Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (50 Shades… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by E L James

4,824488959 (2.98)5 / 260
Member:TigerLMS
Title:Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (50 Shades Trilogy)
Authors:E L James
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (2011)

The Story of O by Pauline Réage (GYKM)
    Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)
    Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85, Aleana)
    The Gift of Shame (Black Lace) by Sophie Hope-Walker (marcejewels)
    Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: A more grown-up take on female sexuality
    Panic Snap: A Novel by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Topping From Below by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Read the whole series, steaming sex and romance. This one with a little BDSM
    Twenty Tones of Red by Pauline Montford (PaulineMontford)
    PaulineMontford: Twenty Tones is a 'progression' from this series. It is more intense and the heroine actually wants...even craves...domination. This adds a new twist to her erotic adventures.

English (456)  Spanish (12)  German (5)  Catalan (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (487)
“Well, if you were mine, you wouldn't be able to sit down for a week after the stunt you pulled yesterday.”

I don’t normally read these kinds of books. Erotica isn’t my forte and I admit it, I’m a bit of prude. I don’t particularly like reading sex scenes, because I find them awkward and kind of mechanical. In any case, 50 Shades of Grey was super popular when it came out in bookstores. Mom’s bought them, teens bought them, SNL did a spoof on it, and the amount of articles written about it was crazy.

So I was curious. I knew that this was a Twilight fan fiction turned novel, which isn’t really that big of a deal for me because I liked the first Twilight novel. It was a cute teen love story where a vapid, shallow, live and die for my man, type of girl falls in love with a guy who considers her to be food. It was good, not amazing, not earth shattering, but it was good. Fluffy, but good.

Knowing this, a grown up Twilight didn’t seem all that bad. Only, it kind of was. It wasn’t so much the erotica that bothered me, mainly because I didn’t get that far. And the writing was bad, while bad, wasn’t the worse thing I’ve read. That honour belongs to Sleeping Roses.

The problem I had was that Christian Grey sounded like a psycho. This didn’t make me side eye all the people who love this book, and are eagerly anticipating the movie, but it did make me annoyed and kind of angry. It wasn’t the book, but just what Christian represents. Seeing all of these women saying how they want him and desire him made me question why. Why would someone want someone so controlling, so overbearing, and so threatening in their lives?

"I will punish you when you require it, and it will be painful."

Sure, its fiction and people can dream about whatever scenario they wish to dream about. Frankly, I don’t have a problem with that at all. My issue is that as a Muslim female, I’ve read article after article about how I’m oppressed because the males in my life are controlling, overbearing, and threatening. I can’t wear what I want, because my dad (or husband, or brother, or uncle, or son, or whatever male in my family) tells me what to do. I can’t do “normal” stuff, because my life is restricted to what they want. If I make a wrong move, then I’m punished.

This isn’t true for most Muslim men, but just like any guy in the world, there are a few bad apples. Humans, in general, are kind of cruel, stupid, and horrific if you look closely enough. It doesn’t matter if they’re religious or not, if they’re male or female, cruelty has no boundaries. Of course, to paint humans like this would be stupid because there are many wonderful things about them too.

But the stereotype is there and so while reading 50 Shades I started to question why anyone would like someone like this? I mean, everything he’s saying is classic signs of an abuser. As I read more, I then had my answer.

Hot Guy Syndrome

Hot Guy Syndrome is when a male MC is incredibly handsome, so much so that he can get away with murder, abuse, and possibly even rape, and it would be okay because his eyes are dreamy and his lips are simply to die for. Hahaha, this is the reason why I don’t like New Adult novels by the way. Too many of the male MCs are exactly like this.

"How did you find me?"

"I tracked your cell phone Anastasia."

Oh, of course he did. How is that possible? Is it legal? Stalker, my subconscious whispers at me through the cloud of tequila that's still floating in my brain, but somehow, because it's him, I don't mind.

I had to stop reading this before I started to break things, because really now. Really?!?!?!! Just like how the stereotypical Muslim man is considered an abusive douchebag, Christian Grey would be in the same league as them. You don’t meet someone once and then say, “Hey, you know what would be fun? To place a tracker on her phone and then chastise her when someone she considers as a friend tries to make a move on her.”

That’s a guaranteed restraining order right there. GUARANTEED, no questions asked. I wouldn't smile and wish that he kissed me. I'd run away, dropping my phone in the process.

Once again, this behaviour is seen as charming, when it's scary. Mad scary in fact.

The stereotypes for Muslim men are just that, stereotypes and gross generalizations. I don’t deny that there are men out that who use religion to abuse their wives, but I also know that they don’t represent the religion. Never have and never should. Men abuse women everywhere (and women abuse men too) and no group is free from that sadly, but to paint men from a religion that encompasses so many different races, cultures, and places, like this is just ignorant.

Sadly, in the case of Christian Grey, he is described likes these Muslim men and then some. He’s controlling, he’s stalkerish, and he likes to tell women that he’ll physically hurt them before he introduced his fetish to them. The only differences is that rich, handsome, has a freakishly large index finger (think ET), and has a dark moody past that makes you want to protect him. Other than that, there's no real difference. At least, none that I've see.

Overall: I don’t get the fascination with 50 Shades of Grey or with Christian Grey for that matter. I resent that he is considered a god sent to women while men from my religion get bashed to high heaven for being perceived in almost exactly the same way. This may be a stupid reason for hating a book, but it is what it is.
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
LOL ... Okay so this is definitely a series I have to start reading soon ... Although these books are not in stores here in Belgium, they did make it in the news today! Apparently, they're such a success in the US and Australia, that all stores have run out and can't keep up with the demand! Damn, now I'm curious ... :-) ( )
  Tinne.Joosen | Sep 8, 2014 |
This series is literally the worst I've ever read, and I've read a lot of books. The writing is lackluster, there is zero left to the imagination, words are used and re-used. I skimmed the first 100 pages, got to a sex scene, and those weren't even worth all the hype. To put it directly, if you're on the fence, don't cross to the other side. Not even remotely worth the time. I gave it 2 stars because there is a slight story behind all of it, so it's not all sex, sex, sex. But, if you're looking for erotic stories, there are better out there than this drivel. ( )
  pennylane78 | Sep 6, 2014 |
Wow. More than I imagined. Now that's it's morning and I don't need sleep, let me review this a little better.

When these books first came out, I was told (by another author) that the story line came from the Twilight series. I read the first 2 Twilight books and 1/2 of the 3rd one before I called it quits. I couldn't handle it, didn't like it so there was no way I was attempting these.

Since their release, there has been so much hype and I'd heard enough that I decided to take this book with me on vacation ;) - yes, for that reason and I was completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it - even if her "inner goddess" annoyed me at times. The only two similarities I could even come up with between Twilight and Fifty Shades is that apparently both Edward and Christian are perfect and Bella and Anastasia are both completely obsessed.

That said, I guess I need to start Fifty Shades Darker. ( )
  Sharn | Sep 6, 2014 |
I really hats that I want to read the next book. All I can think as I read this is I want to throw a thesaurus at her face! I'm glad I didn't purchase them but I already have the second book on loan from a friend. ( )
  pennylane78 | Sep 5, 2014 |
For Niall,
the master of my universe
I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror.
Du. Gehörst. Mir.

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her too - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

From website- http://www.eljamesauthor.com/home

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind -- until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.… (more)

The Writer's Coffee Shop

Two editions of this book were published by The Writer's Coffee Shop.

Editions: 1612130283, 1612130291

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,703,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible