I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen

I Want My Hat Back (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (1)

Member:bnlmoore
Title:I Want My Hat Back
Authors:Jon Klassen
Info:Walker Childrens Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:revenge, dilogue

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)

A bear realizes his hat is missing and goes to look for it. He meets a fox, frog, rabbit, turtle, beaver, deer and snake in his search, and asks each of them if they have seen it. None of them has. Then he realizes that the rabbit (who answered defensively that he would not steal a hat) was actually wearing it. He confronts the rabbit and recovers his hat. A squirrel happens by and asks if he's seen a rabbit with a red hat. He answers defensively that he would not eat a rabbit. The end.

Okay, some parents may have concerns with this book. Not only does one animal eat another animal, but the bear's revenge is far disproportional to the rabbit's offense. It makes a lousy moral story. But it's not a moral story - it's a joke, and a more complex one than you usually find at this reading level. The irony of both characters defensively lying in a way that betrays their own guilt is screamingly hilarious to elementary-aged children (at least once they understand the joke). The illustrations aren't spectacular, but the well-crafted, meticulously timed humor is really worth reading. It's even told in simple enough words that early readers can handle it alone.
  eyelevelbooks | Nov 19, 2014 |
I love this book. It has a simple yet deadpan humor that appeals to all ages. Another part of this book that I love is the artwork. The bear and other animals in the story always look the same unless feeling strong emotion (when the bear realizes where he saw his hat). This plays into the deadpan humor of the book. The main character repeats the phrase "Have you seen my hat" to many of the forest creatures. When he realizes that one of them has lied to him his eyes pop open and the background page turns a dark red. Young children will love this book as well as older readers. There is no central message behind this book except perhaps don't steal a bear's hat or he will eat you. All in all this book is wonderful and one that I would gladly read again and again. ( )
  MattM50 | Nov 18, 2014 |
I love love love they way Klassen draws his animals, they are beautiful yet simple. This would be nice book to discuss losing things or misplacing or borrowing and not giving back to K-1st graders. The ending is whimsical!
  alexanderkai | Nov 18, 2014 |
I want my hat back is an adorably funny story about a bear that can’t find his hat. He keeps looking for it and is afraid he will never find it then he realizes he has seen his hat and a crazy turn of events happen. I loved this book! This book is such an adorable and funny book. I loved this book for two reasons, the way it was written and the illustrations. The book is written it a way that adds such humor that you can’t help but laugh and love this book. It pulls the reader in and captivates you. An example of this is seen when the bear first realizes he has actually seen his hat. A deer asks “What the matter?” The bear then explains that he has lost his hat and nobody has seen it. The deer then asks what his hat looks like, just when the bear begins to explain he realizes he has seen it! The reader right then remembers that they have seen it too. This in my opinion adds suspense and humor because the reader understands at the same moment the bear does. I feel this kind of humor makes the story what it is. The author also writes the book in a way in which words aren’t needed and the reader can just rely on the illustrations. An example is seen when the bear is going back to get his hat. The author doesn’t tell you that’s what the bear is doing but the reader can infer it because earlier the bear said he saw his hat and in the illustration the bear is running past all the people who he asked if they saw his hat. In my opinion this was a unique aspect of the book and something I feel made the story extra special. I also loved this book because of the illustrations. The illustrations in my opinion added to the story and helped to give the story even more humor then it already had. The illustrations are hand drawn and are cut out as if they were drawn on a separate page then glued to the page in the book. I liked this because I feel it added to the story. I liked this aspect of the illustrations but what I feel made the story better was the color used in the illustrations. Throughout the whole book the author uses the colors of his drawings to evoke emotion in the reader. An example of this is seen when the bear realizes he has seen his hat, the whole page is colored red, the color of the bear’s hat. I loved that the author did this because I felt it heighten the story line and added humor to the story, even more than there already was. Overall this was an amazing, one of a kind book that portrays the overall message that if you love something it will eventually come back to you. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Nov 9, 2014 |
Book used for Visual Literacy assignment. ( )
  kberryman44 | Nov 4, 2014 |
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

A picture-book delight by a rising talent tells a cumulative tale with a mischievous twist.

The bear s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:02 -0400)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible