I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud…

I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (1)

1,3272065,861 (4.41)28
Member:dustygail
Title:I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick Press (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)

English (204)  French (1)  All (205)
"I Want My Hat Back" plays out like a noir version of "Bear Has a Story to Tell." In both books a bear visits everyone in the forest and asks them a question, but in this book the bear is looking for his hat (and possibly some Roald Dahl-esque payback). Many kids enjoy some darkness in their picture books, and they also have an instinctive desire for justice and vengeance. I think tightly-wound parents are more likely to be disturbed by this book's climax and ending than the audience, which will likely hoot and cheer. That red page! I wonder if everyone my age hears the "Metal Gear Solid" alert sound in their head at that point. My girlfriend was rolling with laughter when I read it to her. ( )
  motorbuffalo | Jun 23, 2017 |
Adorable. I love it so much. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Don't take the bear's hat! He really likes that hat. The Bear goes around asking if anyone has seen his hat, and after passing it by, he realizes that it was the rabbit that stole his hat. Rabbit should have been a little more careful, because bears can eat rabbits up for lunch! ( )
  BrindelStubbs | Jun 12, 2017 |
There is a bear who is looking for his lost hat. After asking many creatures if they have seen a hat, he realizes that he has already asked a creature who has his hat. He went to take back his hat and ended up punishing the perpetrator.
  sam91h | Jun 12, 2017 |
Poor bear's hat has gone missing. He searches all over the forest asking the animals if they have seen his hat. Though everybody says they have not seen his hat, one animal seems particularly guilty and has a hard time hiding it. This story is great for teaching students the skill of inferencing as they figure out who took bear's hat. It is ideal for upper elementary students, however lower elementary students would enjoy the silly story as well. ( )
  Cayetlin_Hardeman | May 1, 2017 |
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

A picture-book delight by a rising talent tells a cumulative tale with a mischievous twist.

The bear s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,103,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible