The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

The Art of Fielding (2011)

by Chad Harbach

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)
    Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon (zhejw)
    zhejw: Both books are set in academia, are nicely plotted, and approach similar themes with just enough humor.
    Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger (Othemts)
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (mcenroeucsb)
    & Sons by David Gilbert (Fenoxielo)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (mcenroeucsb)
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    The Might Have Been: A Novel by Joe Schuster (ReadHanded)
    ReadHanded: Baseball novels that are about life more than baseball.
    Exley by Brock Clarke (hairball)
    hairball: These go together in my mind, somehow.
    Waiting for Teddy Williams by Howard Frank Mosher (mysterymax)
    Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: If you enjoy sports as a metaphor for life, you will enjoy this satire based on American football and Iraq war heroes.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (ominogue)

English (179)  Dutch (4)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (185)
This was one of the best novels I've read in a long time. I believe this is actually a debut novel, and it was extremely enjoyable. I'm a baseball fan, which is why I picked it up, and I think any reader should have some knowledge and interest in baseball in order to really enjoy it. But, there is so much going on in this story, that anyone who just likes a good story will love it too. A trio of college baseball players comprise the core characters, along with secondary characters such as the college president and his daughter. The stories all weave together in a number of ways, some predictable, some not so predictable, and although there is a good amount of variety, there is never so much going on that the reader has a hard time untangling or remembering which story was whose. Each character is utterly unique, and has his or her own voice, which is harder to achieve than it sounds. I'll look forward to reading more by this author.

PS, There are a lot of comparisons out there to Jonathan Franzen, and I'm currently wading through "Freedom," which has not grabbed me nearly as hard as this one did. Just sayin. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
What a lovely book this was! Not overly sophisticated, but rather a tender story of boys and men and honest tender feelings. I got to know and love these characters, cared about what happened to them, and became more engrossed as the story continued. I have little interest in baseball unlike my partner who adores it, but the Art of Fielding is about so much more. I loved the quotes from the fictional "art of fielding" as they seemed to raise the game to a spiritual status. I loved seeing the characters grow and become more real, more vulnerable and human as the story progressed.

I will miss these characters now that I've finished the book - these are people who in life I would probably never know, and certainly never choose to befriend, but on the page, they became family to me. ( )
  njinthesun | Jul 9, 2015 |
This is an interesting book about men and what makes them click; their stubbornness, their insecurities, and their love for each other. It is the type of book that one should appreciate not for how it ends but for how it gets to that ending. Along the way we get to know intimately the baseball players of Westish College, Henry Skrimshander, Mike Schwartz, Owen Dunne, the college's president Guert Affenlight and his daughter Pella. Each has dreams and each has fears and insecurities that threaten to crush them. Pella spends a good deal of time wishing she could understand men but the funny part is that the explanation is right there in the book for the reader to see. ( )
  Unkletom | May 24, 2015 |
Though The Art of Fielding has as its characters those whose lives are somehow connected to the baseball team of a small non-descript liberal arts college in Wisconsin, you don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy it. The characters are compelling and the author has a way with language that you can veritably taste, smell, and feel the surroundings.

For a team from such a small school, it enjoys some unlikely successes on its way to a championship. And then, of course, it comes down the Big Game. Tension: will the team even more miraculously triumph in this one? Or like Rocky in his big fight, will they lose but achieve a personal victory? By this time, both alternatives have become cliches and I wondered what approach the author would take. And it turns out he beats the cliche with a completely satisfying alternative.

John Irving, Jonathan Franzen, and David James Duncan (The Brothers K) all liked this book. If you like any of those authors, you'll like this one too. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
Somewhat spoiler alert:
I started this book for the baseball aspect, but I continued to read it to try to experience the bitterness that Shwartz felt about Henry's success and his failure at it. I continued to read it for the growing relationship between Owen and Affenlight and to see how Affenlight grew into his feelings. I continued to read it for Pella and watching her grow from a woman on the run to a college student getting her life back.

Book was slow at times but was a very good read. Recommended for everyone, baseball fans or not. ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
The book is a throwback to a bygone, if not universally mourned era when charismatic white male novelists wrote intelligent bestsellers, and one senses that it is intentionally so....It is a work of stridently unexperimental psychological realism, featuring likeable characters with cute nicknames, dramatic events that change people’s lives, easily identified and fully consummated narrative arcs, transparently conversational prose and big, obvious metaphors.

Wie aan dit boek begint, wordt een wereld binnengezogen waaruit je niet meer kunt en wilt ontsnappen.
Naast honkbalroman, bildungsroman en campusroman zou je De kunst van het veldspel ook een Melvilleroman kunnen noemen. Zonder dat het hinderlijk wordt (zelfs als je ze allemaal zou opmerken, wat geen lezer zich verbeelde), stikt het boek van de verwijzingen naar met name Moby Dick.
Dit klinkt als gewichtigdoenerij, maar maakt gewoon deel uit van de spitsvondige speelsheid die dit hele boek kenmerkt. De kunst van het veldspel is een jongensboek voor jongens en meisjes van alle leeftijden.
added by sneuper | editde Volkskrant, Hans Bouman (Jan 28, 2012)

Chad Harbach's The Art of Fielding cross-breeds two genres with limited gene pools, the baseball novel and the campus novel, and comes up with a vigorous hybrid, entertaining and engrossing, though almost absurdly high-minded.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Adam Mars-Jones (Jan 28, 2012)

It's easy to see why The Art of Fielding has done so well: it is charming, warm-hearted, addictive, and very hard to dislike....

The Art of Fielding feels like a novel from another, more innocent age. It revels in themes that have been unfashionable in literary fiction for generations – team spirit, male friendship, making the best of one's talents. In its optimism and lack of cynicism, in its celebration of the wide open spaces of the Midwest and its confidence in the deep inner meaning of baseball, it is a big American novel of the old school....

...it creates a richly peopled world that you can fully inhabit in your mind, and to which you long to return when you put it down.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Theo Tait (Jan 12, 2012)

Centering on an imaginary northern Wisconsin private school and its baseball star-in-the-making Henry Skrimshander, Harbach sidesteps much of the familiar mythmaking that can go along with spinning the American pastime into literature and instead delivers a rich, warmly human story that resonates even if you have no idea what a 6-4-3 double play looks like.
added by zhejw | editLos Angeles Times, Chris Barton (Oct 16, 2011)

Chad Harbachprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vermeulen, JorisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
So be cheery, my lads
Let your hearts never fall
While the bold Harpooner
Is striking the ball.

--Westish College fight song
For my family
Schwartz didn't notice the kid during the game.
Literature could turn you into an asshole; he'd learned that teaching grad-school seminars.  It could teach you to treat real people the way you did characters, as instruments of your own intellectual pleasure, cadavers on which to practice your critical faculties.
Talking was like throwing a baseball.  You couldn't plan it out beforehand.  You just had to let go and see what happened.  You had to throw out words without knowing whether anyone would catch them--you and to throw out words you knew no one would catch. You had to send your words out where they weren't yours anymore.  It felt better to talk with a ball in your hand, it felt better to let the ball do the talking.  But the world, the nonbaseball world, the world of love and sex and jobs and friends, was made of words.

Au Wetish College , petite université sur les rives du lac Michigan , Henry Skrimshander est devenu une véritable star du baseball: il conclut tous ses matches par un sans-faute . Jusqu'au jour où il rate un lancer facile . Son destin ainsi que celui de quatre personnes vont alors prendre un tour décisif.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316126691, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2011: Though The Art of Fielding is his fiction debut, Chad Harbach writes with the self-assurance of a seasoned novelist. He exercises a masterful precision over the language and pacing of his narrative, and in some 500 pages, there's rarely a word that feels out of place. The title is a reference to baseball, but Harbach's concern with sports is more than just a cheap metaphor. The Art of Fielding explores relationships--between friends, family, and lovers--and the unpredictable forces that complicate them. There's an unintended affair, a post-graduate plan derailed by rejection letters, a marriage dissolved by honesty, and at the center of the book, the single baseball error that sets all of these events into motion. The Art of Fielding is somehow both confident and intimate, simple yet deeply moving. Harbach has penned one of the year's finest works of fiction.--Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

"At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for big-league stardom. But when a routine throw goes disastrously off course, the fates of five people are upended."--from publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible