The Lion's Paw by Robb White

The Lion's Paw (1946)

by Robb White

Penny and Nick are in an orphanage in Florida. She is 12 and he 9. They run away and go on a sailboat adventure. ( )
  pgabj | Jul 1, 2018 |
Def. worth reprinting. An exciting adventure, timeless in its appeal. For both boys and girls, ages 7 to 17. Good lessons about everything from sailing to courage to freedom and friendship and family. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Mrs. Kantor read this book, chapter by chapter, to my fourth grade class. I couldn't wait to find out how it ended and before the first week was over I had it checked out of the local library. I loved it so much that 20 years later I had to run down a copy for myself.

Perhaps it is because I was born in Florida and have a deep love for the version of it I never saw -- pre-Disney, pre-theme parks, pre-space program, when it was a winter destination, an exotic land for citrus fruit and winter strawberries, cattle country, horse country, beautiful beaches and dangerous swamplands. That's the Florida we glimpse in this book, the Florida of the 1940s.

Perhaps it is those three children on a sailboat searching for family, pitting themselves against the adult world that doesn't understand them, and the elements which continue on regardless of them. The faith they have in each other and in the miracle that they believe will happen if they can find the elusive Lion's Paw seashell draws me back to the story time after time.

I'm not sure, exactly. I just know I like to go there, just like I did in fourth grade. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |
I first read this book when I was in elementary school. I recently (18+ years later) thought to check it out from the library. When I re-read it, I fell in love all over again (I had to hunt it down and buy it on Amazon). It is a (very) well written book about a brother and sister who want to run away from the orphanage they live in. On their escape they find a boat to hide out in. The 'owner' happens to be a boy just a little older than they who wants to rescue said boat from his uncle w/ whom he lives. Long story short, they take a treacherous and exciting journey through the swamps and rivers of Florida to reach Sanibel Island to locate the Lion's Paw - a shell that Ben (the boy with the boat) share's a special story with his dad. The book is rife with Florida history and wonderful relationships. I LOVE this book!!! :-D ( )
  MonkysPaw | Apr 16, 2011 |
For a book to stick in my mind after many many years and many many books , It has to be very good or very bad! This falls into the very good! I read it when first came out( stop counting the years) and reread it numerous times since. I have also had all my kids read it. One of those books all kids should read at least once. ( )
  mcclean_ | Apr 20, 2008 |

Penny and Nick find adventure as they help fellow runaway orphan Ben in his search for his father.

The story of three children--two orphans and 15-year-old Ben--who commandeer Ben's sloop, the Lion's Paw, to escape their pursuers. As they blend their skills and strengths to overcome all sorts of new challenges and hardships, they learn to trust each other, work as a team, ignore pain, have fun, and never give up!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,914,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible