I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen

I Want My Hat Back (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (1)

Member:bnlmoore
Title:I Want My Hat Back
Authors:Jon Klassen
Info:Walker Childrens Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:revenge, dilogue

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)

This is a simple story about theft and retribution (one animals eats another) with a nice touch of humor. A bear is missing his hat and asks other animals if they have seen it. It turns out one of the animals was wearing it and thus it meets its end. The drawings are simple but do the job nicely.
  jh33 | Dec 13, 2014 |
This is another of Jon's simple books, both in artwork and in story. I loved the idea of using this book in a classroom to have children emulate his artwork and create their own "I want my ________ back!" with their own missing article of clothing. The artwork is very striking in it's easiness. All I wanted to do when I finished this book was look for more of his work. This has pushed me to follow him on twitter as well as read through his blog. His books would be a great addition to a classroom library.
  InstantLaila | Dec 6, 2014 |
A bear realizes his hat is missing and goes to look for it. He meets a fox, frog, rabbit, turtle, beaver, deer and snake in his search, and asks each of them if they have seen it. None of them has. Then he realizes that the rabbit (who answered defensively that he would not steal a hat) was actually wearing it. He confronts the rabbit and recovers his hat. A squirrel happens by and asks if he's seen a rabbit with a red hat. He answers defensively that he would not eat a rabbit. The end.

Okay, some parents may have concerns with this book. Not only does one animal eat another animal, but the bear's revenge is far disproportional to the rabbit's offense. It makes a lousy moral story. But it's not a moral story - it's a joke, and a more complex one than you usually find at this reading level. The irony of both characters defensively lying in a way that betrays their own guilt is screamingly hilarious to elementary-aged children (at least once they understand the joke). The illustrations aren't spectacular, but the well-crafted, meticulously timed humor is really worth reading. It's even told in simple enough words that early readers can handle it alone.
  eyelevelbooks | Nov 19, 2014 |
I love this book. It has a simple yet deadpan humor that appeals to all ages. Another part of this book that I love is the artwork. The bear and other animals in the story always look the same unless feeling strong emotion (when the bear realizes where he saw his hat). This plays into the deadpan humor of the book. The main character repeats the phrase "Have you seen my hat" to many of the forest creatures. When he realizes that one of them has lied to him his eyes pop open and the background page turns a dark red. Young children will love this book as well as older readers. There is no central message behind this book except perhaps don't steal a bear's hat or he will eat you. All in all this book is wonderful and one that I would gladly read again and again. ( )
  MattM50 | Nov 18, 2014 |
I love love love they way Klassen draws his animals, they are beautiful yet simple. This would be nice book to discuss losing things or misplacing or borrowing and not giving back to K-1st graders. The ending is whimsical!
  alexanderkai | Nov 18, 2014 |
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

A picture-book delight by a rising talent tells a cumulative tale with a mischievous twist.

The bear s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:02 -0400)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,466,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible