Creep by Jennifer Hillier

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:professor, TA, sex addict, affair, serial killer, book1

Creep by Jennifer Hillier

Jennifer Hillier's debut novel is without a doubt a page-tuner filled with suspense, drama, and twists. When women are being killed around Seattle no one would guess who is the culprit. Inspired by Radiohead's song "Creep", the "psychopath" uses his love for women to assist in his torture of them. When a psychology professor is kidnapped her fiance is the only one who finds her disappearance to be out of character. Will his love for her provide him with the strength to find her? Will she be able to use her wits to stay alive or escape? ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
From my blog

You will not be able to put this thriller down once you start. It is dark, sexy and edgy suspense. It was good characterization, I embraced all the characters even when I didn't like them.

I thought Sheila was a strong woman but then went on a roller coaster ride with what I thought of her. A professional, a psychology Professor, how do they mistakes but everyone is human right. She made some very bad choices starting a sexual relationship with her student but she is a sex addict that has fell off the wagon and her choice may kill her.

Some people can not be turned down and Ethan will not be sharing Sheila, how can she reject him now. Ethan should have been an art student with the talent he has and on top of being a brilliant psyche student, scary, very scary.

Morris, the fiancé, totally in love with Sheila had the rug pulled from under his feet, the week before their wedding. I enjoyed his story, everything felt true with his reactions.

I did enjoy the genuine responses the characters had with each other, some of those moments were edge of your seat. It was a great intense book with the right amount of tension to keep you engaged and racing to the end.

The ending was brilliant, true meaning of "If I can't have you, no one can't". A psychopath making safety decisions or is it just power and manipulation gone completely wrong.

This was a great escape thriller. Fans of Chelsea Cain and MJ Rose will enjoy this one. ( )
  marcejewels | Sep 20, 2013 |
The title is very promising. But the promise of a good thriller ends there.

The author does not mess around building any suspense. By the third page you know that the main heroine is a professor. She also is a sex addict who is getting married to a former alcoholic. She just ended a short fling with her student, a young man who appears to be a sadistic maniac. Right from the bat we get a good assembly of dysfunctional characters.

Unfortunately all excitement ends there, right in the beginning. I did not need a sex addict, and an AA and a sadistic maniac in one book. Somehow, it was too much for me. I would happily settle with a sadistic maniac. I probably would be fine with a sex addict dating a sadistic maniac. Sometimes too much is really just too much.

See more at http://cautiousreader.wordpress.com/ ( )
  CautiousReader | Aug 29, 2013 |
4 .. Maybe 4.5 stars. 4.25 stars? :D

When I first became an avid reader I read primarily psychological thriller type novels; that’s almost all I read. So when I heard about this one, it not only sounded good, but I realized I had yet to read a single psychological thriller this year I decided to dive into this one right away. My eventual love for this novel was a combination of the long time spent away from the genre and the fact that the novel was truly riveting and I couldn’t stop turning pages (or clicking my kindle button).

Essentially the story is Dr. Sheila Tao, a professor of psychology, and a recovering sex addict. After her first marriage ended when she caught her husband sleeping with his male nurse she went through a hard period in her life where she kept seeking validation of herself as an attractive woman. Waking up in her car one night, half naked, and having no idea what just occurred she knew she had hit rock bottom and needed help. After going through the 12-step recovery process she begins dating a man named Morris and her life seems to be going on the right track again. After the death of her father she relapses and begins an affair with one of her graduate students, Ethan Wolfe. After 3 months into the affair, Morris proposes and Sheila decides to end things with Ethan. What follows is a crazy psychological roller coaster where Sheila realizes Ethan isn’t willing to let her go that easily and that if he can’t have her… well, then nobody can.

This book was exciting enough to have me reading like a madman to get to the end; I finished this in less than 24 hours. The plot wasn’t overly complex, but still managed to throw a few curveballs in that you may or may not see coming. Overall I was incredibly pleased with this novel and will be looking for future books by this author.

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
Not crazy about the ending...the ride there was better than the destination..if you know what I mean.
  Coletters | Apr 1, 2013 |

Dr. Sheila Tao is a professor of psychology. An expert in human behavior. And when she began an affair with sexy, charming graduate student Ethan Wolfe, she knew she was playing with fire. Consumed by lust when they were together, riddled with guilt when they weren't, she knows the three-month fling with her teaching assistant has to end. After all, she finally engaged to a kind and loving investment banker who adores her, and she's taking control of her life. But when she attempts to end the affair, Ethan Wolfe won't let her walk away.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible