I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud…

I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (1)

Member:dustygail
Title:I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick Press (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)

Summary: A bear loses his hat and tries to get it back by asking a variety of woodland animals in the forest if they have seen it. The bear asks rabbit if he's seen his hat, but the rabbit says no even though he is wearing Bear's hat. When bear realizes, the character runs back through the book to confront rabbit.

Personal reflection: I liked this book a lot because it was the first picture book that I have read where the flow of the book is changed when the bear runs backwards, back through the pages. I thought this was really unique and the story is very easy to keep interested with.

Class use: Text set for confronting others, read aloud and discuss if the students would have gone back for their hat and ask students to write a paragraph about things that have been stolen from them and how they have confronted their problems.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 28, 2015 |
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Word 1: Hat, Word 2: Honesty
I chose these two words to summarize the book because I believe that in the end the message of the book came down to these two points. In the book the bear wanted his hat back, and that was a main focus. Because this was such an important factor in the book, essentially the entire purpose of the story, I thought that "hat" deserved to be one of the words. In addition I chose the word "honesty" because I think this book teaches a lesson of honesty. They always say that lies will come back to you, and that is exactly what happened with the bear and the rabbit. It is important to always tell the truth, and not to steal. ( )
  sommerkirk | Apr 21, 2015 |
This modern fantasy book is very funny! It is fun to read with different voices for each animal. In this book, a bear is searching around the forest for his hat. He talks to all different animals in search for his hat, until he decides to give up, but he remembers that he saw the rabbit wearing his hat, so he goes backs and gets it. That is all that there is to this story, and not much else. I can't think of any educational purpose to reading this book, but it is fun, so I would probably read it at the end of a crazy day, or just in my free time in the class. ( )
  amassingale | Apr 21, 2015 |
I laughed out loud several times as I read this book. It is simply a delight. ( )
  EliseMT | Mar 23, 2015 |
A bear has lost his hat and he wants it back.

I adore this book. It's lovely to see such wonderful use of illustrations as part of the story: the narrative just simply isn't complete unless the reader experiences both the words and the pictures. So many children's books have wonderful illustration of a story it's truly fantastic to find such an intriguing book where the illustrations really are the story. It also has a special place in my library as the first book I read my younger nephew (over skype shortly after it was published) and one of the first books he ever asked for by name. I will continue to enjoy reading "Hat Back" to him as long as he continues to ask for it to be read.

etborg | Mar 21, 2015 |
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

A picture-book delight by a rising talent tells a cumulative tale with a mischievous twist.

The bear s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:02 -0400)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,164,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible