Lance Armstrong's War: One Man's Battle…

Lance Armstrong's War: One Man's Battle Against Fate, Fame, Love, Death,…

by Daniel Coyle

237None48,387 (3.7)None
Armstrong (6) bicycles (3) bike (2) biking (4) biography (19) cancer (4) coaching (2) cycling (37) ethics (2) fame (2) history (2) inspiration (2) inspirational (2) Lance (2) Lance Armstrong (15) library (3) NF (2) non-fiction (17) novel (2) profile (2) race (3) racing (2) scandal (3) sport (9) sports (19) to-read (3) Tour de France (9) training (4) unread (2) wielrennen (4)

Really liked this book...it was honest. And since Le Tour is going on right now it seemed an appropriate book to read! ( )
  wendytrim | Jul 16, 2011 |
Don't you just love biographies? This book not only display LA as a person with all his strengths and flaws, but it also opened up my eyes to sport of cycling. The page kept turning, I just couldn't put the book down. ( )
  enochboy | Aug 18, 2009 |
The author, Daniel Coyle, moved in with Armstrong during the year preceding his 6th win at the Tour de France. I'm a huge LA fan, active in the cancer advocacy movement, so don't try to badmouth LA in front of me without expecting me to argue a bit.

But Coyle accomplishes true balanced reporting here. The book is riviting, the pages turn effortlessly, as he introduces us to Lance's obsessive training regimen and the day-to-day life of readying his body for the grueling ride.

What I loved most here is that Armstrong comes off as real, not all good, not all bad. He's no god, he's flawed like the rest of us. But Coyle truly captures the complexity of the man, as well as the sport. ( )
  ilovebooksdlk | May 17, 2009 |
The best thing is that the book is not strictly about Lance, but the stories of many athletes that struggle to make it in cycling and the atmosphere of the sport and Tour de France. The author's interjections are not an annoyance, but a colorful and humorous insight into endurance sports, but then again I also appreciate Hurricane Bob.
  booknivorous | Dec 28, 2006 |
At one time I idolized Lance -- I don't know. Is he a good guy or not? I found this author inserted his own (slightly annoying)personality into this book a bit too much. ( )
  jhowell | Dec 22, 2006 |

Lance Armstrong's War is the extraordinary story of greatness pushed to its limits; a vivid behind-the-scenes portrait of perhaps the most accomplished athlete of our time as he competes in the toughest sporting event on the planet. The incomparable will to win that famously lifted Armstrong beyond his humble Texas roots, beyond cancer, and to unparalleled heights of success is revealed by acclaimed journalist Daniel Coyle in new and startling dimensions. It is the true story of a superlative sports figure fighting on all fronts -- made newly vulnerable by age, fate, fame, doping allegations, a painful divorce, and an unprecedented army of challengers -- while mastering the exceedingly difficult trick of being Lance Armstrong, a combination of world-class athlete, celebrity, regular guy, and, for many Americans, secular saint.

A fascinating journey through the little-known landscape of professional cycling, Lance Armstrong's War provides a hugely insightful look into the often inspiring, always surprising core of a remarkable athlete and the world that shapes him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:53 -0400)

Recounts Armstrong's efforts to win his sixth Tour de France, describing his renewed training efforts after a near loss in 2003, his efforts to rebuild after a divorce, and the competitive factors that particularly challenged his 2004 season.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible