May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

May B. (2012)

by Caroline Starr Rose

2023058,111 (3.99)6

The story of Mavis (May B) who goes to be a companion (actually a maid) for a young wife who does NOT want to be living on the prairie in a sod house in the later 1800s. If you enjoyed Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, you will probably enjoy this. The book looks fairly thick, but the story is written in verse format and does not take nearly as long to read as one might expect. This looks like a fairly common occurrence for many new books. I wonder if they think they will sell more copies if the book is thick or if the authors really are writing them in this particular format.

I guess I do need to say that the blurb for the book is what enticed me to read it, NOT the cover. If I saw that cover at a public library, I would probably pass on it. ( )
  Auj | Apr 28, 2015 |
Fans of the Little House on the Prairie Books would like this book. Would you be able to survive if you were left on your own in a soddy house on the prairie? Shows how tough you can be when you need to survive. ( )
  TeamDewey | Feb 22, 2014 |
#Bookaday. Wow, wow, wow. Loved this one. Written in strong, descriptive verse, this is the story of a girl abandoned on the prairie, who must survive loneliness and deprivation and the memory of her failures at school. A perfect companion to "The Long Winter." ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
When the new wife of a neighbor has trouble adjusting to life on the Kansas prairie, May is sent to work at the homestead. She doesn't want to go, as she's concerned her schooling will come to an end and she'll be farther behind than she already is. With her dreams of becoming a teacher fading with her new responsibilities and dyslexia, May finds herself in a home where criticism is as common as the grassy plains. One day, May finds herself completely alone on the homestead and months before her father is scheduled to bring her back home. ( )
  laurensx | Jan 30, 2014 |

She is an apple
That did not fall
Far from the tree.

potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
In loving memory of my grandmother
--Gene Starr Craig

For my students in New Mexico, Florida, Virginia, and Louisiana:  There are a few of you whose needs I didn't fully understand and others I could have done better by.  This story is for you.
I won't go.

When a failed wheat crop nearly bankrupts the Betterly family, Pa pulls twelve-year-old May from school and hires her out to a couple new to the Kansas frontier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,167,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible