Hell To Pay by Simon R. Green

Enjoyable book in a long-running series greatly enhanced by the narration of of Marc Vietor.
In this book, John Taylor is asked to look into the kidnapping of the granddaughter of an immortal, ruthless businessman in the Nightside.
Susie is not involved in this book and John is left on his own to investigate a very mixed up, nasty, confused family. without the benefit of his talent, which seems to be shut down every time he attempts to use it.
The usual black humour mixed in with the mystery. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
I thought this was the least captivating of his nightside series so far. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
This installment was a bit slow compared to the previous. I had no clue where Green would take the series after the defeat of Lilith.
I was honestly under the impression that the series would be done after that. I really am glad that the story has continued.
In this one John Taylor takes a case from the Griffin, the Nightside's immortal family to find the kidnapped family heir. It was interesting to read the steps of PI work. It was hysterically humorous to read about Dead Boy again; he makes excellent points of life and death. On to the next one now.
Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Originally posted at Fanlit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/hell-to-pay/

Hell to Pay, the seventh novel in Simon R. Green??s NIGHTSIDE series, takes a turn in tone. For the past few installments John Taylor has been dealing with his mother, Lilith, who brought an epic war to the Nightside. Now the war is over and thereƒ??s a power vacuum. Jeremiah Griffin, a rich powerful immortal man, plans to fill the void. During his machinations, though, his granddaughter disappears, having apparently been kidnapped. Griffin needs John Taylor, the man who can find anything, to get her back. This is normally an easy thing for Taylor to do, but something seems to be blocking his power. Now John has to do his job the hard way ƒ?? by pounding the streets and looking for clues. That isnƒ??t easy, but it is interesting, because Griffinƒ??s family, who are all suspects, have a lot of secrets to hide.

Fans of the NIGHTSIDE series (who, I guess, are the only ones who would actually be reading Hell to Pay or, for that matter, this review) who enjoyed the epicness of the last few books may feel like Hell to Pay is a little light. Itƒ??s much more like the first couple of books in the series. I, however, welcomed the end of the war and Johnƒ??s return to his gumshoe days. Now, instead of going back and forth in time, heƒ??s meeting some real weirdos and exploring some shady places in the Nightside that weƒ??ve never seen before. These are the things that Simon R. Green does best.

In Hell to Pay, besides all the usual suspects (e.g. Suzie Shooter, Dead Boy, Walker, etc.) we meet Dracula, the bizarre Griffin family and their butler, a one-man exploding cabaret act, and (my favorite) a Christian terrorist organization called the Salvation Army Sisterhood (nuns who ƒ??sin to put an end to sinningƒ?). We also visit a drag club and hear radio broadcasts from Hell.

As I mentioned, weirdness is what Simon R. Green does best. All of the little parts of his world, and the people who populate it, are quirky and wild and fun. But when it comes to actual world building, things donƒ??t quite match up. Green has a habit of introducing, in each book, someone or something even more dangerous/powerful/epic than weƒ??ve ever seen before, and telling us itƒ??s the most dangerous/powerful/epic thing in the Nightside. An author can only do that so many times before I start suspecting that heƒ??s not telling the truth. (For example, why had we never heard of the powerful immortal Griffins before this novel?) Clearly, the new introductions in each book are there to ratchet up the tension. It works, I suppose, but not very smoothly.

A related issue is that there is always some reason why Taylor cannot use his powers. In the past, this was because his enemies could find him when he used his gift. That seemed legitimate, but now that the war is over and the enemies are no longer a threat, there has to be some other agency that blocks Taylorƒ??s power simply to create the tension the story needs. Also, I thought that John Taylor was supposed to be the most powerful person in the Nightside, but we keep finding out that there are other agencies that are more powerful than he is. Is he, or isnƒ??t he the most powerful person in the Nightside? The answer seems to depend on what the plot needs at the moment. Readers who just want to read about Greenƒ??s quirky characters and his bizarre setting are probably happy to overlook these little problems and, for the most part, Iƒ??m happy to do the same. But readers who want to immerse themselves in a fantasy world might like to know that this one is a little hard to believe in.

I listened to the audio version narrated by Marc Vietor, who is always awesome. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This is the first book after the Lilith War - and I liked it. It goes back to the beginning of the series - where John Taylor does a simple case, kills a lot of people, and solves the problem in a big, messy way.

Its a good book - not great. The motivation for John Taylor is missing - and the author is quite sure what to do next. I like this universe - But- you would think that there would only be so many powerful types. It seems like John always has old friends that have never been mentioned before to call upon. These books are formulaic, and there really isn't any surprises. But, it is a fun read and perfect for a dreary day reading. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 15, 2013 |
And follow darkness like a dream...
The boundaries of that dark and secret place, the Nightside, lie entirely contained within the city of London.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014607, Mass Market Paperback)

In the wake of the war that left the Nightside leaderless, Jeremiah Griffin-one of the last of the immortal human families-plans to fill the power vacuum. But his granddaughter has disappeared, and he wants John Taylor to use his special abilities to find her. Except someone-or something-is blocking Taylor's abilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

After the war that had left the Nightside leaderless, Jeremiah Griffin, head of one of the last immortal human families, plans to fill the power vacuum, but when his granddaughter vanishes, he is forced to enlist the assistance of John Taylor and his special talents to find her, but someone--or something--is blocking his abilities.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible