Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (50 Shades… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by E L James

4,777482974 (2.98)5 / 258
Member:Theamwriter
Title:Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (50 Shades Trilogy)
Authors:E L James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: 11th printing, Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*****

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (2011)

The Story of O by Pauline Réage (GYKM)
    Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)
    Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85, Aleana)
    The Gift of Shame (Black Lace) by Sophie Hope-Walker (marcejewels)
    Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: A more grown-up take on female sexuality
    Panic Snap: A Novel by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Topping From Below by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Read the whole series, steaming sex and romance. This one with a little BDSM
    Twenty Tones of Red by Pauline Montford (PaulineMontford)
    PaulineMontford: Twenty Tones is a 'progression' from this series. It is more intense and the heroine actually wants...even craves...domination. This adds a new twist to her erotic adventures.

English (451)  Spanish (12)  German (5)  Catalan (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (482)
Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James
Wanted to read this book when a book I loved written by DJ Wilson was compared to the female counterpart of this author.
Starts out with Anatashia and she has to step in for the editor and get an interview with Grey who runs a huge company.
Christian Grey is under 30 and has fascinated her. She knows nothing of him but has the interview questions to ask him.
He runs a teleco company and is in charge of many people and loves the power. Chapters alternate between the two of them.
The agreement has many rules and she must obey them. I found this to be a bit over the top, it's just not normal to me, being whipped, tied up etc.
Grey has an erotic taste and a dark background full of demons. Hard to follow at times as I'm listening to a book on tape. not sure when it's a thought or if it was spoken out loud.
Like the back story more as it's about her working in the publishing field. Surprised at the ending as it goes into the next book.
. ( )
  jbarr5 | Aug 27, 2014 |
What the hell did I just read.

...seriously. I'm making a inhuman effort not to curse this book with swear words because, after all, I have already read worse things, but I can't imagine what makes people like this book so much. I mean, I understand why Twilight is so popular among teenagers. It's not such a nice book, but it has mystery, it has romance and some sort of fantasy. This one? It has annoying characters and lots of sex scenes.

I can't even properly think of what I have to say about this book. "Boring" is not exactly the word. I admit it, I read it non-stop, but the motivation was more like the eagerness to finish reading it as soon as possible so that I could move on to a better book without having a guilty conscience. The impression that I get is that Fifty Shades of Grey was written for those women who thought that they had found their prince charming, got married and now that their prince charming is fat, bald and lying drunkenly on the couch, can't find another way to consummate their innermost desires other than reading cheap erotica. Only that can be the reason why this book is so exhaustively repetitive. Remember the "oh Edward perfect eyes perfect body mysterious smile yaddle yaddle yaddle"? Replace the sparkling vampire for a ridiculously rich CEO and there you have it. Fifty Shades of Grey in all of its glory.

The worst part is that I almost liked the book in the beginning. The main character, Anastasia Steele, was slightly silly (and which youngster isn't?). The hot guy, Christian Grey, was handsome, powerful and rich. What kind of woman wouldn't want this kind of man in her life? The beginning of the book is almost cute: girl falls in love with guy, guy shows interest for the girl, gives her all the expensive gifts a girl would ever want, guy appears to be a knight in the shining armor. But beware, for he has a secret, dark past! Ooh, shivers.
Nah. That's just the initial feeling. After the first sex scene, the same mood shifts just keep repeating over and over and over again. In the middle of the book I felt the insatiable urge of just abandoning the book. I felt like I was reading the same thing a hundred thousand times. There are no interesting conflicts. Christian's story is barely told properly. Anastasia doesn't know what she wants. And the deepest conversation they had was a meaningless boyfriend/girlfriend chit-chat. Gosh, just... no.

I find no purpose in this book. It doesn't really seem to have anything to tell me. But again, this is the first official "erotica" book that I ever read, so I don't have any grounds to make any comparisons. People who like cheap romances in the best of Twilight's style will probably love it. This is definitely not for me. ( )
1 vote aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
With an ending like this, I would usually be sad, devastated or something along those lines. However, one star goes to this one because instead of leaving me in tears, I laughed. It is beyond silly. That never happened before. It is not a case where a reader hates where the characters are going. I don't give lower ratings when that happens, but I don't like when a heroine is this stupid. It isn't about the big picture at all (what she allowed or did not allow, that doesn't matter). It is about her reactions, thoughts and comments to the things she saw and experienced.
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Worst piece of poop I've ever read. I knew this wouldn't be my cup of tea. Going into it, I thought there had to be something behind this hype but NO. The only thing I can take away from the experience is the social question of why did so many people like this book? What an enigma? Even people who enjoy romance novels, myself NOT included, would know this is the worst written book out there. Maybe, the hype revolves around the fact that the book is so horribly written? It could go down in history as such. The characters suck, the plot is hardly there and the book is so predictable... along with the writing, I stand by my first statement. I've read many "beach" books and enjoyed them so my issue is not with an enjoyable guilty pleasure book. This book is FIFTY SHADES OF CRAP!

Oh, and I never read the last 40 pages... I couldn't, just couldn't. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
I really found Ana to be annoying and the dialogue was not realistic. "Perhaps I shall cook now?" Ana said Jeez and Holy cow/crap in just about every paragraph. The ending took me by surprise, but overall, I didn't like it much. ( )
  booksniff | Aug 20, 2014 |
For Niall,
the master of my universe
I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror.
Du. Gehörst. Mir.

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her too - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

From website- http://www.eljamesauthor.com/home

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind -- until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.… (more)

The Writer's Coffee Shop

Two editions of this book were published by The Writer's Coffee Shop.

Editions: 1612130283, 1612130291

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,341,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible