The Elementary Forms of Religious Life…

The Elementary Forms of Religious Life (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1912; edition 2008)

by Emile Durkheim

Member:katycat
Title:The Elementary Forms of Religious Life (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Emile Durkheim
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2008), Edition: abridged edition, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:_inventoried, _nf

The Elementary Forms of Religious Life by Emile Durkheim (1912)

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
This is one of the most important works from the key founder of the formal study of society. Durkheim's work also influenced psychology and particularly Jung. Durkheim is an impressive observer and thinker and this was an enormous work in its day and still remains influential. ( )
  Chickenman | Sep 12, 2018 |

I should stop readng the classic works on religion and culture, because I always end up disappointed. In this classic anthropological analysis from the first years of the twentieth century, Durkheim generalises from studies of the totem cults of Australia to conclude that pretty much all intellectual concepts, including scientific theories as well as notions of God and religion, can be examined as socially constructed phenomena. While sympathetic to the conclusion (having studied the history and philosophy of science in a past life) I was not terribly excited by the journey Durkheim takes to get there. His methodology straddles what today would be fairly clearly demarcated territory between philosophy and anthropology, and I found this mixture of concepts frustrating. More specifically, the Australian worshippers (particularly the women) are never given their own voice; we hear only what white anthropologists think of them. A pioneering work, perhaps, but I rather hope that things have moved on in the last century. ( )
1 vote nwhyte | Aug 25, 2012 |

Emile Durkheimprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fields, Karen E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Karen Fields has given us a splendid new translation of the greatest work of sociology ever written, one we will not be embarrassed to assign to our students. In addition she has written a brilliant and profound introduction. The publication of this translation is an occasion for general celebration, for a veritable 'collective effervescence.'

-- Robert N. Bellah Co-author of Habits of the Heart, and editor of Emile Durkheim on Morality and Society

"This superb new translation finally allows non-French speaking American readers fully to appreciate Durkheim's genius. It is a labor of love for which all scholars must be grateful."

--Lewis A. Coser

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

In this 1912 classic, a founder of modern sociology seeks the enduring source of human social identity. p9smile Durkheim presents a remarkably accessible examination of animism, naturism, totemism, myth, and ritual. His intriguing views and ultimate conclusion-that the source of religion and morality lies in collective consciousness, rather than in individual minds-remains a topic of debate among sociologists, anthropologists, ethnographers, philosophers, and theologians. Durkheim edited L'Anne Sociologique, the first journal of sociology, and was instrumental in establishing the field as a social science. With The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life, he explores totemism among Australia's Aborigines, offering the opportunity "to yield an understanding of the religious nature of man, by showing us an essential and permanent aspect of humanity." Durkheim's study focuses on the need and capacity of humans to relate to one another socially, with religion as the core of the moral universe. An excellent introduction to the influential sociologist's ideas, this book continues to speak to new generations about the intriguing origin and nature of religion and society.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,764,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible