I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud…

I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (1)

Member:dustygail
Title:I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick Press (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)

English (164)  French (1)  All languages (165)
Such a funny book! There were a few times where I laughed. I feel like the illustrations are a bit awkward by the posture of some of the animals, but that is what made is so funny for me. This would be a great read aloud book!
  katiegotur | Aug 4, 2016 |
I used this book to do a big group read aloud where they made some predictions about what would happen based on the title and cover. We talked though the inferences and why we suspected the rabbit and the bear of being guilty, then did a turn and talk about whether our predictions were accurate, why/not. ( )
  catherineparry | Jul 28, 2016 |
Jon Klassen's I Want My Hat Back is a wonderful minimalist story about a bear who has lost his hat and asks various animals in the forest if they have seen it. Klassen's illustrations give each animal a farcical deadpan expression, as though they were performing for the reader's enjoyment rather than existing in their own world. The premise itself is simple enough for parents to read with children who are old enough not to squirm away and has a rather dark joke at the end that will leave kids wondering why their parents are laughing. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Apr 26, 2016 |
I lost my hat once. I think I must've been eight-years old or something. I was walking with my Mom, Dad, and my older brother across a zoo's bridge and the wind had kicked up and its gust took my hat away from me and carried it downwards into the water below me, where crocodiles and gators were swimming. I remember the injustice of it all. I remember being mad at the wind too. I wanted my hat back. I was determined to take my hat back from the crocodiles and gators by force but my parents wouldn't let me, no matter how comfortable of a swimmer I insisted on being. So instead, I had to mope back to my car without my hat that was probably being eaten at that very moment. Oh, the injustice of it all. If only I had had some animals I could've asked for some help along the way. Anyway, I'm thankful that this bear had some help. And I'm thankful that he got his hat back. As for me? I still want my hat back. But I loved this story. ( )
  mrs.k.rippel | Apr 21, 2016 |
cute and funny, what else else can i say? Read it, IT will take 5 minutes!! ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

A picture-book delight by a rising talent tells a cumulative tale with a mischievous twist.

The bear s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible