The Art of Fielding: A Novel by Chad Harbach

The Art of Fielding: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Chad Harbach

Member:duwanis
Title:The Art of Fielding: A Novel
Authors:Chad Harbach
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 528 pages
Collections:Classics & Literature, Your library

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (2011)

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)
    Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger (Othemts)
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (mcenroeucsb)
    Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon (zhejw)
    zhejw: Both books are set in academia, are nicely plotted, and approach similar themes with just enough humor.
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    & Sons by David Gilbert (Fenoxielo)
    The Might Have Been: A Novel by Joe Schuster (ReadHanded)
    ReadHanded: Baseball novels that are about life more than baseball.
    Exley by Brock Clarke (hairball)
    hairball: These go together in my mind, somehow.
    Waiting for Teddy Williams by Howard Frank Mosher (mysterymax)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (mcenroeucsb)
    Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: If you enjoy sports as a metaphor for life, you will enjoy this satire based on American football and Iraq war heroes.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (ominogue)

English (174)  Dutch (4)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (180)
3.5 stars. Extremely likable, readable realist campus novel. Will undoubtedly be an oscar-bait movie within a couple of years. Harbach clearly likes college, likes baseball, likes Melville, likes his own characters, so the book is winningly earnest, though its canvas is small and its plotting a little too neat. ( )
  AThurman | Dec 7, 2014 |
I love everything about all the characters in this book. All their virtures, all their flaws. It is a wonderful story told so you feel like you are there. Highly recommended. ( )
  jkgrage | Nov 24, 2014 |
This was a book that completely captured me. I loved the characters, the wry humor, the frankness, and the grace of baseball underlying it all. It is a rare book that I want to re-read as soon as I've finished it, but this was one. ( )
  LaineyMac | Nov 6, 2014 |
The only two things I'll say about this book is that don't let the subject matter dissuade you from reading it. Yes, baseball is involved. No, you don't really need to enjoy or understand much about it to love this book.

The other thing is to not let the shaky start most characters have keep you from finishing the book. I pretty much hated every introduction but the author's ability to develop them makes the book cook along faster and faster until you reach that classic cliche: I didn't want the book to end. But rather than feel like there was story left untold, I felt the author got it exactly right, but I DIDN'T WANT TO LET THEM GO.

I don't know that this is a book I'll re-read, but it's a book I really loved reading! And I write a lot of 1-2 star reviews, I might add. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
The book is a throwback to a bygone, if not universally mourned era when charismatic white male novelists wrote intelligent bestsellers, and one senses that it is intentionally so....It is a work of stridently unexperimental psychological realism, featuring likeable characters with cute nicknames, dramatic events that change people’s lives, easily identified and fully consummated narrative arcs, transparently conversational prose and big, obvious metaphors.

Wie aan dit boek begint, wordt een wereld binnengezogen waaruit je niet meer kunt en wilt ontsnappen.
Naast honkbalroman, bildungsroman en campusroman zou je De kunst van het veldspel ook een Melvilleroman kunnen noemen. Zonder dat het hinderlijk wordt (zelfs als je ze allemaal zou opmerken, wat geen lezer zich verbeelde), stikt het boek van de verwijzingen naar met name Moby Dick.
Dit klinkt als gewichtigdoenerij, maar maakt gewoon deel uit van de spitsvondige speelsheid die dit hele boek kenmerkt. De kunst van het veldspel is een jongensboek voor jongens en meisjes van alle leeftijden.
added by sneuper | editde Volkskrant, Hans Bouman (Jan 28, 2012)

Chad Harbach's The Art of Fielding cross-breeds two genres with limited gene pools, the baseball novel and the campus novel, and comes up with a vigorous hybrid, entertaining and engrossing, though almost absurdly high-minded.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Adam Mars-Jones (Jan 28, 2012)

It's easy to see why The Art of Fielding has done so well: it is charming, warm-hearted, addictive, and very hard to dislike....

The Art of Fielding feels like a novel from another, more innocent age. It revels in themes that have been unfashionable in literary fiction for generations – team spirit, male friendship, making the best of one's talents. In its optimism and lack of cynicism, in its celebration of the wide open spaces of the Midwest and its confidence in the deep inner meaning of baseball, it is a big American novel of the old school....

...it creates a richly peopled world that you can fully inhabit in your mind, and to which you long to return when you put it down.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Theo Tait (Jan 12, 2012)

Centering on an imaginary northern Wisconsin private school and its baseball star-in-the-making Henry Skrimshander, Harbach sidesteps much of the familiar mythmaking that can go along with spinning the American pastime into literature and instead delivers a rich, warmly human story that resonates even if you have no idea what a 6-4-3 double play looks like.
added by zhejw | editLos Angeles Times, Chris Barton (Oct 16, 2011)

So be cheery, my lads
Let your hearts never fall
While the bold Harpooner
Is striking the ball.

--Westish College fight song
For my family
Schwartz didn't notice the kid during the game.
Literature could turn you into an asshole; he'd learned that teaching grad-school seminars.  It could teach you to treat real people the way you did characters, as instruments of your own intellectual pleasure, cadavers on which to practice your critical faculties.
Talking was like throwing a baseball.  You couldn't plan it out beforehand.  You just had to let go and see what happened.  You had to throw out words without knowing whether anyone would catch them--you and to throw out words you knew no one would catch. You had to send your words out where they weren't yours anymore.  It felt better to talk with a ball in your hand, it felt better to let the ball do the talking.  But the world, the nonbaseball world, the world of love and sex and jobs and friends, was made of words.

Au Wetish College , petite université sur les rives du lac Michigan , Henry Skrimshander est devenu une véritable star du baseball: il conclut tous ses matches par un sans-faute . Jusqu'au jour où il rate un lancer facile . Son destin ainsi que celui de quatre personnes vont alors prendre un tour décisif.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316126691, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2011: Though The Art of Fielding is his fiction debut, Chad Harbach writes with the self-assurance of a seasoned novelist. He exercises a masterful precision over the language and pacing of his narrative, and in some 500 pages, there's rarely a word that feels out of place. The title is a reference to baseball, but Harbach's concern with sports is more than just a cheap metaphor. The Art of Fielding explores relationships--between friends, family, and lovers--and the unpredictable forces that complicate them. There's an unintended affair, a post-graduate plan derailed by rejection letters, a marriage dissolved by honesty, and at the center of the book, the single baseball error that sets all of these events into motion. The Art of Fielding is somehow both confident and intimate, simple yet deeply moving. Harbach has penned one of the year's finest works of fiction.--Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:13 -0400)

"At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for big-league stardom. But when a routine throw goes disastrously off course, the fates of five people are upended."--from publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible