Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (original 2011; edition 2012)

by E L James

5,307525829 (2.99)5 / 285
Member:car4473
Title:Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Authors:E L James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:***

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (2011)

The Story of O by Pauline Réage (GYKM)
    Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)
    The Harem by Thomas Sweeney (Emma-Reads)
    Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85, Aleana)
    Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: A more grown-up take on female sexuality
    Panic Snap: A Novel by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    The Gift of Shame (Black Lace) by Sophie Hope-Walker (marcejewels)
    Topping From Below by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Read the whole series, steaming sex and romance. This one with a little BDSM
    Twenty Tones of Red by Pauline Montford (PaulineMontford)
    PaulineMontford: Twenty Tones is a 'progression' from this series. It is more intense and the heroine actually wants...even craves...domination. This adds a new twist to her erotic adventures.

English (489)  Spanish (13)  German (5)  Catalan (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (521)
The beginning of a trilogy that centers around Mr. Grey and Anastasia. Mr. Grey is apparently a fantasized person that is all but unattainable in real life. He's a billionaire who is fluent in French, a pilot, athletic-ly gorgeous, a concert level pianist, and apparently the best lover on the planet. His billions come from his self made company where he utilizes its resources to help starving countries. And, he's only 26. What else can he do? Save the world from solar flares, kill the zombie epidemic?

He's just got the one "flaw" where he gets off on beating a girl senseless, which is ok because they sign an agreement (via an included copy of the contract he shares). Anastasia is a moron, I mean graduating college student. She's got unrealized-by-others talent so she can step right over her editor boss and take his job because he sexually harasses her. Ultimately she's a naive, easily manipulated girl, who apparently has an inner goddess. I had to read about her inner goddess perking up so many times, I thought of shooting the book. Every time she'd start to stand up for herself, Mr. Grey would breathe or something else moronic and she'd orgasm right back into his plan.

It could've been so much better if a childish mind hadn't created these two characters and actually worked on developing a plot to add to the sex scenes. This is erotic fiction and pretty bad at that. The only reason so many have read it has to be because of the movie. I am all for people being able to consent to this kind of lifestyle and it doesn't offend me in the least. However, he used her and controlled her beyond what is or should be acceptable. Don't be a doormat, people. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
I found this book really interesting, recomend people to read it before watching the film.
  CarmenAguilera | Mar 24, 2015 |
So many people recommended me to read this book so after a while I decided to finally read it. I finished this book a couple weeks ago. It might be a little obscene and sexual but I think it has some good elements. It is about a young woman with some close and loving friends and a mismatch family. She goes to interview the handsome man who owns the biggest company in the city, GREY. They somehow start liking eachother and they end up having a BDSM (Bondage and discipline; Dominance and submission; Sadism and masochism) relationship but, for sure, Grey has much more experience than her.
  Alejandrademena | Mar 24, 2015 |
It is a very interesting book, Christian Grey is a very wealthy guy that has very weird likes respect to having sex. Anastasia is the journalist that meets him in an interview and they start to have a very strange sexual attraction, then is when he shows her his likes and makes her do things that she couln'd imagine.
  paolaluelmo | Mar 24, 2015 |
After hearing a couple of young guys share their thoughts about this book, that it wasn't good, that it really is bad, well, I just had to put it on my TBR list. I checked it out from the library a week ago. I didn't really know what to expect. After having a quick flick through, I read a couple of passages to my husband, who I think got a little intrigued himself to read this book, [b:Fifty Shades of Grey|10818853|Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)|E.L. James|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1300842729s/10818853.jpg|15732562]. Sharing small details here and there is one thing, but to actually get your nose into it is another, and totally worthwhile in this case (if you're the first romance type).

This book has some good elements. Two strong-willed protagonists, one with a shady background, the other a 'normal' young woman with close friends and loving mismatch family. A decent story, it isn't just boy meets girl next door. The author really explores a BDSM relationship, it just so happens that one has a lot more experience. These relationships or agreements between couples are out there. It isn't just in books any more.

I really enjoyed reading the emails between Grey & Steele. They bring a lighter feel to the story. The little talk and lots of sex get's a little intense at times. The distant moments gives Ana time to think about what she is gets herself into, falling for a well-off, professional man.

I don't want to give too much away but the ending was good. This realisation had to happen. Grey & Steele want different things from a relationship. It makes you want to pick up the next book to see if their spark will be enough to carry on. ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
“Fifty Shades of Grey” is being released in time for Valentine’s Day. That’s a bold move, since the film is not just unromantic but specifically anti-romantic; take your valentine along, by all means, but, be warned, it’ll be like watching “Rosemary’s Baby” at Christmas

For Niall,
the master of my universe
I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror.
Du. Gehörst. Mir.
Why didn't you tell me there was danger? Why didn't you warn me?
Ladies know what to guard against, because they read novels that tell them of these tricks…
*RU OK Ana*
*Where RU Ana*
*Damn it Ana*
*Are you home safe?*
*Call me*
"I agree to the conditions, Angel; because you know best what my punishment ought to be; only-only-don't make it more than I can bear!"

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her too - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

From website- http://www.eljamesauthor.com/home

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind -- until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.… (more)

The Writer's Coffee Shop

2 editions of this book were published by The Writer's Coffee Shop.

Editions: 1612130283, 1612130291

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,255,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible