dismiss

I Want My Hat Back (2011)

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (1)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.
Recently added byprivate library, Alexa12, imlee, AshleyVanessaGG, leezeebee, WildRumpusSchool, KFSonshine

English (244)  French (1)  All languages (245)
Darker than anticipated. I thought it was hilarious, but it may be concerning to some. ( )
  emaoping | Jun 28, 2020 |
I found the ending extreme and disturbing. ( )
  Tarawyn | Jun 26, 2020 |
A very ironic picture storybook about how the character loses his hat and looks everywhere for it. ( )
  Jessyalvarez | Feb 20, 2020 |
A bear has lost his hat. What is he never sees it again? WAIT! He HAS seen his hat...
  wichitafriendsschool | Nov 28, 2019 |
Bear has lost his hat, and he really wants it back. He goes around asking everyone he meets if they have seen his hat. For that matter, have you seen his hat?

I Want My Hat Back is one of those great picture books that I truly enjoyed reading . . . even while I have some reservations about giving it to kids to read. I’ll discuss that in a bit. But first, the things I adored about this book. For starters, Klassen’s art style is just fabulous–simple and straightforward but with a softness that makes me want to just pet the animals. And the dialogue is perfect for the 3-5 age range; the words are simple, and you’ve got a repetitive theme with subtle variations so it doesn’t get too boring. Then you’ve got the one huge exception to the repetition–only, it’s disguised to look just like all the other interactions. It’s a fun something for kids to try to catch and a humorous inside-joke upon re-reading. Which leads us to the ending and the love/hate reaction I have to it. At the risk of totally giving spoilers for a kids’ picture book: the bear eats the rabbit who stole his hat then acts all shifty and lies when someone asks about the rabbit later. Which, when reading the story, it basically darkly hilarious, since it’s a perfect mirror of how the rabbit acted when bear asked about his hat. Trouble is, as a responsible adult who’s trying to teach kids honesty and values, I’m then conflicted . . . . I guess, read the book yourself and decide if it’s appropriate for your kids personally. But yeah, for myself, I found I Want My Hat Back to be mostly charming and darkly funny. ( )
  Honyasbookshelf | Oct 31, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

My Hat (1)
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,016,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible