Winning Ugly: Mental Warfare in…

Winning Ugly: Mental Warfare in Tennis--Lessons from a Master

by Brad Gilbert, Steve Jamison

Other authors: Andre Agassi (Contributor)

I read this years ago, when I was just starting to get serious about tennis and thought it was a great book. I decided to re-read it now, because I've been promoted into a division with some *really* good tennis players and I can use all the help I can get. I found the advice, this time, less helpful. Don't get me wrong, this is a fun and interesting book to read. But, basically, you can boil the advice down to "try this, and if it doesn't work, try something else". OK. That's pretty much what I try to do. I doesn't always result in "winning tennis", but-I admit--it can be ugly. ( )
  co_coyote | Mar 28, 2010 |
Before reading this book I had the talent, but I did not have the head to succeed. Gilbert and Jamison give a play the tools he or she will need t win no matter what the circumstances are. The book shows that a player can always find a way to win. The book will also teach the reader how to deal with gamesmanship. Gamesmanship is when your opponent is doing everything in their power to get inside your head. Some examples of this are cheating, yelling, and using the time to their advantage. While reading this book I was able to learn a lot about myself as a player. As I was reading I was able to figure out what my own mental strengths and weaknesses are on the court. After the completion of this book I saw a great improvement in my game. The real examples Gilbert gives from when he was a player gave me a sense of comfort while reading the book. I knew that the man that was writing really knows what he is talking about. A great example of this was the chapter about the masters, when Gilbert played Connors. This book is not supposed to be about improving a players physical skills; it is strictly mental. I recommend this book to everyone that plays competitive tennis. The book will give you an unbelievable understanding for the game. Also, when you are in certain situations recommended in the book think about Gilberts experiences. The book is definitely worth five stars. ( )
  ucla148 | Nov 13, 2009 |
This book won't help your tennis strokes or any other technical aspect of your game, but it will address the strategy behind the game. The big focus is on knowing your opponents and your own game, knowing the strengths and weaknesses that become apparent during matches, and how to exploit what you observe. There is also emphasis on the mental game of tennis, which includes keeping your cool, dealing with gamemanship, and keeping focus.
The book is organized in quick, easy to read chapters, with Gilbert's real-life examples, followed up with a closer look on how to apply his principles to your own game.
Overall, a great, well-written book that will give the serious tennis player food for thought, and ideas to bring into your own game. ( )
  ironicqueery | Jun 27, 2008 |
Although there is clearly some prodding that occurs in these forums between McEnroe and Gilbert, it's a engaging and thorough treatment of the scrappy, mental side of the game. ( )
  jpsnow | Mar 4, 2008 |

Brad Gilbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jamison, Stevemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Agassi, AndreContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067188400X, Paperback)

He's been called the best in the world at the mental game of tennis. Brad Gilbert's strokes may not be pretty, but looks aren't everything. He has beaten the Tour's biggest names -- all by playing his "ugly" game.

Now, in Winning Ugly Gilbert teaches recreational players how to win more often without necessarily even changing their strokes. The key to success, he says, is to become a better thinking player -- to recognize, analyze, and capitalize. That means outthinking opponents before, during, and after a match; forcing him or her to play your game. Gilbert's unconventional advice includes:

* How to identify the seven "Hidden Ad Points," and what to do when they come up

* Six reasons why you should never serve first

* How to beat a Lefty, a Retriever, a Serve-Volley player, and other troublesome opponents

* How to keep a lead, or stop a match from slipping away

* How to handle psyching and gamesmanship

Winning Ugly is an invaluable combat manual for the court, and its tips include "some real gems," according to Tennis magazine. Ultimately, Winning Ugly will help you beat players who have been beating you.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:01 -0400)

Advice from a pro on how to improve your tennis game lists the six reasons never to serve first and covers psychological aspects of the game.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible