity of the animosity between Harry and Draco. Since they are still young, their minibattle is innocent enough, including tickling and dancing charms.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Ron's attempt to use a telephone to call Harry at the Dursleys'. Harry's first encounter with a Dementor on the train (and just about any other encounter with Dementors). Harry's brush with the Dementors is terrifying and prepares Potter fans for a darker, scarier book. Harry, Ron, and Hermione's behavior in Professor Trelawney's Divination class. Some of the best moments in Rowling's books occur when she reminds us that the wizards-in-training at Hogwarts are, after all, just children. Clearly, even at a school of witchcraft and wizardry, classes can be boring and seem pointless to children. The Boggart lesson in Professor Lupin's classroom. Harry, Ron, and Hermione's knock-down confrontation with Snape.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Hermione's disgust at the reception for the veela (Bulgarian National Team Mascots) at the Quidditch World Cup. Rowling's fourth book addresses issues about growing up--the dynamic between the boys and girls at Hogwarts starts to change. Nowhere is this more plain than the hilarious scene in which magical cheerleaders nearly convince Harry and Ron to jump from the stands to impress them. Viktor Krum's crush on Hermione--and Ron's objection to it. Malfoy's "Potter Stinks" badge. Hermione's creation of S.P.E.W., the intolerant bigotry of the Death Eaters, and the danger of the Triwizard Tournament. Add in the changing dynamics between girls and boys at Hogwarts, and suddenly Rowling's fourth book has a weight and seriousness not as present in early books in the series. Candy and tickle spells are left behind as the students tackle darker, more serious issues and take on larger responsibilities, including the knowledge of illegal curses.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry's outburst to his friends at No. 12 Grimmauld Place. A combination of frustration over being kept in the dark and fear that he will be expelled fuels much of Harry's anger, and it all comes out at once, directly aimed at Ron and Hermione. Rowling perfectly portrays Harry's frustration at being too old to shirk responsibility, but too young to be accepted as part of the fight that he knows is coming. Harry's detention with Professor Umbridge. Rowling shows her darker side, leading readers to believe that Hogwarts is no longer a safe haven for young wizards. Dolores represents a bureaucratic tyrant capable of real evil, and Harry is forced to endure their private battle of wills alone. Harry and Cho's painfully awkward interactions. Rowling clearly remembers what it was like to be a teenager. Harry's Occlumency lessons with Snape. Dumbledore's confession to Harry.

Begin at the Beginning

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Paperback

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Paperback Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Paperback Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Paperback Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Paperback

If You Like J.K. Rowling, You'll Love These Authors…

Cornelia Funke Eoin Colfer Garth Nix

New Novels to Keep You Busy

Cry of the Icemark
The Dark Hills Divide
Singer of All Songs
The Game of Sunken Places
Children of the Lamp
Dragon Rider

Authors Younger Potter Fans Should Try…

Geronimo Stilton Andy Griffiths Dav Pilkey

Keys to the Kingdom
Underland Chronicles
Dragons of Deltora

A Few Words from Mary GrandPré
"When I illustrate a cover or a book, I draw upon what the author tells me; that's how I see my responsibility as an illustrator. J.K. Rowling is very descriptive in her writing--she gives an illustrator a lot to work with. Each story is packed full of rich visual descriptions of the atmosphere, the mood, the setting, and all the different creatures and people. She makes it easy for me. The images just develop as I sketch and retrace until it feels right and matches her vision." Check out more Harry Potter art from illustrator Mary GrandPré.

Did You Know?

The Little White Horse was J.K. Rowling's favorite book as a child. Jane Austen is Rowling's favorite author. Roddy Doyle is Rowling's favorite living writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:47 -0400)

Sixth-year Hogwarts student Harry Potter gains valuable insights into the boy Voldemort once was, even as his own world is transformed by maturing friendships, schoolwork assistance from an unexpected source, and devastating losses.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible