I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I…

I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I Was) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Bill Cosby

Member:Mithril
Title:I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I Was)
Authors:Bill Cosby
Info:Center Street (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Humour

I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I Was) by Bill Cosby (2011)

Like most people, I enjoy the comedy of Bill Cosby. However, I was disappointed by this book. I've waited a few weeks since finishing it because I wanted to find the best way to explain what I didn't like about it.
The answer came to me just yesterday while listening to an interview where two comedians were discussing the greatness of Bill Cosby. They discussed his use of timing, intonation, inflection, and facial expressions.
And that is what is missing from this book. The stories are mildly humorous but need the great Bill Cosby to bring them to life.
In short - for me, his humor does not come across very well on the page. ( )
  Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
Cos is still Cos - funniest guy on the planet ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
Quite a few chuckles and overall a pleasant read. ( )
  Mithril | Mar 12, 2013 |
It is hard to write a humor book. It is not easy to be funny chapter after chapter. That is the case of this book. There are some funny chapters. The first three stories, Me and Marcia, Bernadette (a classic), and the Thre Morphamization of Peanut Armhouse (another classic that should be turned into a cartoon with Bill Cosby voicing the story from the book), are worth the read. There are also some short essays, My Son's First Bad Word and My Single Daughter are good. Others like Too Late for Me But Not for You, and Children Aren't Your Friends are worth a read. The book is uneven. I was upset when the author referenced his other books in stories. Nevertheless, one of the pictures has someone reading this book in a laundrymat. I took it to a laundry mat and read it. You will laugh out loud if you want to read it while doing your laundry. ( )
  seki | Jul 11, 2012 |
Who Me? Miss this? Why? Optimistic Extraordinary!

Bill Cosby’s “I Didn’t Ask to Be Born (But I’m Glad I Was)” is life as everyone experiences it but few take time to note it. How we perceive our circumstances has value as a learning tool if we are able to find humor in some of the things that are ‘hard pills to take’ when originally experienced.

This book is something that makes you laugh out loud because only you can know what you are laughing about. Cosby gives us circumstances that make us remember our own characters, situations, and events while imputing humor in what may have been a serious, sobering thing when first experienced. This is an idea compendium to read while on a flight, on a bus, waiting in line or anywhere where the passage of time is moot but necessary as it is guaranteed to deliver you to your destination in good spirits and uplifted.

Reviewed by: Gail ( )
  OOSABookClub | Jan 29, 2012 |
This is a book with which everyone can identify on some level; it is humor at its best. Highly recommended.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Richard A. Dickey (Oct 1, 2011)

Bill Cosbyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Booth, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In this hilarious collection of observations, Cosby brings us more of his wonderful and wacky insights into the human condition that are sure to become classics. In the tradition of Fat Albert, I DIDN'T ASK TO BE BORN offers a host of new characters, including Peanut Armhouse and Old Mother Harold. Not since Mushmouth, Dumb Donald, Bucky and the Cosby Kids has there been such a memorable cast.

Over the past century few entertainers have achieved the legendary status of William H. Cosby Jr. His success spans five decades and virtually all media-remarkable accomplishments for a kid who emerged from humble beginnings in a Philly housing project.

In the tradition of his bestselling books, Fatherhood and Cosbyology, the doctor of comedy holds forth on everything from first love to the Bible. Bill Cosby may not have asked to be born, but we're sure glad he was.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:20 -0400)

The legendary entertainer and funnyman provides insights on life including how to handle a teenage daughter who refuses to clean her room and a discussion of his antique Bible collection.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible