Maid for Love: McCarthys of Gansett Island…

Maid for Love: McCarthys of Gansett Island (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Marie Force

Member:AnneHudson
Title:Maid for Love: McCarthys of Gansett Island (Volume 1)
Authors:Marie Force
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 262 pages
Collections:Read, Your library (inactive)
Rating:***

Maid for Love by Marie Force

I really enjoyed this romance and I've rated it a 4.5*.This story drew me in right away and pulled me along, wanting to know what would happen next. It was serious and fun in turns. I just couldn't help wanting to help Mac and Maddie to understand each other. Then you add children and it adds more fun. This is not for the under 18 group because of the sexual content. ( )
  NancyLuebke | Jun 1, 2016 |
I need to be careful here as to not totally bash this book. It was a freebie and after seeing all the four and five star reviews I decided to give it a try. I had to wonder (as others have said) if I was reading the same book, or was it just me?

The actual plot had so much potential, but there were significant problems with the writing and timelines that left me scratching my head while saying, "Huh!?" Sorry, folks. I just didn't like this one.

Since this was written in 2011, I'm sure the author has grown over time, but I hesitate to spend money on a book that could end up like this one. I'll start with the good and do my best to address my issues constructively.

The Good:

1. It had a happy ending and Mac was very sweet to the baby, although it was a little creepy how quickly Maddie handed her son into his care.
2. Mac was a stand-up guy when it came to the important things.
3. Mac's father was actually my favorite character in the book, but I don't understand why he was given such a cheezy name: "Big Mac."
4. The chemistry between Joe and Janey peeked my interest. For just a few pages out of a 500 page book to stand out like that, the author is doing something right, but there was so much of...

The Bad:

1. I'll start with Maddie. I did not like her. At all. I prefer my heroines to be fighters, not victims that "give up" and wallow in their misery. Yes, she was treated unfairly in high school, but she gave her body image, specifically her overly large breasts, far too much negative power in her life.

2. IMHO, this book was insta-love (actually, it was insta-lust) with little to no realism. Mac learns that "...someone in his family had done this woman wrong, and if it was the last thing he ever did, he'd find out who." Okay. He's known her an HOUR. The book was riddled with scenes and scenarios where I simply couldn't suspend belief. Like this exchange:

Maddie: "I pictured you as a real playboy. Different day, different woman."
Mac: "That might've described me at one point in my life, but not anymore."
Maddie: "And when did this miraculous change occur?"
Mac: "About nine o'clock this morning."

3. The writing pulled me out of the story over and over with comments like "fingers fisting in his hair" and "the wicked scent of summer flowers." To me, fingers curl, hands fist. When I think of wicked, flowers aren't in the picture, unless they're dead or black. Some of the language and descriptions in the sex scenes I found to be trashy and vulgar.

4. Since when is breast feeding sexy? Reality in this book was he'd known her ninety minutes and it was: the sexiest thing he'd ever seen and then he tells her "I have a very vivid imagination."

5. Another problem was Maddie's behavior. If she was so self-conscious of her sexuality, why was she always "[rubbing] against him as she walked by" and so open about past sexual encounters? Then there was the father of her child. She'd just told Mac that this man had lied about a vasectomy, took her virginity without even noticing (another reality stretch), and broke up with her via text message. But WAIT! She NAMES her BABY after him?! WTHeck?

In summary, the book was over sexualized for the actual plot. If this hadn't been on a list for one of my reading challenges, I wouldn't have finished it. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Maybe Macs instantaneous love for a woman and her child is a bit unbelievable, but I enjoyed this; the author's style, the characters, the story, the island. This was a free ebook but I will certainly be looking for more books by this author.

(reread when I got a box of book 1-3 for USD 0.99 at Amazon in December 2013)
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
This book epitomizes the LOVE (everlasting) AT FIRST SIGHT books (which I HATE). It was also very mediocre. The writing style was nice, and even the plot was good. But, I found so much to be utterly ridiculous!!

>>>>>>>>>>>> spoilers The getting all the nastiest, worst rooms to clean because of a bad reputation she had in HIGH SCHOOL. The fact that her employers, after 8 years hadn't re-assessed her personality in all that time, and still thought her a piece of trash! ridiculous.

The 'letter to the editor' apologies for despicable behavior (IN HIGH SCHOOL) by all the boys who gave her a bad name, that was just lame. I thought that the most ridiculous form of 'get back' 'pay back' ever.

I found the guy lying and saying he couldn't have children so that he could have sex with her without a condom to be ridiculous too. MAYBE for a 20 year old that kind of shit would make sense, but for a 40 year old who doesn't want financial entanglements?! It just doesn't seem likely (to me, but what do I know) that a top selling author would go around Willy-nilly fucking girls without condoms.

But the absolute worst was the 'love to survive the ages' in HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a fucking break!!!!!!! Oh my god, these books just keep getting worse and worse with this love at first sight shit!! There should be a genre specifically for LFS (love at first sight) books, so that right off the bat those of us who don't like them (ME) can fucking skip them altogether!!!

And, even though I get it's a series, I thought the book ended pretty abruptly... but I guess I should have expected that as they were engaged and buying a house together within a fucking week of knowing each other!!!!!!!!!!! (Have I mentioned how much I hate love at first sight books?)

>>>>>>>>>>>> end spoilers
I won't be reading the rest of this series. They are just too fucking ridiculous and weak. I did find this book very humorous, and the characters were all interesting, some more than others, but really nothing was developed, nothing was deep. Nothing was really worth continuing with these books.

By the way, this is the second book I've read from this author, and the second time that instantly the hero/heroine are in love, professing love ever after. I won't be reading any more of her books at all, not just this series.
  aVamp1r3 | Nov 25, 2014 |
Light and enjoyable, with a few laugh out loud moments,. ( )
  gogglemiss | Sep 24, 2013 |

The McCarthys of Gansett Island: Book 1

Maddie Chester is determined to leave her hometown of Gansett Island, a place that has brought her only bad memories and ugly rumors. Then she’s knocked off her bike on the way to her housekeeping job at McCarthy’s Resort Hotel by Gansett’s “favorite son,” Mac McCarthy. He’s back in town to help his father with preparations to sell the family resort and has no intention of staying long. When Mac accidentally sends Maddie flying over the handlebars, badly injuring her, he moves in to nurse her back to health and help care for her young son. He soon realizes his plans for a hit-and-run visit to the island are in serious jeopardy, and he just may be “maid” for love.

Maddie Chester is determined to leave her hometown of Gansett Island, a place that has brought her only bad memories and ugly rumors. Then she's knocked off her bike on the way to her housekeeping job at McCarthy's Resort Hotel by Gansett's "favorite son," Mac McCarthy. He's back in town to help his father with preparations to sell the family resort and has no intention of staying long. When Mac accidentally sends Maddie flying over the handlebars, badly injuring her, he moves in to nurse her back to health and help care for her young son. He soon realizes his plans for a hit-and-run visit to the island are in serious jeopardy, and he just may be "maid" for love.… (more)

39 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,586,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible