Unlocked by Courtney Milan

Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:Courtney Milan (2011), Kindle Edition
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:****1/2
Tags:romance, historical romance, england, 1800s, kindle, novella, series, the turners

Unlocked by Courtney Milan (Author)

This was a short novella that had so much to offer. It dealt with something that I sure have not seen a lot of in historical romances before. And yes it seems to be a part of a series but it works well as a stand alone since I do not even know where it fits in the series.

The story was just wonderful and heartbreaking. Elaine was happy and sure of herself but her first season was horrible as she was being bullied and she become the eternal spinster that people made fun of, all because she sounded like a horse when she laughed. The person that started it all was Evan, he did not mean to since he actually liked her but it all went to hell, and they truly broke her down until she was a shadow of her former shelf. So yes my heart truly ached for poor Elaine as she hated the ton.

But this book takes place years after when Evan comes back since he ran away so he did not have to face what he had done. He wants to make amends but Elaine does not want to trust him, and who can blame her.

Could I have forgiven Evan? I do not know, he hurt her so badly and made her life hell. I am not going to say what happen but since we all know there is a HEA, I can only say that I forgave him bit by bit. He is truly heartbroken over what he done and the things he does now, well, my heart did melt.

Conclusion:
This was a truly wonderful novella that I do recommend to all historical romance fans. It is a look at the scene back then and how words could break someone, so much that no one wanted to touch you afterwards. If Milan always writes like this then I do want more.

blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
pretty pretty short story, I loved it! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This is a short story but i liked it very much. It revolves around a young girl that was made the social pariah on her first season out by a young man that couldn't face the fact that he liked her. Shortly after he leaves London. The story moves forward a few years when he returns more mature and this time around more secure in himself but the damage was already done.... ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
This was just...silly. And not in a delightful, zany madcap way, but rather in the way where you start to feel your intelligence has been insulted. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |

A perpetual wallflower destined for spinsterhood, Lady Elaine Warren is resigned to her position in society. So when Evan Carlton, the powerful, popular Earl of Westfeld, singles her out upon his return to England, she knows what it means. Her former tormenter is up to his old tricks, and she’s his intended victim. This time, though, the earl is going to discover that wallflowers can fight back.

Evan has come to regret his cruel, callow past. At first, he only wants to make up for past wrongs. But when Elaine throws his initial apology in his face, he finds himself wanting more. And this time, what torments him might be love…

Unlocked is a novella of 28,000 words (about 111 pages).

-Amazon

"A perpetual wallflower destined for spinsterhood, Lady Elaine Warren is resigned to her position in society. So when Evan Carlton, the powerful, popular Earl of Westfeld, singles her out upon his return to England, she knows what it means. Her former tormenter is up to his old tricks, and she's his intended victim. This time, though, the earl is going to discover that wallflowers can fight back. Evan has come to regret his cruel, callow past. At first, he only wants to make up for past wrongs. But when Elaine throws his initial apology in his face, he finds himself wanting more. And this time, what torments him might be love ..."--from cover, p. [4]… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

22 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,308,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible