I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud…

I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (1)

Member:dustygail
Title:I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick Press (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)

Preschool - Gr 2, Bear noticed something is missing. It’s something red, and it’s something that went on his head. He wants his hat back! Klassen’s characteristic illustrations made with soft hues and lines create a playful atmosphere. Bear goes on the search to find his hat, asking every one of his forest friends that he runs into, but the reader sees that Bear may not be the most observant. Klassen does a perfect job of pairing text with illustration to help further along Bear’s story. Looking for a playful and fun book to read aloud? This one will surely receive some well deserved giggles! ( )
  foresterk | Oct 2, 2014 |
I really do like Jon Klassen's sense of humor! This book was written before Klassen's Caldecott winner, THIS IS NOT MY HAT. While I did not like I WANT MY HAT BACK as much as the other book, this is still a great story. It is unexpected and makes you think!

I have read three Klassen-illustrated books in a row, and have also really come to appreciate his style of artwork. Most of the illustrations and text are told in colors of brown and beige. Except for a few things that are in red, which really makes them pop and also points out their importance to the story. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
A bear’s slight obsession with a hat, takes the audience on a humorous adventure. The text exhibits well-mannered habits, great for teaching young children the importance of manners. Together the writing and illustrations create laugh out loud scenes, appealing to an audience of all ages. ( )
  nfigue1 | Sep 25, 2014 |
This is a story about a bear wandering the woods looking for his hat. He asks different animals if they have seen it and all of them say no and seem to have a reasonable explanation. When he comes across a rabbit, the rabbit is very defensive and is wearing a pointy red hat. When the bear starts to give up he is asked by the deer what it looked like. When he described it he realized the rabbit had his hat! He runs back and takes his hat.
  acbanis | Aug 15, 2014 |
I Want My Hat Back is the story about a bear asking all sorts of different animals if they had seen his hat. Most have similar responses in that they had not indeed seen his hat, but in the end, he is returned to his beloved hat. The repetitiveness of this book really threw me for a loop. After the first few times I was really sick of the repetition, but after a while it got funnier and funnier. The comedic values of the book was also aided by the artwork and book design. The style of painting used in combination with the simplistic dialog and fonts made the story appear very bleak and dry, but that almost appears to be the kind of deadpan humor the author was going for. As far as uses in the classroom, I'm not quite sure where this book fits, but I could really see children enjoying it!
  qrennaker | Aug 13, 2014 |
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

A picture-book delight by a rising talent tells a cumulative tale with a mischievous twist.

The bear s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:02 -0400)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,313,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible