I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud…

I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (1)

83511910,789 (4.4)18
Member:dustygail
Title:I Want My Hat Back (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick Press (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)

This is a story about a bear wandering the woods looking for his hat. He asks different animals if they have seen it and all of them say no and seem to have a reasonable explanation. When he comes across a rabbit, the rabbit is very defensive and is wearing a pointy red hat. When the bear starts to give up he is asked by the deer what it looked like. When he described it he realized the rabbit had his hat! He runs back and takes his hat.
  acbanis | Aug 15, 2014 |
I Want My Hat Back is the story about a bear asking all sorts of different animals if they had seen his hat. Most have similar responses in that they had not indeed seen his hat, but in the end, he is returned to his beloved hat. The repetitiveness of this book really threw me for a loop. After the first few times I was really sick of the repetition, but after a while it got funnier and funnier. The comedic values of the book was also aided by the artwork and book design. The style of painting used in combination with the simplistic dialog and fonts made the story appear very bleak and dry, but that almost appears to be the kind of deadpan humor the author was going for. As far as uses in the classroom, I'm not quite sure where this book fits, but I could really see children enjoying it!
  qrennaker | Aug 13, 2014 |
Interesting picture book. I have mixed emotions about it. I liked that the book surprised me, but I didn't like that the bear lied and was revengeful at the end. ( )
  rachelmuegge | Jul 23, 2014 |
  lulaa | Jul 4, 2014 |
I actually read these books backwards - I read This Is Not My Hat first and then loving that one, read I Want My Hat Back. Both have simple yet eye catching illustrations. And I love the rabbit wearing the hat being like, "No. Why are you asking me?" However, this one was a little less obviously violent at the end and gave the whole book a much darker, less playful feel. I definitely prefer This Is Not My Hat. ( )
  mccooln | Jun 8, 2014 |
For Will and Justin
My hat is gone. I want it back.

A picture-book delight by a rising talent tells a cumulative tale with a mischievous twist.

The bear s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:02 -0400)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,657,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible