The Limehouse Text by Will Thomas

The Limehouse Text

by Will Thomas

This is the first Barker and Llewelyn series book that I have read. It mirrors the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson and also takes place in turn of century London. Thomas does not write the book as "dry" as Arthur Conan Doyle." There is plenty of action and mayhem. Cyrus Barker is the "Holmes" copy but while he seems less cerebral, he is much more dangerous with his martial arts. Llewelyn has a past (prison and widower) that I may gather when I read earlier books from the series. There are a number of interesting characters who add to the mystery and action in the book.

Barker has been trying to solve the murder of his late assistant and there are a number of events that propel him into finding his murderer. The appearance of an ancient Chinese martial arts book provides danger and opportunity for Barker in his quest.

I look forward to reading additional stories in this series. ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
The more books I read I think Barker is a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Doc Savage. The Limehouse Text is another good book with no boring sections just good mysteries and action all the way thru. ( )
  Philip100 | Aug 11, 2016 |
Exciting but not enlightening. Thomas' description of a rainy funeral (p. 87ff) is wonderful and includes the best quote of the book: "Generosity comes with dry socks, I think." (p. 88) ( )
  juniperSun | Oct 28, 2013 |
I didn't like this third Barker and Llewellyn novel as much as the previous two, mostly because Barker seems less a hard-boiled detective and more like Batman or some other superhero in this one. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Victorian era thriller, featuring a Great Detective and his enterprising assistant. I found it a little too reminiscent of Sherlock, with a whole lot more action. Very few female characters ( )
  annbury | Sep 23, 2010 |
East is East, and West is West,
and never the twain shall meet.

—Rudyard Kipling
To Caitlin and Heather, who have always shared my love of all things Oriental
I was the lone Occidental in a room full of Chinamen, and all of them were talking at once.
Generosity comes with dry socks...

In The Limehouse Text, Barker and Llewelyn discover a pawn ticket among the effects of Barker's late assistant, leading them to London's Chinese district, Limehouse. There they retrieve an innocent-looking book that proves to be a rare and secret text stolen from a Nanking monastery, containing lethal martial arts techniques forbidden to the West. With the political situation between the British Empire and Imperial China already unstable, the duo must not only track down a killer intent upon gaining the secret knowledge but also safeguard the text from a snarl of suspects with conflicting interests.

Prowling through an underworld of opium dens, back-room blood sports, and sailors' penny hangs while avoiding the wrath of the district's powerful warlord, Mr. K'ing, Barker and Llewelyn take readers on a perilous tour through the mean streets of turn-of-the-century London.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:59 -0400)

"In The Limehouse Text, Cyrus Barker and Thomas Llewelyn discover a pawn ticket among the effects of Barker's late assistant, leading them to London's Chinese district, Limehouse. There they retrieve an innocent-looking book that proves to be a rare and secret text stolen from a Nanking monastery. When they take it to Ho, Barker's favorite restaurateur, for inspection, they discover that it contains lethal martial arts techniques forbidden to the West. With the political situation between the British Empire and Imperial China already precarious, the duo must safeguard the text from a snarl of suspects with conflicting interests - and track down a killer intent upon gaining the secret knowledge."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Will Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,368,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible