Beekeeping for Beginners [short story] by…

Beekeeping for Beginners [short story] (2011)

by Laurie R. King

133None89,763 (3.86)27

I wasn't very impressed by this book. It was missing the spark that I find in the original Sherlock Holmes stories. The fictional Twitter interview at the end of the book was absolutely terrible (here's a taste: "OK 4 LRK 2 giv me yr contact info?" Ugh!! It was even referred to as a "twinterview". Lame.) - but I don't think that it's fair to let that affect my rating of the book. I've read other reviews which indicate that this effort was less successful than the other books, so I might decide to give the series another shot at some point. ( )
  ScribbleKey | Jan 10, 2014 |
This is a novella in the Mary Russell series, of which there about a dozen books to date. In them King gives Sherlock Holmes a female counterpart and professional and, eventually, romantic partner in the unlikely person of Mary Russell, a Jewish American forty years younger. She sets all these tales after 1914, when the last of the Arthur Conan Doyle originals were penned. This particular story is set in the time frame of the first novel in the series, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. I don't know if someone unfamiliar with the series would be charmed, but I sure was. It was a lot of fun, particularly since the series is almost always from Mary's point of view, so it was great getting Holmes perspective for once. My only complaint was that it was all too short--only 60 pages. Especially considering that aside from seeking out the short story "Mrs Hudson's Case" I'm afraid I now have to withstand the pangs of withdrawal. No more Mary Russell for me until the new book by King due in early 2015. At least this one left me grinning. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 31, 2013 |
No real new information when it comes to the characters or plot history. It just tells the meeting of Holmes and Russell from Holmes' perspective. A nice short audiobook to listen to while doing some chores around the office. ( )
  akswede | Oct 14, 2013 |
Beekeeping for Beginners by Laurie R. King was originally published as an online novella and ebook for fans of her Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series. Recorded books then released an audio version, read by Robert Ian MacKenzie.

Although in publication order this book is the eleventh, chronologically it's a retelling of the early events in The Beekeeper's Apprentice. In the originally, everything is told from Mary's point of view. As this novella reveals, she isn't a very reliable narrator as she glosses over the details of her meeting with Sherlock and the events immediately following.

This time we are given two points of view: that of Sherlock and of his housekeeper who has followed him to the countryside in his retirement. Having Sherlock's version helps to explain some of his enigmatic behavior early on. Sure, he's canonically off-putting but he seems even off for himself. Now we get the other side of the conversation and it's heartbreaking. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 8, 2013 |

A long short story or a short novella, this offering to fans of the Russell / Holmes series fits takes place in the timeframe of the first novel in the series, [b:The Beekeepers Apprentice|11643682|The Beekeepers Apprentice|Laurie King|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|16587742]. It is essentially in two parts. The first part deals with the meeting of Russell and Holmes from the point of view of Holmes. The second part recounts an episode which occurs later in the timeline of the novel, which Russell could not have known about because the novel is written in the first person, from Russell's perspective.

The narrative shifts from first person to third person. In principle, this is not something to which I object. However, the technique is not very effective here, possibly because the work is so brief that the switch from first person to third person makes the narrative feel choppy.

Still, this is a delight for fans of the series. (Although even fans may find the "Twitter interview" at the back of the work something of a yawn!) Those who are waiting to be converted should read [b:The Beekeepers Apprentice|11643682|The Beekeepers Apprentice|Laurie King|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|16587742] first. ( )
  KimMR | Apr 2, 2013 |
To the new bee
Any reasonable man may reach a point in his life where self-destruction becomes a door worthy of consideration. A point at which it seems that the least a walking anachronism can do for the world is to remove himself from cluttering the landscape.
There's nothing quite so handy as a nice controlled explosive device.
Rule One of surveillance is the same as that for beekeeping: Remain calm. Attitude is all, when it comes to disguise. If one does not emanate tension - rather, if one only emanates the diffuse tension of any ordinary city-dweller - even a suspicious eye will not snag upon one's figure.

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible